Dividend Growth Forum
DGI For The DIY - Printable Version

+- Dividend Growth Forum (http://DividendGrowthForum.com)
+-- Forum: Dividend Growth Investing (http://DividendGrowthForum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=15)
+--- Forum: My Portfolio (http://DividendGrowthForum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: DGI For The DIY (/showthread.php?tid=260)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34

RE: 401k Portfolio - DividendGarden - 02-02-2017

(01-27-2017, 03:19 PM)EricL Wrote: Looks like a couple week wait now until DPS, CHD, and GILD's announcements.

I'm looking forward to all three!

RE: 401k Portfolio - EricL - 02-08-2017

Had two more announced increases yesterday!

Gilead, Church & Dwight Boost Dividends

RE: 401k Portfolio - EricL - 02-18-2017

Two more increases, this time from Coke and Dr Pepper!

Coke, Dr Pepper Boost Dividends

RE: 401k Portfolio - rayray - 02-27-2017

Eric, just got done reading your last blog post and checking out your portfolio PDF, site is one of the pleasing to the eyes I've seen with very good info, great job! Your portfolio has really morphed into a combination of great dividend producing company's, again kudos!

I notice you deploy monies once that amount reaches $500 and your goal is an annual return of 12%.

Questions:

As your portfolio increases in value and increases in overall dividend payments do you plan on deploying funds at a larger amount then $500 in order to decrease costs?

Your annual return of 12%, does this percentage include dividends and new money deployed into the fund?

Just curious, because as my own portfolio has grown over the years and particularly since I moved into a DGI portfolio, in the first quarter of 2014, I've become more aware of "costs". In the last year, Ive gone into a restructuring mode in all aspects of our lives (my family) in order to save on these overall costs such as mortgage refi, loan payments, loan rates, coupons, cell phone bills etc etc etc. On the portfolio front, as I add additional monies in addition to the monthly dividends I now tend to deploy those funds in larger amounts then I have in the past. The more assets I have accumulated the more I want to keep for myself, strange, when I had less I didn't mind paying that trading fee, now I'm less willing to part with those pennies on the dollar, which in turn slows me down and makes me a better overall investor.

I personally shoot for a return of 7% not counting new money.

RE: 401k Portfolio - EricL - 02-27-2017

rayray,

Thanks, glad you enjoyed the site!

I don't really see the $500 investment amount changing in my public portfolio as it is based on the amount of contributions going in, and that won't be changing much going forward. I reinvest all dividends back into the companies that pay them, so the only source of funds for making buys is from fresh capital or by trading out of an existing position. The $500 amount allows roughly two purchases per quarter.

As to returns, the 12% is based on capital appreciation plus dividends. So roughly speaking a 4% yield would require an 8% growth rate while a 2% yield would require a 10% growth rate if valuations remain on a level basis. Of course, buying stocks below fair value gives a boost to return potential as stocks normalize to fair value levels.

However, the 12% number is far from set in stone, there are plenty of companies I hold that don't meet those numbers every year. It's just something I keep in mind when making new purchases, and is something I've put a bit more focus on lately after getting the core of my portfolio built. Generally speaking, I'm not going to sell out of a position just because it doesn't meet the 12% goal, but for new purchases its something I consider when putting together my watch list of potential buys.

RE: 401k Portfolio - EricL - 03-10-2017

Here is a little write-up I did about some recent dividend increase announcements in my portfolio. 

As always, comments/feedback/questions are welcome. 

5 New Dividend Boosts Have Me All Smiles!

Thanks, have a great weekend!

RE: 401k Portfolio - DividendGarden - 03-14-2017

(03-10-2017, 10:35 AM)EricL Wrote: Here is a little write-up I did about some recent dividend increase announcements in my portfolio. 

Good article.  I like these kinds of articles, where expectations are compared with actual results.  Maybe this could evolve into a monthly update of expected dividend increases.  I know that David Fish puts out something similar on SA, but this is a different dividend resource, so it would have a different audience that could benefit from that.

RE: 401k Portfolio - EricL - 03-14-2017

(03-14-2017, 10:10 AM)DividendGarden Wrote:
(03-10-2017, 10:35 AM)EricL Wrote: Here is a little write-up I did about some recent dividend increase announcements in my portfolio. 

Good article.  I like these kinds of articles, where expectations are compared with actual results.  Maybe this could evolve into a monthly update of expected dividend increases.  I know that David Fish puts out something similar on SA, but this is a different dividend resource, so it would have a different audience that could benefit from that.

Thanks, it was kind of a fun one to do. I'm working on the final update for it and comparing the 11 increases with my guesses.

Haven't decided if I will do it every month though, as I am working on getting updates put out for some more of my sector based watch lists (Discretionary and Healthcare).

So many things to write, so little time!

RE: 401k Portfolio - EricL - 03-26-2017

Here is a blog post I wrote about my recent purchase of Nike.

I "Just Did It" And Finally Made The Nike Plunge

Enjoy!

RE: 401k Portfolio - DividendGarden - 03-29-2017

(03-26-2017, 11:39 AM)EricL Wrote: Here is a blog post I wrote about my recent purchase of Nike.

I "Just Did It" And Finally Made The Nike Plunge

Enjoy!

Great article, and I've owned NKE for a few years.  It's in the "growth" portion of my portfolio, along with DIS, V, etc.  Low yielders, sure, but the DGI and capital appreciation is great.

RE: 401k Portfolio - EricL - 03-29-2017

(03-29-2017, 09:15 AM)DividendGarden Wrote: Great article, and I've owned NKE for a few years.  It's in the "growth" portion of my portfolio, along with DIS, V, etc.  Low yielders, sure, but the DGI and capital appreciation is great.

Thanks. I've been making a concerted effort of late to add more growth to my portfolio. I have most of my higher yielding positions filled out and I'll let them compound away, but with another 25 years to go I think its worth getting more of the double-digit growers into the mix. Some examples from the last year or so are BDX, CVS, LOW, NKE and I've also added BA, COR, DG, EXR, FB, HD, and VFC in another portfolio I own.

Still looking at potential future adds in companies like MA, TSCO, HRL, NEE, UNH, AOS, BLK, HAS, AWK and DIS.

RE: 401k Portfolio - DividendGarden - 03-29-2017

(03-29-2017, 09:44 AM)EricL Wrote: I have most of my higher yielding positions filled out and I'll let them compound away, but with another 25 years to go I think its worth getting more of the double-digit growers into the mix.

That's exactly my plan.  At some point, I'll shift pooled dividends into higher yielders (3-5%, nothing crazy).