Dividend Growth Forum
Portfolio Tracking - Printable Version

+- Dividend Growth Forum (http://DividendGrowthForum.com)
+-- Forum: Dividend Growth Investing (http://DividendGrowthForum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=15)
+--- Forum: My Portfolio (http://DividendGrowthForum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Portfolio Tracking (/showthread.php?tid=793)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Portfolio Tracking - benjamen - 12-08-2014

Bearing in mind that I only started in 2014, this is my current portfolio:
PG
MO
CVX
MSEX
T
BBL
GE

I want to get my transaction costs under 0.5%.
Total Broker Commissions paid / Total Portfolio Buy Price = 0.57%

Portfolio Yield on Cost: 4.61%

Thoughts?

RE: Portfolio Tracking - benjamen - 12-08-2014

Sector Notes:
Where my dividends originate, broken down by sector:
Consumer Staples 23.6%
Energy 8.9%
Telecommunication Services 21.4%
Utilities 15.9%
Materials 14.8%
Industrials 15.5%

I am still missing Consumer Discretionary, Health Care, Financials, and Information Technology stocks.

RE: Portfolio Tracking - Dividend Watcher - 12-08-2014

Great start, benjamen. Don't know anything about MSEX; the rest I wouldn't have a problem holding. Remember, the tortoise wins the race.

RE: Portfolio Tracking - Kerim - 12-09-2014

I agree -- looks like a good start. I also calculate something like your "Buy Yield." It is essentially the portfolio's yield on cost. But I also keep an eye on current yield (total dividends / current value of all shares).

RE: Portfolio Tracking - Roadmap2Retire - 12-10-2014

Looks like a good start, benjamen. I am not familiar with MSEX either, but looks like your starting base is great and should be able to build on it. Going forward, I'd look to diversifying by adding more companies to the portfolio...as it'll reduce the risk considerably.

RE: Portfolio Tracking - EricL - 12-10-2014

MSEX's dividend growth is a little slow for my tastes but overall I like what you've done.

RE: Portfolio Tracking - hendi_alex - 12-15-2014

I would let the weighting of telecom drift down a bit, as the main players are in the process of beating themselves up for quite a while. Maybe equipment providers will still do fine, but the telecoms themselves will likely be under long term pressure.

RE: Portfolio Tracking - EricL - 12-15-2014

(12-15-2014, 08:57 AM)hendi_alex Wrote: I would let the weighting of telecom drift down a bit, as the main players are in the process of beating themselves up for quite a while. Maybe equipment providers will still do fine, but the telecoms themselves will likely be under long term pressure.

Welcome back handi_alex, missed seeing your posts around here!

RE: Portfolio Tracking - hendi_alex - 12-15-2014

My investing style doesn't match the DG strategy so much as I tend to be a much more active trader and market timer with most of the portfolio. The boring long term income portfolio gets relatively low action, so there is not usually much relevant to post. Still I come to the site occasionally and look at the posts and contribute where my comments may be relevant. I have done a bit of tweaking to the longer term portfolio so will post an update soon. However, even that portfolio has little in common with the big cap DG stocks that usually are the topic of this board. When/if the market implodes again, I'll buy some of those big names, but only with a minimum yield of 4% for some like KO or PG and of 5% for others like DE or CAT.

RE: Portfolio Tracking - benjamen - 12-15-2014

(12-15-2014, 08:57 AM)hendi_alex Wrote: I would let the weighting of telecom drift down a bit, as the main players are in the process of beating themselves up for quite a while. Maybe equipment providers will still do fine, but the telecoms themselves will likely be under long term pressure.

Typically, I purchase shares in a single stock at the end of each month. I usually invest whatever cash I have on hand after expenses. I just happened to have a good amount of cash available the month I picked up T and it is returning a high dividend compared to other purchases I have made. I do not plan on picking up any more telecoms for a while as I have entire market sectors I have yet to invest into. I am still missing Industrials, Consumer Discretionary, Health Care, Financials, and Information Technology stocks.

RE: Portfolio Tracking - benjamen - 01-16-2015

As I begin the process of selecting this month's stock purchase, I do not see many desirable purchases. Most stocks are overpriced at this point. The energy sector has some deals, but I think we have a long way to go before we see the worst in oil.

Outside of energy, what isn't overpriced right now?
Huh

RE: Portfolio Tracking - ChadR - 01-16-2015

Outside of energy, I like IBM and MCD at these levels.