Dividend Growth Forum
What I Am Buying Today. - Printable Version

+- Dividend Growth Forum (http://DividendGrowthForum.com)
+-- Forum: Dividend Growth Investing (http://DividendGrowthForum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=15)
+--- Forum: Dividend Growth Investing (http://DividendGrowthForum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Thread: What I Am Buying Today. (/showthread.php?tid=2014)

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - fenders53 - 11-15-2021

(11-15-2021, 06:09 PM)ken-do-nim Wrote:
(11-15-2021, 04:10 PM)stockguru Wrote:
(11-15-2021, 03:42 PM)ken-do-nim Wrote: We use OKTA at work.

Do you own MARA? Just curious. I know you like that industry  Big Grin

Have you bought more RIO yet?

MARA - nope, and I don't care if it's taken off like a rocket.  If I were to buy it again, it would go down sooner or later, and I wouldn't end up making money on it.  Like Fenders said, I need to stay away from equities I don't have conviction in.

RIO - up to 30 shares.  Still 70 more to go to reach where I was.  I'm looking forward to finishing it off.

NAIL - wow it's back over 100 last I checked.  I still don't think this is a triple that over time goes up like SOXL, TECL, and TQQQ do.  If I had any now I would surely sell, then wait for it to go back to 60 and start the wheel all over again. 

LABU - my vote for worst triple.  

ORC - keeps slowly sinking.  That 15-16% yield tempts me no longer.

VZ, T - I got out of these, even with the small amounts I had in them

OHI, AGNC - more yield traps I won't return to

NLY - I have about $100 in it as a "watch".  

TTD, NVDA, TSLA, ISRG, ADBE, GOOGL, FB, UPST - I like these tickers but I got out of individual stocks in my ROTH.  I'm sure they will come back next year or the year after in the taxable.

MRNA - if it's going back up I don't want to know.  All my other mistakes this year were papercuts compared to this body blow.  Still, in the long run I believe in their technology and I will eventually bring it back if it is at a sane price.  Ideally when they have some other drugs in phase 3 trials.

Despite all of my missteps this year, the taxable is up 43.3% year to date and the ROTH 66.11%.  That said, the ROTH hasn't moved since August.
You've had an exciting year for sure.  I had one of my best years in a long time and I am well short of 40% overall port return.  I just did it with 1/3rd the risk.  I was more concerned what happens to you in a truly tough market because 3/4ths of your port would be on fire in a bad way at some point.  It can even dangerous in an up market.  Everybody here knows it and that's why you get so much grief.   

I can type lessons learned the hard way for hours but yes, you have to have conviction in high multiple stocks if you aren't planning to flip them in a week or two.  It's overwhelming when a bunch of them are blowing up in a bad way.  It's OK to take a shot on a couple if you can stomach it.  

You know what went wrong with MRNA.  It may be a major player for 50 years but short of a new miracle drug soon or a MOMO run it's going to be a very long time before it sees anything near your entry price again.  And add slow to the cyclical commodities if you really have to own them.  You weren't early and it's too late to FOMO in if you aren't going to sell them a short time later before they crash.  Steel, copper etc. could stay high for years, but the right entry was a year ago and you'll get burned if you stay a few months too long.  I've been bitten many times by materials stocks.  Nobody wants to wait 5 years to get back to even.

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - fenders53 - 11-16-2021

If HD dares spike even a few dollars at the open I am shorting it with an option spread. I'll have to get in before the conference call. I have nothing speculative on the table now so we'll see how it goes. HD is fine long term but the beat is pure inflation and staff cost cutting. It will have to run hard the next few days to hurt me much and I don't see that happening. I don't gamble often but it is fun if I cap the max risk.

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - stockguru - 11-16-2021

(11-16-2021, 08:09 AM)fenders53 Wrote: If HD dares spike even a few dollars at the open I am shorting it with an option spread.  I'll have to get in before the conference call.  I have nothing speculative on the table now so we'll see how it goes.  HD is fine long term but the beat is pure inflation and staff cost cutting.  It will have to run hard the next few days to hurt me much and I don't see that happening.  I don't gamble often but it is fun if I cap the max risk.

How's the short working for you  Big Grin HD up $16 lol

Need it to stay below 389.50 for the spread to work at all. I will bail on a dip if I get one by Thursday. I'd like 385 a lot better. Smile

On the bright side earnings made my DOW index put sell an instant 80% win so I better stop being greedy and close it now.

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - ken-do-nim - 11-16-2021

Home Depot has definitely been a star for me this year; pity I only funded it with 11 shares.

Conversely, I see Capital One Financial once again at the bottom of the heap today ...

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - divmenow - 11-16-2021

Took a new position in BURL. Call it women's intuition lol

My wife loved the stores and its always crowded. Stock has come down where it could go up 50 points after earnings.

I'm sure I'm the only one who owns this name Wink

Also added NOC, ATVI and new position in HII

Bought some calls in TGT for fun play on earnings.

Closed out my $22 Puts in CCL for a 203% gain

There's a million Puts I would buy right now but not going to play that game until we get closer to Dec in case the market keeps running lol

(11-09-2021, 03:42 PM)Mr1share Wrote:
(11-09-2021, 02:47 PM)fenders53 Wrote: Sold a FB and ABNB put.  If I get the shares we'll all probably be sad.  Strikes considerably out of the money.

Of all the stocks out there to choose from you pick FB and ABNB  Big Grin

You have a better chance winning $10 on a scratch off lol

ABNB will reach $500 one day. They are a great recovery play. Good news yesterday on the sector. Headed much higher
Well those worked out very well.  Closed ABNB a day or two ago.  FB strike is about $30 in the money for me as a put seller.  I'd close it now but letting it bleed out a little longer is probably better. I did buy FB shares close to the bottom as well but not enough of course.

(11-16-2021, 10:37 AM)ken-do-nim Wrote: Home Depot has definitely been a star for me this year; pity I only funded it with 11 shares.

Conversely, I see Capital One Financial once again at the bottom of the heap today ...
Don't chase it.  Just trust me.  You'll get a chance but they are doing magic tricks to keep hitting earnings.  If that sounds like I am bashing HD it's not my intent.  They are logistics magicians and they are pinching pennies.  You'll get a hard dip in the next year if not sooner.  Wait for it and add shares then.  All the good news is priced in months ago, like most blue chips.  LOW is probably the better buy in the sector right now IMO.

(11-16-2021, 10:40 AM)divmenow Wrote: Took a new position in BURL. Call it women's intuition lol

My wife loved the stores and its always crowded. Stock has come down where it could go up 50 points after earnings.

I'm sure I'm the only one who owns this name Wink

Also added NOC, ATVI and new position in HII

Bought some calls in TGT for fun play on earnings.

Closed out my $22 Puts in CCL for a 203% gain

There's a million Puts I would buy right now but not going to play that game until we get closer to Dec in case the market keeps running lol
Yup, I could be out of cash in an hour.  I keep some open but dry powder always.  Selling most any put right now has more risk than we should take.

What I Am Buying Today. - vbin - 11-16-2021

Sold a GPN put

(11-16-2021, 12:29 PM)vbin Wrote: Sold a GPN put

That's a Chuck pick.  Looks way undervalued vs more famous competitors.  Trying to follow you in on this one.  I need some income this week so probably going to sell an ENPH and GNRC put that expire this week.  Way out of the money so I can roll them if necessary.  No interest in more shares up here but I could live with it longer term.

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - divmenow - 11-16-2021

Bought some $160 DIS calls for Jan. We will see how that plays out.