Dividend Growth Forum
What I Am Buying Today. - Printable Version

+- Dividend Growth Forum (http://DividendGrowthForum.com)
+-- Forum: Dividend Growth Investing (http://DividendGrowthForum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=15)
+--- Forum: Dividend Growth Investing (http://DividendGrowthForum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Thread: What I Am Buying Today. (/showthread.php?tid=2014)

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - fenders53 - 10-26-2021

(10-26-2021, 03:28 PM)stockguru Wrote: So Yesterday's headline was "Kathie Wood" buys big into HOOD day before earnings"

Haha how did that work out for you? She's getting worse them Cramer now Wink  Horrible report after the bell
Not even in the same world at the moment.  I find some of Cramer's content useful after I apply some common sense and DD to it.  She has become purposefully contrarian and I fail to see her motive.  I get it she is forced to sell liquid stocks when her fund holders head for the exit.  Sometimes forced to sell low.  Her buys are just nutty.  OK enough SPEC stocks, and it seems like she usually adds to them only when they are expensive.  Pumps them publicly at the worst possible moment.  Next bear market she won't have a fund to manage.  I've never seen a fund manager act so reckless out in the open.

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - fenders53 - 10-26-2021

(10-26-2021, 12:11 PM)Mr1share Wrote:
(10-26-2021, 12:02 PM)Kerim Wrote: Very tempted to open a position in FB at these levels. And I've never had a problem with sin / evil stocks. I own lots of tobacco, oil, fast food, defense, alcohol, etc. And some big tech (AMZN and GOOG) too. But FB is testing me -- it is the first time I can remember balking at profiting from what a company is doing. If it goes much lower, I'm sure I'll be able to get over it...

To me anything under $315 is a steal on FB. It's one of the cheapest tech stocks out there right now.

We all talk about if only we could get a dip in tech stocks. Well you got one now  Big Grin
I agree.  FB is reasonably priced.  I was hoping for a few more to get hit hard but the NAS will get a beating if that happens.  I just want stocks to drop that I want to buy.  Smile

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - crimsonghost747 - 10-26-2021

(10-26-2021, 05:25 PM)fenders53 Wrote:
(10-26-2021, 03:28 PM)stockguru Wrote: So Yesterday's headline was "Kathie Wood" buys big into HOOD day before earnings"

Haha how did that work out for you? She's getting worse them Cramer now Wink  Horrible report after the bell
Not even in the same world at the moment.  I find some of Cramer's content useful after I apply some common sense and DD to it.  She has become purposefully contrarian and I fail to see her motive.  I get it she is forced to sell liquid stocks when her fund holders head for the exit.  Sometimes forced to sell low.  Her buys are just nutty.  OK enough SPEC stocks, and it seems like she usually adds to them only when they are expensive.  Pumps them publicly at the worst possible moment.  Next bear market she won't have a fund to manage.  I've never seen a fund manager act so reckless out in the open.

I agree that it does look quite careless to the public, I'm not sure if that is more about what she does or about what the media wants it to look like she is doing. This HOOD thing is a great example. It makes the headlines that she "buys in big" right before earnings, and then the earnings are bad. Now I don't know what "big" is to these people, but I don't think this "buys in big" was more than 0.3% of the capital of ARKK. I do not know how much HOOD they had before (they did have some), but as of yesterday HOOD was 1.02% of the fund.

It makes big headlines because people will click on those headlines. And in dollar amounts it is a big bet, but is there anyone here who can claim that they haven't made more-risky-than-average move with 0.3% of their portfolio? And actually saying "portfolio" is not even a fair comparison, since they have several ETF's. (their fintech ETF also has HOOD, currently at 2% weight) Point is that she didn't actually do anything stupid or reckless, just increased the weight of a company a tiny bit. 

I actually participated in a webinar that she was a guest in recently and I quite liked what I heard. She is dedicated for sure and really passionate about what they do. But careless or reckless? Not at all. The image I got from participating in this webinar was very, very different from what I get when I read these crazy headlines in the media. From what I gather, she isn't really targeting specific companies, rather she is targeting specific sectors that she believes to be disruptive in the future and then buying up some of the promising companies in order to have a wide exposure to the sector. Not a bad plan to be honest.

Her funds are a bit too risky for my taste but I don't think she has lost her touch. It's just that the expectation lately has been that everything she touches turns to gold in a matter of days, and that is hard to accomplish.

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - fenders53 - 10-27-2021

Many of her trades are forced.  Massive fund inflows in 2020, massive outflows in 2021.  The numbers are at or near record levels?

I actually enjoyed her commentary until lately.  She is not a victim of media hype.  She IS media sensationalism.  I don't stare at CNBC but YouTube is loaded with contrarian statements.  It's a weekly thing now.  No different than the more famous talking heads.  No such thing as bad PR as long as you are in the financial news.  

I don't dislike her and actually think she is smart; but it has become all about the circus lately.  Woods vs Blurry, get your tickets before they sell out.

What I Am Buying Today. - bankerboy - 10-27-2021

(10-26-2021, 12:02 PM)Kerim Wrote: Very tempted to open a position in FB at these levels. And I've never had a problem with sin / evil stocks. I own lots of tobacco, oil, fast food, defense, alcohol, etc. And some big tech (AMZN and GOOG) too. But FB is testing me -- it is the first time I can remember balking at profiting from what a company is doing. If it goes much lower, I'm sure I'll be able to get over it...

Longer term I wonder what impact government will have on these social media giants. Will FB ever get broken up as a monopoly or will their 230 protections go away? Will the Trumpster’s new adventure hurt them? They seem to have many foes and controversies at the moment, I would worry one or more of these will eventually kill their growth as corporations and folks tire of it and abandon them.

I had a large position in Fangs from a BC Growth fund for quite a few years until late 2020 so benefited from these companies, most of which I truly despise. I guess my ESG meter is broken when it comes to profits!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - stockguru - 10-27-2021

added V and COF

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - ken-do-nim - 10-27-2021

(10-27-2021, 09:01 AM)stockguru Wrote: added V and COF

My poor COF!  It swung down to -10% right after I bought it, battled back to positive, and now down to -8% again.

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - Mr1share - 10-27-2021

New position in GRMN. Always wanted to own and now got a $12 discount lol

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - divmenow - 10-27-2021

(10-27-2021, 09:18 AM)Mr1share Wrote: New position in GRMN. Always wanted to own and now got a $12 discount lol

Nice I added some GRMN as well

I'm just sitting here cherry picking when they sell off good stocks for no reason  Big Grin

Waiting for others to scoop up this week if they fall on earnings like CMCSA, AMZN, SBUX, MSTR, MA, CAT and others.

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - poneyboy - 10-27-2021

I have about 12k more to invest. I'm not a follower but one of the reason why I joined this forum was to find new ideas and see what everyone was buying lol

GRMN looked very interesting and I use their GPS on my boat, so know them very well. Just bought 25 shares

Also looked at COF and seems very cheap at these levels. Looks like Wall St knocked it down for no reason so bought some

Also bought V and BMY

Sold APD after the 40 point run for no reason lol

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - Dividends from Scratch - 10-27-2021

Added V TXN

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - Dividendwayfarer - 10-27-2021

Added V & MA