Dividend Growth Forum
2022 Perfect Portfolio Competition - Printable Version

+- Dividend Growth Forum (http://DividendGrowthForum.com)
+-- Forum: Dividend Growth Investing (http://DividendGrowthForum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=15)
+--- Forum: Individual Dividend Growth Stocks (http://DividendGrowthForum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=35)
+--- Thread: 2022 Perfect Portfolio Competition (/showthread.php?tid=2046)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

2022 Perfect Portfolio Competition - fenders53 - 12-08-2021

It's that time of year again.  2021 contest will wrap up soon. This will already be our 4th annual competition.  We'll see who takes it this year.  All forum members are encouraged to participate.  

Previous winners

2019- fendera53
2020-Divemenow
2021-I'm not saying it's over but it's over unless Ken's port is snake bitten the last few weeks. 

We'll keep it even simpler this year.  It will run from JAN 1 to DEC 31 2022.  Try to have your picks in by very early January, but we can keep it open a few extra days to get more participants.  Enter your picks anytime.  You may edit them as often as you like until the contest starts.

1.  Pick five dividend stocks.  Not confined to the US.  No ETFs, options or penny stocks.  We are trying to use our individual stock picking abilities and eliminate any use of leverage.   

2.  If you wish, you may waive the dividend rule for one stock to allow adding a growth pick.      

3.  We won't split hairs but please abide by the spirit of the rules. Make an honest attempt at diversification like you would if this was your real port.

4.  It is OK to use stocks that somebody has already put in their port.  

Although I started this, I am open to your ideas for rule changes.  Suggestions welcomed but we need them within a few days.   I will place my picks as an example in the next post.  I will edit all of them later.  

LINK TO SPREADSHEET

RE: 2022 Perfect Portfolio Competition - fenders53 - 12-08-2021

fenders53

1. FB
2. TXRH
3. MSFT
4. RTX
5. EOG

RE: 2022 Perfect Portfolio Competition - ken-do-nim - 12-09-2021

Is there a yield minimum like 1% or 1.5%?

RE: 2022 Perfect Portfolio Competition - fenders53 - 12-09-2021

(12-09-2021, 08:23 AM)ken-do-nim Wrote: Is there a yield minimum like 1% or 1.5%?
No, I'm trying to keep it simple, and the run up in stocks has killed initial yields for many good stocks.  This is just for fun so I'd like to stick with the "spirit of the rules" as our guide.  

i.e. IMO AAPL IS a DGI stock even though the yield is weak for now.  A collection of five $500 tickers that pay a 25 cent quarterly dividend is gaming the rules as nobody would call that an income or DGI port with a straight face.   Big Grin

Fair enough?

RE: 2022 Perfect Portfolio Competition - DaveVK - 12-09-2021

(12-08-2021, 08:00 PM)fenders53 Wrote: It's that time of year again.  2021 contest will wrap up soon. This will already be our 4th annual competition.  We'll see who takes it this year.  All forum members are encouraged to participate.  

Previous winners

2019- fendera53
2020-Divemenow
2021-I'm not saying it's over but it's over unless Ken's port is snake bitten the last few weeks. 

We'll keep it even simpler this year.  It will run from JAN 1 to DEC 31 2022.  Try to have your picks in by very early January, but we can keep it open a few extra days to get more participants.  Enter your picks anytime.  You may edit them as often as you like until the contest starts.

1.  Pick five dividend stocks.  Not confined to the US.  No ETFs, options or penny stocks.  We are trying to use our individual stock picking abilities and eliminate any use of leverage.   

2.  If you wish, you may waive the dividend rule for one stock to allow adding a growth pick.      

3.  We won't split hairs but please abide by the spirit of the rules. Make an honest attempt at diversification like you would if this was your real port.

Although I started this, I am open to your ideas for rule changes.  Suggestions welcomed but we need them within a few days.   I will place my picks as an example in the next post.  I will edit all of them later.  

So the scoring is total return? Not like total dividends?
Dave

RE: 2022 Perfect Portfolio Competition - fenders53 - 12-09-2021

Yes total return. We want to keep the dividend theme. Otherwise it might turn into an IBD momentum sort of thing. Capital appreciation likely decides the winner, but we definitely include the dividends. We'll track it with Portfolio Tracker after we get all the participants ports.

RE: 2022 Perfect Portfolio Competition - divmenow - 12-15-2021

(12-09-2021, 04:50 PM)DaveVK Wrote:
(12-08-2021, 08:00 PM)fenders53 Wrote: It's that time of year again.  2021 contest will wrap up soon. This will already be our 4th annual competition.  We'll see who takes it this year.  All forum members are encouraged to participate.  

Previous winners

2019- fendera53
2020-Divemenow

Dave

We have a new leader KBLAKE at 35.45%

TOP 4 still have a shot

KBLAKE - 35.54%
KEN DO - 33.02%
CHAD R - 30.45%
DIVMENOW - 30.34%

I'm still alive to repeat  Big Grin

And why are we taking stock advice from Fenders? He's only up 12% hahaha  Big Grin

I wont be doing my picks until the end of the year tax selling. is over Too early yet to choose names lol

RE: 2022 Perfect Portfolio Competition - ken-do-nim - 12-15-2021

I really meant to have said OXLC instead of ORC, I swear!

RETL will rebound now that the Fed decision is over.

For 2022 I have 3 of the equities chosen, waffling over the other 2.

RE: 2022 Perfect Portfolio Competition - fenders53 - 12-15-2021

Wow, maybe 1/3rd of the gang finally beats SPY this year. I am thinking about it but will wait until after Christmas. One will be a beaten down SPAC. A lot of Div stocks are on a hard dip so we have choices this year.

RE: 2022 Perfect Portfolio Competition - fenders53 - 12-16-2021

(12-15-2021, 05:40 PM)divmenow Wrote:
(12-09-2021, 04:50 PM)DaveVK Wrote:

Previous winners

2019- fendera53
2020-Divemenow

Dave

We have a new leader KBLAKE at 35.45%

TOP 4 still have a shot

KBLAKE - 35.54%
KEN DO - 33.02%
CHAD R - 30.45%
DIVMENOW - 30.34%

I'm still alive to repeat  Big Grin

And why are we taking stock advice from Fenders? He's only up 12% hahaha  Big Grin

I wont be doing my picks until the end of the year tax selling. is over Too early yet to choose names lol
Hey I'm just trying to be a game show host here.   Big Grin

I updated Post #2 which is now my preliminary picks, just to get the fun started.  We'll see where the market is after Christmas.  I am going to make sure a couple of my stocks have pulled back.

Ken's fate for 2021 contest will completely depend on his penchant for leverage.  He could win or lose it the last two trading days.

Thanks to all for playing.  I know it's just a game but it does provide a little entertainment, and we do seem to put a little thought into it.  I wish we all lived closer so we could play this for a real wager like tacos or something important lol.

RE: 2022 Perfect Portfolio Competition - ken-do-nim - 12-16-2021

Tacos!!!!

I do have a lot of money tied up in RETL. So ... go retail! Get out there everyone and buy stuff!!! Smile

RE: 2022 Perfect Portfolio Competition - fenders53 - 12-16-2021

(12-16-2021, 11:43 AM)ken-do-nim Wrote: Tacos!!!!

I do have a lot of money tied up in RETL.  So ... go retail!  Get out there everyone and buy stuff!!! Smile
I think that one may go sideways to slightly down into end of year.  I suspect Christmas sales are fine, but the market looks ahead.  I need to scroll back and see what Kblake picked. I suspect Chad has AAPL and maybe some oil IIRC?