Dividend Growth Forum
What I Am Buying Today. - Printable Version

+- Dividend Growth Forum (http://DividendGrowthForum.com)
+-- Forum: Dividend Growth Investing (http://DividendGrowthForum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=15)
+--- Forum: Dividend Growth Investing (http://DividendGrowthForum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Thread: What I Am Buying Today. (/showthread.php?tid=2014)

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - divmenow - 10-28-2021

(10-28-2021, 09:38 AM)rayray Wrote:
(10-28-2021, 09:18 AM)divmenow Wrote:
(10-28-2021, 09:11 AM)rayray Wrote: yesterday as in not today i added

amzn/dis/lmnd/ma/mo/mttr/mu/pm/pypl/rblx/sam/se/sq/t/tdoc/upst/amat/pins

Add MO today its down $2.50. Should have waited to today  Big Grin

i did add mo today too

eh...i have mixed feelings about certain stocks and mo is one of them, along with vz/t some others can't think about but i keep accumulating--idk--we'll see how it goes

i tend to be a doomer-gloomer when it comes to investing

last month portfolio dipped 96k and change

this month it went up 96k and change

i made zero progress

Yeah T and VZ have no growth. I get it. they pay a hefty dividend. But what's the point of holding them when you basically lose the dividend when the stock just keeps going down. There are better plays out there you can come close to matching those dividends and get growth at the same time. Even Bonds are better holding over T and VZ  Big Grin

Hey at least your back to even. And I would take that any day rather then losing 96k  Big Grin

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - fenders53 - 10-28-2021

(10-28-2021, 09:53 AM)divmenow Wrote:

i did add mo today too

eh...i have mixed feelings about certain stocks and mo is one of them, along with vz/t some others can't think about but i keep accumulating--idk--we'll see how it goes

i made zero progress

Yeah T and VZ have no growth. I get it. they pay a hefty dividend. But what's the point of holding them when you basically lose the dividend when the stock just keeps going down. There are better plays out there you can come close to matching those dividends and get growth at the same time. Even Bonds are better holding over T and VZ  Big Grin

Hey at least your back to even. And I would take that any day rather then losing 96k  Big Grin
MO is no different.  We get lucky and swing trade it but that doesn't change reality.

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - kered - 10-28-2021

F finally reinstated its dividend and my $4.88 and $5 shares are feeling real good right now. Too bad I'm just a small fry and and its not a ton of money but gotta start somewhere though. My yearly dividend amount is now up to $600.

i did add mo today too

i made zero progress
It's not about a month Ray.  You are a true investor while some of us here play with a decent size chunk of our port.  There will be times when we wish it was all just sitting in an index fund that goes up slowly everyday for months.  

Although I know longer choose to, I think it is OK for you to hold some stocks like VZ and T.  Just don't get sucked into the yield and start believing they are too cheap to pass up because they aren't.  Most of your port will outperform them over an extended time period.  IMO owning too much of these stocks will doom your port to way underperform SPY.  There is no point in buying individual stocks with a plan like that.  DRIP means nothing if you DRIP junk for years.

(10-28-2021, 10:03 AM)kered Wrote: F finally reinstated its dividend and my $4.88 and $5  shares are feeling real good right now. Too bad I'm just a small fry and and its not a ton of money but gotta start somewhere though. My yearly dividend amount is now up to $600.
I was shocked they re-instated it now.  EV buildout is going to cost big bucks and there is no more putting that expense off for F.

And congrats on your buy points. It took some courage to buy when they were bleeding cash so bad.

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - Dario33 - 10-28-2021

Added a few more V on today's continued slide.

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - ken-do-nim - 10-28-2021

(10-28-2021, 10:03 AM)kered Wrote: F finally reinstated its dividend and my $4.88 and $5  shares are feeling real good right now. Too bad I'm just a small fry and and its not a ton of money but gotta start somewhere though. My yearly dividend amount is now up to $600.

Wow that's interesting news.  And congrats on getting up to $50/month in dividends.

