Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What I Am Buying Today.
Added CRWD, MSFT, AMZN, GOOG, ABT and O
While I enjoy reading of everyone's recent purchases and researching some of them as well, I am curious about some of the purchase criterion.

Many are bought on the dip, clear reasoning.
Many are not dividend growers or even dividend payers, unclear reasoning given the purpose of the forum.
Some, like O above, are bought as they are heading into a resistance level after making nice up move, confusing reasoning.

Trying to learn and understand like everyone else here.
(07-20-2024, 07:51 AM)NilesMike Wrote: While I enjoy reading of everyone's recent purchases and researching some of them as well, I am curious about some of the purchase criterion.

Many are not dividend growers or even dividend payers, unclear reasoning given the purpose of the forum.
Some, like O above, are bought as they are heading into a resistance level after making nice up move, confusing reasoning.

Over the years I evolved as an investor, at one time I was strictly MF/ETF type investments mostly through a kplan. I did have a couple of DRIPS way back when commissions were on the high side. Those DRIPS were cashed out when I bought my first home back in the mid to late 1990's. In 1998, I opened up a ROTH through Vanguard, again with MF/ETF type investments. Eventually, I got into individual equities, mostly focusing on dividend growth equities. It was an easy concept to follow and it seemed reasonable, of course there ended up being gobs of financial blogs and a FIRE movement that a lot focused on these dividend growth equities. After a bit, I changed my focus on more growth, low to no yielding stocks and it has worked out well. I would not have been able to accumulate what I have if I stayed with a strict DGI philosophy, with investing one has to have their eyes and mind wide open and not pigeon-hole themselves into on e type of style, which many do, even the pro's. As I slowly started to move in another direction, I noticed if I mentioned something that didn't follow the rules of DGI, it was not uncommon to get attacked, that was a big red flag for me, it felt like there were certain people trying to protect their "service". It was also a red flag when these bloggers or posters (at other sites/blogs/services) talk a whole lot of percentages but no dollar amounts, it's too easy to play games and fool people with percentages, but dollar amounts is a different story.

I have some stock screeners that I use within my Fidelity account, I don't follow the DGI formula and in fact I don't even use yield/dividend as a search criteria, I leave it blank. What I found is that dividend producing equities still end up on the stock screen search, I don't buy a stock concerning the dividend, but I do buy stocks that give dividends, but I have also accumulated shares of companies that never paid a dividend that started paying a dividend such as META and GOOG/GOOGL. While I was accumulating GOOG/GOOGL, gawd forbid if you mentioned GOOG/GOOGL on certain pages, they attacked you, it was crazy! Well, after with time accumulating over 1500 shares of GOOG/GOOGL, guess who initiates a dividend, guess who now wants to buy GOOG/GOOGL? What some people don't understand is that while a company is growing, one can sell shares (I know TABOO!!) to create their own dividend. I bought, and sold GOOG/GOOGL along the way to it paying a dividend, I didn't sell it to create income, I sold to diversify into another equity, but I could have easily sold to create a income stream but I'm still in the accumulation phase so I don't, not yet anyways. Anyways, I bought, sold all the way to 1500 shares of a non-dividend payer that ended up being a dividend payer.

I like my strategy, at 53 and if I retired today I would have 3.8 million. I'm going to work another 6 years until age 59, it was originally 62 but decided on 59. I've been gifting some stock to some loved ones, and I'm also saving up for a total home remodel, hence why I'll work till 59, plus to get away from any IRS game rules to access those retirement dollars. I prefer things simple as possible.
Added a few LLY

Anyone buying CRWD Wink
(07-22-2024, 07:39 AM)rayray Wrote:
(07-20-2024, 07:51 AM)NilesMike Wrote: While I enjoy reading of everyone's recent purchases and researching some of them as well, I am curious about some of the purchase criterion.

