Dividend Growth Forum
What I Am Buying Today. - Printable Version

+- Dividend Growth Forum (http://DividendGrowthForum.com)
+-- Forum: Dividend Growth Investing (http://DividendGrowthForum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=15)
+--- Forum: Dividend Growth Investing (http://DividendGrowthForum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Thread: What I Am Buying Today. (/showthread.php?tid=2014)

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - fenders53 - 12-03-2021

(12-03-2021, 07:16 AM)divmenow Wrote:
(12-03-2021, 05:20 AM)fenders53 Wrote: Still a good business.  Same with high end exercise bikes, web doctor consulting and Zoom meetings.  The market priced the stocks like they were in hyper growth for 5+ years with no competition.  If you got in late or too greedy to trim you lose eventually.  Momentum is cruel if you buy and hold like valuation no longer matters.

Did you just put high end bicycles in that conversation lol. PTON is nothing more then an average work out bike with monitor on top. That my friend you can just ride your $100 stationary bike and watch YouTube  Wink
Yup and they sold subscriptions as well along with other gear.  At some reasonable price the stock had a niche. Just an example of how bad Momo can wreck you.  I don't how you could think that Covid growth rate was going to last.  Anyway none of those high flyers have much of a moat and they were bad holds after they moonshot.

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - divmenow - 12-03-2021

(12-02-2021, 02:39 PM)kblake Wrote: BABA about to get delisted. Get out while you still can. I just sold for a pretty big loss. I will park the money else where between QQQ and SMH

Today added QQQ, SMH, RTX, EOG, and DG

Good call. It's down another $10 this morning. WOW!! 

Who's the one on here that bought a ton of BABA and TCEHY.

You still holding? Just curious

(12-03-2021, 09:42 AM)divmenow Wrote:
(12-02-2021, 02:39 PM)kblake Wrote: BABA about to get delisted. Get out while you still can. I just sold for a pretty big loss. I will park the money else where between QQQ and SMH

Today added QQQ, SMH, RTX, EOG, and DG

Good call. It's down another $10 this morning. WOW!! 

Who's the one on here that bought a ton of BABA and TCEHY.

You still holding? Just curious
The DIDI delist hurt.  That went from probably to let's do it immediately in like a week or so.  VBIN bought BABA and Tencent every day after he finished shaving for awhile.  Smile  He was just nibbling though.  A lot of us owned BABA but some of us bailed.  It's a small miracle I didn't lose money because I am usually pretty patient.  I think Ray threw in the towel a few weeks ago.

Wow market is brutal and irrational. I went on a buying spree just now. Too many names to list. Will list later. But bought a lot of tech that I never thought would get to these levels. Have to buy when others are fearful ?

A lot are the names Kathie Wood is selling to buy the ones she’s taking a bath in lol

Nibbled a little QQQ-SPY-IWM-FB and sold a VSTO strike 35 put. I'd love to buy some individual small caps now but there is just no floor. I'll rotate into a couple from a boring stock after the blood bath is over. I've never seen so many stocks crushed and it's not at all obvious just looking at most major indexes.

Only thing that is going to save Kathie is a strong bull run. Fund liquidations are going to force her to sell low. Fund is just too large.

(12-03-2021, 12:23 PM)fenders53 Wrote: Nibbled a little QQQ-SPY-IWM-FB and sold a VSTO strike 35 put.  I'd love to buy some individual small caps now but there is just no floor.  I'll rotate into a couple from a boring stock after the blood bath is over.  I've never seen so many stocks crushed and it's not at all obvious just looking at most major indexes.

Only thing that is going to save Kathie is a strong bull run.  Fund liquidations are going to force her to sell low.  Fund is just too large.

I’m heading Kathie Wood is auctioning off a lunch dinner date like Warren Buffet. I wonder how much she can fetch lol. $25 ??? ?

I bought some FB as well. QQQ I have under $60 so not adding to that one.

(12-03-2021, 12:28 PM)divmenow Wrote:
(12-03-2021, 12:23 PM)fenders53 Wrote: Nibbled a little QQQ-SPY-IWM-FB and sold a VSTO strike 35 put.  I'd love to buy some individual small caps now but there is just no floor.  I'll rotate into a couple from a boring stock after the blood bath is over.  I've never seen so many stocks crushed and it's not at all obvious just looking at most major indexes.

Only thing that is going to save Kathie is a strong bull run.  Fund liquidations are going to force her to sell low.  Fund is just too large.

I’m heading Kathie Wood is auctioning off a lunch dinner date like Warren Buffet. I wonder how much she can fetch lol. $25 ??? ?

