Dividend Growth Forum
What I Am Buying Today. - Printable Version

+- Dividend Growth Forum (http://DividendGrowthForum.com)
+-- Forum: Dividend Growth Investing (http://DividendGrowthForum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=15)
+--- Forum: Dividend Growth Investing (http://DividendGrowthForum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Thread: What I Am Buying Today. (/showthread.php?tid=2014)

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - NilesMike - 09-14-2021

(09-14-2021, 05:10 PM)Dividends from Scratch Wrote: Can someone tell me what's the attraction of SMG? I see a yield of 1.82%, 5 year DGR of 5%?

Actually, nothing attractive about it.

Potential support of 176 didn't hold, 167 didn't hold, now 151 didn't hold. I think mid 120's should hold. No need to buy it here IMO

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - fenders53 - 09-14-2021

(09-14-2021, 05:57 PM)NilesMike Wrote:
(09-14-2021, 05:10 PM)Dividends from Scratch Wrote: Can someone tell me what's the attraction of SMG? I see a yield of 1.82%, 5 year DGR of 5%?

Actually, nothing attractive about it.

Potential support of 176 didn't hold, 167 didn't hold, now 151 didn't hold. I think mid 120's should hold. No need to buy it here IMO
SMG was a short-term play that was right in my face.  I helped out in garden for a day or so at HD last year during lockdown.  We ran out of deck lumber so fertilizer was a thing.  Old men lined up with $500 carts as far as the eye could see lol.  It's normal for lawn fertilizer sales to be robust in spring of course, but this was like a rush on toilet paper because it's very important to fertilize your lawn during a pandemic.  Smile

I can't speak for Divmenow but he has been in the habit of buying stocks that get a hard whack on an earnings miss or whatever. I and some others have as well with considerable success. As long as it was a solid company it's been working for many months. Buying every dip paid off better than average. I am back to waiting a few days for things to settle out and then maybe jump in after some research. Market is more skittish now and things may be more normal? I'm not a big fan of Cramer's strategies but he has preached a "three day rule" forever. It's not terrible advice. In normal times it's rare for a stock to get crushed and V bottom bounce off that. All I know with certainty is most of my most painful plays involved trying to catch a falling knife, or averaging down WAY before the market had time to calm down and stabilize a panicky share price. Anyway fertilizer sales will soon be next to zero in half the country until next spring. Little chance of a huge upturn in sales to spike the stock.

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - fenders53 - 09-14-2021

If anyone here tracks a site that has reliable and current insider trading info could I ask you to check out ALE? It's the only utility I actually trade. I never miss an earnings call and have owned them off and on for 25 years. It's falling WAY faster than the sector. I was out when it started but have been buying a lot of shares thinking this was a normal dip. Their regulated business is affected by the iron ore mining industry so that isn't it. It's the reason the stock languished the past few years but that can't be it now. Aggressive on out of state renewables projects with a goal of being 70% renewables by 2030 (total portfolio, not their regulated customers). Cleaner every year so I don't see political risk at the moment and those projects have better margins than their regulated biz. There is no news but something smells. It's a opportunity or I am a fool but I think somebody knows something. Near 4% dividend is reliable so I can wait out temp problems.

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - Mr1share - 09-15-2021

added DUK, SMG and DLTR

And there is plenty to like about SMG. 14 is the lowest PE this has seen in years. I'm happy with the .66 cent payout each quarter and they just raised the dividend. Buy low and sell hi I thought was a good strategy lol

Pot is going to be a big grower for them in the future. All the companies need to come to them for supplies.

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - stockguru - 09-15-2021

added XEL, DUK, and VZ

What I Am Buying Today. - vbin - 09-15-2021

Added to Tencent.

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - fenders53 - 09-15-2021

(09-15-2021, 09:04 AM)Mr1share Wrote: added DUK, SMG and DLTR

And there is plenty to like about SMG. 14 is the lowest PE this has seen in years. I'm happy with the .66 cent payout each quarter and they just raised the dividend. Buy low and sell hi I thought was a good strategy lol

Pot is going to be a big grower for them in the future. All the companies need to come to them for supplies.
Sounds like internet narrative.  1% of their volume vs all the lawns and golf courses in America maybe? Maybe you have more specific projections? It is a good company but that smells like hype kids throw around on social media.  Fertilizing organically is an option as well. 