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - rayray - 10-28-2021

(10-28-2021, 09:55 AM)fenders53 Wrote:

i did add mo today too

i made zero progress

MO is no different.  We get lucky and swing trade it but that doesn't change reality.

i have a wide mix of investments and some stay stagnant for a long time, but as a buy and hold investor these stagnant companies seem to be the ones that hold the place up when sh@t hits the fan--and that's why i hold them.

and for the 96k loss and then the 96k gain--since i didn't sell/buy anything there was no real loss or gain, just paper movements or digital numerical ups and downs at this point

(10-28-2021, 11:08 AM)rayray Wrote:
(10-28-2021, 09:55 AM)fenders53 Wrote:
(10-28-2021, 09:18 AM)divmenow Wrote: Add MO today its down $2.50. Should have waited to today  Big Grin

i did add mo today too

i made zero progress

i have a wide mix of investments and some stay stagnant for a long time, but as a buy and hold investor these stagnant companies seem to be the ones that hold the place up when sh@t hits the fan--and that's why i hold them.

and for the 96k loss and then the 96k gain--since i didn't sell/buy anything there was no real loss or gain, just paper movements or digital numerical ups and downs at this point
Same.  I don't worry about JNJ and solid UTEs when it hits the fan.  A little off topic but my biggest problem now is valuation.  An Aristocrat entered a recession with a 25 PE might not act the way it did in 2008.  For the most part I think it is beyond delusional to believe an overvalued DGI stock or a troubled yield trap stock is anything remotely like safe.  We can debate this all week long on another thread.  Smile

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - rayray - 10-28-2021

(10-28-2021, 10:08 AM)fenders53 Wrote:

i did add mo today too

i made zero progress
It's not about a month Ray.  You are a true investor while some of us here play with a decent size chunk of our port.  There will be times when we wish it was all just sitting in an index fund that goes up slowly everyday for months.  

Although I know longer choose to, I think it is OK for you to hold some stocks like VZ and T.  Just don't get sucked into the yield and start believing they are too cheap to pass up because they aren't.  Most of your port will outperform them over an extended time period.  IMO owning too much of these stocks will doom your port to way underperform SPY.  There is no point in buying individual stocks with a plan like that.  DRIP means nothing if you DRIP junk for years.

that is true fenders

I hate to even admit this here but I try to be transparent rather than just brag about my wins. I just sold the last half of my LMT. I try not to sell unless the fundamentals have changed. When every major defense stock is predicting loss of revenue growth for a few years, the story has changed. There is about zero chance the defense budget is increased for years. I said a few months ago I believe RTX is more appealing because they aren't 100% dependent on the government. I am pretty sure pure defense stocks are dead money and I can re-enter later if I choose to. Sold some of my shares at a loss. Probably down 5% overall. Hope it runs to the moon for you guys. LMT isn't going out of business and I bet they are way higher five years from now.

One more ticker off my pre-retirement list. Trying to stop picking the flowers and watering the weeds.

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - stockguru - 10-28-2021

(10-28-2021, 11:51 AM)fenders53 Wrote: I hate to even admit this here but I try to be transparent rather than just brag about my wins.  I just sold the last half of my LMT.  I try not to sell unless the fundamentals have changed.   When every major defense stock is predicting loss of revenue growth for a few years, the story has changed.  There is about zero chance the defense budget is increased for years.  I said a few months ago I believe RTX is more appealing because they aren't 100% dependent on the government.  I am pretty sure pure defense stocks are dead money and I can re-enter later if I choose to.   Sold some of my shares at a loss.  Probably down 5% overall.  Hope it runs to the moon for you guys. LMT isn't going out of business and I bet they are way higher five years from now.

One more ticker off my pre-retirement list.  Trying to stop picking the flowers and watering the weeds.

Sorry to hear you just sold at the bottom on LMT.. Buyback just went into affect and it's now back to $335

You said the same about APD and that stock has rallied 50 points  Big Grin

Maybe your the next Cramer hahaha!!

What else don't you like  Big Grin