I bought some FB as well. QQQ I have under $60 so not adding to that one.
I've owned some funds since the DOW was 1000 but I still buy dips occasionally.  Big Grin 

I wouldn't call QQQ cheap right now but most all the tech stocks we are looking at really aren't either.  Exceptions are few.

I only buy funds or ETF’s if they dip really hard. My average price is low so I don’t want to mess with that lol. QQQ is one of my favs and doesn’t dip as hard as I would hope to add more. I just reinvest the dividends and add to it that way.

I will add to FB, GOOG, MSFT ext because those names will always come back as they are still cheap companies to most. I admit I was a little early on some tech names but went in light and just buy a few on $20-$30 dips like ADBE, GPN and a few others. The rest of I don’t even bother with no matter how much they drop lol . I could buy 5 shares of DOCU and live with losing it all or ride it back up $100 Wink

Just think tech is now at levels not seen in 6-12 months. So choose wisely

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - kered - 12-03-2021

What percentage do you guys typically keep in cash? My main issue is i dont keep enough. Every time i build up my cash reserves a dip happens and i spend it.

(12-03-2021, 01:25 PM)divmenow Wrote: ................. So choose wisely
I know you keep your head, and sometimes I do whizz in the bull punch bowl a little too much.  Big Grin  Nobody knows if the market will launch higher next week, or get beat up for weeks or months.  I am betting on weeks.  I may be dead wrong.  If FANG capitulates we got a problem but I doubt it happens.  If you just gotta buy now, then flight to quality almost always works when others are scared.  Tempted by that SPEC stock that has now earnings and big debt, but it is down 50%?  Yes it can still go much lower and you won't likely time the bottom.  Humor yourself and buy a couple hundred bucks now if you like.  Put the rest in quality.  If I ran out of cash I'd have no problem selling some JNJ or XOM 5% down to buy a solid tech stock that gets hit 25% a few weeks from now if this continues.

I have too much cash now because I am getting ready to retire.  I might buy a few shares a day of expensive tickers but I am going slow.  I don't care if I time the bottom because I will get caught sucking my thumb miss if I try. I jumped into the Covid dip too fast so slower this time.  Another thing that keeps me calm is I don't own trash I am afraid to buy more of if it truly crashes.  Well maybe 3% of my port is in scary stuff.   My SOFI put sells are starting to smell but I did wait for the big beating to slow down.  Big Grin  

If you are completely invested already, great, just go golfing or ice fishing.  You don't have to stare at the market to be a successful investor.  This thread is for those of us who enjoy trying to outsmart the market with some of our money.  We'll win some and well lose some.

(12-03-2021, 02:09 PM)kered Wrote: What percentage do you guys typically keep in cash? My main issue is i dont keep enough. Every time i build up my cash reserves a dip happens and i spend it.
Right or wrong here is what I did and your mileage may vary.  

Age 25 every dime I could scrape up invested.

Age 40 the tech bubble crash tore my face off and I was sick that I couldn't buy enough, but I had a good job and my 401K contributions helped the early 2000s suck less.  I vowed I would never be cashless again.  About 5% in Short term Gov securities and 5% in bonds.  That allowed me to throw a few bucks n the market on a 10% dip.  When the market recovered the money went back to safe.  Some might call that market timing.  I call it improving my mental health.  I hate it when I can't buy a sale.  It truly distracts me from the majority of my port getting pounded.

Age 45 the Financial crisis was coming and I smelled trouble.  The one and only time I tried to market time in a big way.  Moved half my money to ST GOV bonds.  When the world melted down I started averaging back into the market  Worked out well.  I got lucky,

Age 55 and retirement is approaching.  Bonds suck now so about 15%-30% cash.  I use cash to secure the puts I sell for income so my cash balance can swing wildly if the market isn't right to sell puts.    

Age 59 and I plan to retire soon.  I am willing to go 90% in the market but only if it gets absolutely hammered.

After all that typing, I think 10% cash is appropriate most of the time.  I can't prove it's the correct answer, but buying stuff 25%+ off seems like a good idea to me.

What I Am Buying Today. - bankerboy - 12-03-2021

I find this thread interesting given the buying and selling habits many here do on a daily basis. I try to sit on 7-8% cash and buy the big dips, like greater than 10% usually before I part with cash.

For some reason I struggle to part with my cash when the market is bouncing like it has this week, I call it patience but it feels a bit more like fear….

The wife and I max the 401ks out in mainly index funds and been doing that for 30 plus years but I don’t even give that a thought however…

Biden is starting to remind me of Carter, seems to be doing everything possible to kill the economy. Think I will hold onto my cash a bit longer. It’s only losing value at the rate of inflation …….and we haven’t had a decent correction in a long time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk