Dividend Growth Forum
What I Am Buying Today. - Printable Version

+- Dividend Growth Forum (http://DividendGrowthForum.com)
+-- Forum: Dividend Growth Investing (http://DividendGrowthForum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=15)
+--- Forum: Dividend Growth Investing (http://DividendGrowthForum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Thread: What I Am Buying Today. (/showthread.php?tid=2014)

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - MrFortune - 11-03-2021

(11-03-2021, 11:47 AM)rayray Wrote: Adds

pypl/roku/upst

New buy

atvi

Should have waited on ROKU until after the earnings report. I just bought after hours at $276.90

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - divmenow - 11-03-2021

(11-03-2021, 03:13 PM)MrFortune Wrote:

pypl/roku/upst

New buy

atvi

Should have waited on ROKU until after the earnings report. I just bought after hours at $276.90

Ha I just did the same. In at $275.84. This is why you don't buy the day before earnings. They are knocking just about every stock after they report no matter if they beat or not  Big Grin

Just have to be patient and play the game! lol 

New buys in ATVI and ROKU now

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - fenders53 - 11-03-2021

(11-03-2021, 03:19 PM)divmenow Wrote:

pypl/roku/upst

New buy

atvi

Ha I just did the same. In at $275.84. This is why you don't buy the day before earnings. They are knocking just about every stock after they report no matter if they beat or not  Big Grin

Rich Ray doesn't care.  He just buys shares everyday and never sells Smile  That works too.

You aren't supposed to play options during earnings either but folks always do.  I am there to sell them way out of the money options.  I am sure they are surprised to see they guessed right, the stock went 10+ points in their direction and they still lost money overnight.  IV crush is harsh.

You guys are correct though, buying a good stock into earnings hasn't paid off for many quarters.  At best they pop a few percent but a dip is much more likely.  If they disappoint they dip hard instantly and usually bleed for days after that. I'll have to go check out ROKU. If they missed it's not too late to get in.

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - ken-do-nim - 11-03-2021

(11-03-2021, 03:52 PM)fenders53 Wrote:

pypl/roku/upst

New buy

atvi

Rich Ray doesn't care.  He just buys shares everyday and never sells Smile  That works too.

I realize I'm weighted down by child support payments, but I'd love to know how you guys manage to buy stocks daily without regular sales.  I mean, I occasionally make some pooled dividend purchases, but that's like twice a month tops.

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - EricL - 11-03-2021

(11-03-2021, 04:13 PM)ken-do-nim Wrote:

pypl/roku/upst

New buy

atvi

I realize I'm weighted down by child support payments, but I'd love to know how you guys manage to buy stocks daily without regular sales.  I mean, I occasionally make some pooled dividend purchases, but that's like twice a month tops.

Me too, Ken...

pypl/roku/upst

New buy

atvi

Married to the same woman for 35 years.  I tell her I could never leave her because there is no way I can find another that biitches at me the way I like it.   Big Grin

Raising kids is still expensive but it's probably a little less expensive if you don't divorce.

(11-03-2021, 04:29 PM)EricL Wrote:
(11-03-2021, 03:13 PM)MrFortune Wrote: Should have waited on ROKU until after the earnings report. I just bought after hours at $276.90

Me too, Ken...
Has it occurred to you guys that some of us sell stuff more often than we should?  My option game generates weekly income so that's my excuse. Most of us post our sales, as we should for some transparency.

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - divmenow - 11-03-2021

pypl/roku/upst

New buy

atvi

For me I have 3 accounts. 

My long term account which I never touch unless a story changes - I don't reinvest my dividends. I keep the cash so I can buy or add to holdings 
My ROTH IRA which I can trade in and out of - I never go under 50k so I can buy and sell 
Then I have my trading account which I use to buy and sell daily.  Normally around 1.000-1.500 trades a year lol. And in this account I always keep 30-35% in cash and never go under 25%

When you fully invested your stuck. Gotta keep cash on hand
And I also own 3 rental properties which most of that goes into my trading account monthly 

So that's my story. What's yours lol

(11-03-2021, 05:22 PM)divmenow Wrote:
(11-03-2021, 03:13 PM)MrFortune Wrote: Should have waited on ROKU until after the earnings report. I just bought after hours at $276.90

For me I have 3 accounts. 

