Dividend Growth Forum
What I Am Buying Today. - Printable Version

+- Dividend Growth Forum (http://DividendGrowthForum.com)
+-- Forum: Dividend Growth Investing (http://DividendGrowthForum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=15)
+--- Forum: Dividend Growth Investing (http://DividendGrowthForum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Thread: What I Am Buying Today. (/showthread.php?tid=2014)

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - rayray - 10-17-2021

(10-15-2021, 02:00 PM)fenders53 Wrote: Still reducing the number of tickers in my port before I retire.  Trying to stay with high conviction plays and the rest in index ETFs.  Sold most of my tobacco today while I still had a good profit.  Dumped some of my small positions.  Getting close to where I want to be and my yield traps are all gone now.  I can always add more tickers if that happens in the course of selling puts.  More cash then I have ever had but I am sitting on a nice lead for 2021 and I'll find a home for it soon enough.

congratulations fenders....fine tuning before retiring...getting close!

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - ken-do-nim - 10-18-2021

(10-17-2021, 09:40 PM)rayray Wrote:
(10-15-2021, 02:00 PM)fenders53 Wrote: Still reducing the number of tickers in my port before I retire.  Trying to stay with high conviction plays and the rest in index ETFs.  Sold most of my tobacco today while I still had a good profit.  Dumped some of my small positions.  Getting close to where I want to be and my yield traps are all gone now.  I can always add more tickers if that happens in the course of selling puts.  More cash then I have ever had but I am sitting on a nice lead for 2021 and I'll find a home for it soon enough.

congratulations fenders....fine tuning before retiring...getting close!

Yes it is a great accomplishment!

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - fenders53 - 10-18-2021

Thanks.  Now I just have to get some cash back in the market.  It's obvious earnings will be choppy but probably good overall.  At the very least I need to add to my index ETFs.  I won't be happy if I am sitting on my hands if the year finishes at new highs which would shock nobody.  Sounds kind of like FOMO lol.

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - ken-do-nim - 10-18-2021

(10-18-2021, 07:20 AM)fenders53 Wrote: Thanks.  Now I just have to get some cash back in the market.  It's obvious earnings will be choppy but probably good overall.  At the very least I need to add to my index ETFs.  I won't be happy if I am sitting on my hands if the year finishes at new highs which would shock nobody.  Sounds kind of like FOMO lol.

I was just reading an article last night from September 2020 explaining in detail why the market will crash 40% imminently.  A year later ... nope!  It does feel like since I really started investing last March, there's been articles full of doom & gloom available at any given time.

(10-18-2021, 07:49 AM)ken-do-nim Wrote:
(10-18-2021, 07:20 AM)fenders53 Wrote: Thanks.  Now I just have to get some cash back in the market.  It's obvious earnings will be choppy but probably good overall.  At the very least I need to add to my index ETFs.  I won't be happy if I am sitting on my hands if the year finishes at new highs which would shock nobody.  Sounds kind of like FOMO lol.

I was just reading an article last night from September 2020 explaining in detail why the market will crash 40% imminently.  A year later ... nope!  It does feel like since I really started investing last March, there's been articles full of doom & gloom available at any given time.
Events like the tech bubble or GFC cause that.  It leaves some investor scar tissue until you come up with a new round of investors to help climb the next wall of worry.  I just try to determine if we are in the top or bottom 20% of the valuation band and apply some common sense.  I actually think it is almost always OK to invest in speculative assets.  Your allocation percentage is what makes or breaks you.

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - Dividends from Scratch - 10-18-2021

closed PNW for a -10% loss. Dividend cut is imminent. Stock is toxic at this point. Will offset the loss against gains.

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - crimsonghost747 - 10-18-2021

Added to JNJ. Not a very flashy play, just sticking with the old and reliable.

(10-18-2021, 03:04 PM)crimsonghost747 Wrote: Added to JNJ. Not a very flashy play, just sticking with the old and reliable.
I just can't buy any more pharma unless it gets absolutely destroyed.  Sold a lot of covered calls and puts today.

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - crimsonghost747 - 10-19-2021

(10-18-2021, 06:00 PM)fenders53 Wrote:
(10-18-2021, 03:04 PM)crimsonghost747 Wrote: Added to JNJ. Not a very flashy play, just sticking with the old and reliable.
I just can't buy any more pharma unless it gets absolutely destroyed.  Sold a lot of covered calls and puts today.

Yeah I get that, I know you are pretty heavily in some of those names.
I just really like JNJ. Sure, it's a bit on the expensive side but I think it's pretty much a guaranteed winner over the long-term. And the next couple of years are going to be pretty nice on the earnings side as most countries are busy clearing up the backlog to medical procedures.

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - fenders53 - 10-19-2021

JNJ is like a healthcare  ETF.  It would probably take a big market correction to get it much cheaper.  I have too much BMY right now.

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - ken-do-nim - 10-19-2021

JNJ is the stock that introduced me to DGI and led me to this forum. I only have 7 shares now, but I've learned about so many more great DGI stocks since I joined here. My top 2 DGI holdings are BroadCom and Target. I am eagerly awaiting BroadCom's next dividend increase.

I will be further de-leveraging the ROTH today, as I want to add to Tesla, Upstart, Adobie, Nvidia, and others.

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - fenders53 - 10-19-2021

Some of those companies are spendy now but if you are killing some leverage that's good.

JNJ best growth years are behind them but it should be a safe place to park some of your less speculative money as long as you only add on dips. It's about like a choppy bond these days but it will give you a 10% annual return now and then and the dividend will grow some. I started my position right after the tech crash. Added up the burning remains of all my computer hardware companies.

I think I'm getting another Tech PTSD flashback again. Smile

I am going to have to FOMO a few ETF index shares today. Just enough to make sure I don't end up paying more for QQQ than the mutual fund I liquidated last month.