I would invest in SMG but the stock price clearly has no floor at the moment. Disagreement is what makes a market and this forum tick. Smile I hope it goes well for you. It should in the long term. My crystal ball says 125ish when 2022 earnings and revenue growth is negative. We'll see.

And to any of the newish posters here..... I'd like to think most everyone here is trying to help each other. I am pleased when everyone likes my latest investment, but I don't come here for the cheerleading. I post a lot and when I miss a fact I very often get called out. I'd rather hear a dissenting opinion than build a position very likely to lose money in the near future. If anyone here hurts my feelings I'll go research it more and make corrective actions if necessary.

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - fenders53 - 09-15-2021

Entered orders to sell all my equity mutuals at the close. SPY, Midcap and Russell 2K. This makes me nervous but the plan is to get them into ETFs tomorrow. I hate that I can't add to my mutuals on hard down days so that is the motivation to make the move. Fees are basically the same.

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - divmenow - 09-15-2021

Today was one of those days that I felt like participating lol

Took a full position in HRL

Added MED, SMG, CARR, NEM, AXP, FDX, XEL, VZ, NOC, NUSI and DLTR

Bought a tech stock finally in ADSK

Sold some TROW, ALB, BEN, ORI, PXD, SPG and (These names have all doubled or tripled since I bought last year) .Kept some shares just to follow them.

For those that say they cant find buys in this market. Your just not looking hard enough Wink I have others that are nearing 52 weeks lows I will be pulling the trigger soon as well. Stocks I never thought would give me an opportunity like they are now.

Sold out of my Sept $100 Puts in AVAV and my $146 puts in QCOM

I feel like like I was at the roulette table today lol

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - MrFortune - 09-15-2021

(09-15-2021, 03:00 PM)divmenow Wrote: Today was one of those days that I felt like participating lol

Took a full position in HRL

Added MED, SMG, CARR, NEM, AXP, FDX, XEL, VZ, NOC, NUSI and DLTR

Bought a tech stock finally in ADSK

Sold some TROW, ALB, BEN, ORI, PXD, SPG and (These names have all doubled or tripled since I bought last year) .Kept some shares just to follow them.

For those that say they cant find buys in this market. Your just not looking hard enough Wink I have others that are nearing 52 weeks lows I will be pulling the trigger soon as well. Stocks I never thought would give me an opportunity like they are now.

Sold out of my Sept $100 Puts in AVAV and my $146 puts in QCOM

I feel like like I was at the roulette table today lol

I like the moves. I recently sold TROW and Ben as well. I had got in BEN under $20 and TROW at $91 or so. Both had very good runs.

SPG I still have but the malls are dying industry. At least that's my fear. In my area half the malls space is out and they cant fill that space. At some point that will come back to bite them.

I did a few buys today myself. MED, ABBV, HRL, BMY and EML

Does anyone live in Arizona? Dutch Bros went public today. Any thoughts on this name? I have tried there cold brew many times while there on business

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - fenders53 - 09-16-2021

(09-15-2021, 12:10 PM)fenders53 Wrote: Entered orders to sell all my equity mutuals at the close.  SPY, Midcap and Russell 2K.  This makes me nervous but the plan is to get them into ETFs tomorrow. I hate that I can't add to my mutuals on hard down days so that is the motivation to make the move.  Fees are basically the same.
Caught a break and sold on a decent up day.  Sold near the money puts in SPY and IWM today.  Not sure if I should jump into the ETFs all at once or average in.  It's a coin flip so I sold the puts expiring tomorrow while I contemplate it since it is a lot of money.  I'll grab some "free" shares of XEL today with the premiums.  I get to keep those if the market launches higher and leaves me behind.

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - Dividends from Scratch - 09-16-2021

trimmed some STAG profits. initiated STOR. increased forward dividend income, overall portfolio dividend safety score and overal portfolio dividend growth CAGR.