Over the years I evolved as an investor, at one time I was strictly MF/ETF type investments mostly through a kplan. I did have a couple of DRIPS way back when commissions were on the high side. Those DRIPS were cashed out when I bought my first home back in the mid to late 1990's. In 1998, I opened up a ROTH through Vanguard, again with MF/ETF type investments. Eventually, I got into individual equities, mostly focusing on dividend growth equities. It was an easy concept to follow and it seemed reasonable, of course there ended up being gobs of financial blogs and a FIRE movement that a lot focused on these dividend growth equities. After a bit, I changed my focus on more growth, low to no yielding stocks and it has worked out well. I would not have been able to accumulate what I have if I stayed with a strict DGI philosophy, with investing one has to have their eyes and mind wide open and not pigeon-hole themselves into on e type of style, which many do, even the pro's. As I slowly started to move in another direction, I noticed if I mentioned something that didn't follow the rules of DGI, it was not uncommon to get attacked, that was a big red flag for me, it felt like there were certain people trying to protect their "service". It was also a red flag when these bloggers or posters (at other sites/blogs/services) talk a whole lot of percentages but no dollar amounts, it's too easy to play games and fool people with percentages, but dollar amounts is a different story.

I have some stock screeners that I use within my Fidelity account, I don't follow the DGI formula and in fact I don't even use yield/dividend as a search criteria, I leave it blank. What I found is that dividend producing equities still end up on the stock screen search, I don't buy a stock concerning the dividend, but I do buy stocks that give dividends, but I have also accumulated shares of companies that never paid a dividend that started paying a dividend such as META and GOOG/GOOGL. While I was accumulating GOOG/GOOGL, gawd forbid if you mentioned GOOG/GOOGL on certain pages, they attacked you, it was crazy! Well, after with time accumulating over 1500 shares of GOOG/GOOGL, guess who initiates a dividend, guess who now wants to buy GOOG/GOOGL? What some people don't understand is that while a company is growing, one can sell shares (I know TABOO!!) to create their own dividend. I bought, and sold GOOG/GOOGL along the way to it paying a dividend, I didn't sell it to create income, I sold to diversify into another equity, but I could have easily sold to create a income stream but I'm still in the accumulation phase so I don't, not yet anyways. Anyways, I bought, sold all the way to 1500 shares of a non-dividend payer that ended up being a dividend payer.

I like my strategy, at 53 and if I retired today I would have 3.8 million. I'm going to work another 6 years until age 59, it was originally 62 but decided on 59. I've been gifting some stock to some loved ones, and I'm also saving up for a total home remodel, hence why I'll work till 59, plus to get away from any IRS game rules to access those retirement dollars. I prefer things simple as possible.
Thanks for the interesting ideas.
Planned retirement age is a great discussion to have. I'm realizing now that I have other factors to consider outside of when I think I will have enough funds. I'm going to put it out of mind for the time being Smile

Good news is that I have child support off after Friday's payment. Bad news is that all the money saved is going to go to Uber rides for my daughter and pet care for the dog... So I still don't really "come up for air" and start being able to invest monthly like everyone else here until she graduates next May. And then after that, I don't really know what happens.
Added Crwd . Took a decent position in slv.

Slv play is based on a the gap in gold and silver prices, reduced interest rate scenario and higher demand for silver in tech manufacturing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Picked up some UPS on the negative news. Probably grabbing a falling knife….?

(07-23-2024, 11:35 AM)AZSportsman Wrote: Picked up some UPS on the negative news.  Probably grabbing a falling knife….?

Possibly a fallen knife lol. I just cant get behind UPS. Its been disappointment after disappointment. Unless I get in under $100 I wont purchase. But I hope you do well. 

How about KO. Its been on a nice run. It's my 2nd largerst holding. I'm in $1.34 cents since owing it back in 1984. This will be going to my grandkids someday. 

I pretty much buy and hold for life. But lately It been a lot of trading in and out in my fun account as I call it. It's up 88.7% since March. 

I did trim a bunch today like BPOP, DHI, HIBB, IRM and OHI 

Took some new positions in PINS, ASTS, RHHBY, CCL, HOOD (These are I feel like getting in low for the future) All 5+ year holdings
Bought some MSFT, AVGO, NVDA, TMUS, VZ, TT, and TD
I love when people panic

Added MSFT, AVGO, CRWD, PANW, GOOG, AOS, FIVE, AMZN, GD, SCHW, MCD, SBUX and

Trimmed some ETF's and bonds to cover buys today
(07-24-2024, 01:23 PM)Marknew Wrote: I love when people panic

I have some company stock I can sell next week when the trading window opens.  It does seem like everything has gone on sale at the best possible time for my new purchases.  Hopefully it all shoots up right afterwards!