My long term account which I never touch unless a story changes - I don't reinvest my dividends. I keep the cash so I can buy or add to holdings 
My ROTH IRA which I can trade in and out of - I never go under 50k so I can buy and sell 
Then I have my trading account which I use to buy and sell daily.  Normally around 1.000-1.500 trades a year lol. And in this account I always keep 30-35% in cash and never go under 25%

When you fully invested your stuck. Gotta keep cash on hand
And I also own 3 rental properties which most of that goes into my trading account monthly 

So that's my story. What's yours lol
You and I don't invest exactly the same but the theme is similar.  Our money is segmented for different purposes.  

About 1/3rd of my money sits in investments I don't care if I ever sell.  My core utility positions, Index ETFs  and some blue chips that won't be sold unless the long-term story changes.       

The next third is a mix of quality stocks I think I bought for a fair price.  If they do a moonshot I may trim or at least sell a covered call.  I get a lot of income from this part of my port. 

The last third is cash or conservative option income plays.  I get a ridiculous amount of income from this tranche most months.  When I add five or ten shares of this or that on the forum, that is usually where the money came from.

I will never be cashless wishing I could by a dip.  I tried that and I didn't like it.  You can post charts all day long telling me to stay 100% invested for best results. At the moment that is FOMO talking.  You are scared not to buy the next rising star of the week.   You may be right for a quarter but mostly I just get a chuckle.  In an overpriced volatile market you don't have to wait long for an opportunity when a good company gives up a half years progress in a few weeks.  

Having some cash makes this so much less stressful.  If the market rocks I am making money.  If it dips hard I am buying bargains on a moments notice.  The key is I don't worry if somebody else makes more money than me next week.

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - rayray - 11-03-2021

(11-03-2021, 04:29 PM)EricL Wrote:

Me too, Ken...

well--it's kind of true what fenders said--i don't sell much--once in a great while i do--but not a lot--i buy and hold tight

between dividends and extra cash i'm buying about 50k of new stock per year--so i'm buying weekly no matter what

i forget when but a few of months ago i reallocated to cash (in late august early september), about 200k

about 150k has been redistributed back into equities during and after one of my worst months when portfolio went down 94k, i'm now up 158k

i let it ride for so long, get to a certain point and i'll take some off the top maybe allocate 100k to cash then i'll redistribute back in--idk maybe it's hard for me to sell--but i'll admit the more i have the less i feel obligated to keep fully invested--i'll take some off the top and buy other equities--the portfolio fluctuates between 5 to 20k per day (up or down) so it's not hard to take 10k off the top and redistribute the next day

work gets in the way--burn out gets in the way--life get in the way in order to invest like a pro

the pandemic has been good to me financially--portfolio wise, can't fib about that one

good to know--i'll buy more roku!

The pandemic was kind to most of us if you had the ability to buy the dip.  My port has grown off the bottom to match  at least my first 15 years of investing.

I hope the debate never stops as the skill sets are diverse and valuable to my learning.  I suspect Divmenow is the best swing trader here.  Does he have the best overall port performance? No clue and it doesn't matter.  I know what he excels at and I pay attention.

I can make $500 income appear in a week when the market is getting crushed, or $3k if I assess the risk as appropriate. Meanwhile 2/3rds of my port is boring earning dividends.  Not many here know how to do that consistently. $1000 a week not including dividends is a helluva lot of income to buy shares with. I can miss the timing pretty bad on dividend stock purchases and it still looks pretty good on the bottom line.

There are a lot of ways to win and I am not overly concerned who won the quarter.

Continue on with the debate.  I truly enjoy it.

What I Am Buying Today. - MrPosadas - 11-04-2021

Was already holding some ATVI and picked up more after yesterday’s drop. And, have been nibbling at WU here and there. Sold a very small portion of my ABNB holdings. Need to keep trimming to build the cash reserves back up.