Dividend Growth Forum
What I Am Buying Today. - Printable Version

+- Dividend Growth Forum (http://DividendGrowthForum.com)
+-- Forum: Dividend Growth Investing (http://DividendGrowthForum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=15)
+--- Forum: Dividend Growth Investing (http://DividendGrowthForum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Thread: What I Am Buying Today. (/showthread.php?tid=2014)

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - kblake - 04-18-2023

Added BAC, JNJ, MTB, EXR and VLO

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - ken-do-nim - 04-18-2023

Okay, I plunged ahead and moved my 401k into the Putnam Stable Value Fund. I'm not trying to ride out the recession, just the debt ceiling crisis in Washington. I appreciate that Speaker McCarthy went to Wall Street yesterday to assure investors the US won't default on its obligations, but the situation looks dire to me. https://finance.yahoo.com/news/government-default-in-june-is-a-significant-risk-two-new-estimates-find-153846615.html

Edit: Actually from the article, it says, "On Monday, House Speaker Kevin McCarthy (R-CA) traveled to the New York Stock Exchange Monday to warn Wall Street of the growing chance lawmakers “will bumble into the first default in our nation’s history.” which is even less reassuring.

No changes, as of now, to my Morgan Stanley / E*Trade accounts.

What I Am Buying Today. - vbin - 04-19-2023

Added oxy.

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - Kerim - 04-19-2023

(04-18-2023, 02:12 PM)ken-do-nim Wrote: Okay, I plunged ahead and moved my 401k into the Putnam Stable Value Fund.  I'm not trying to ride out the recession, just the debt ceiling crisis in Washington.  I appreciate that Speaker McCarthy went to Wall Street yesterday to assure investors the US won't default on its obligations, but the situation looks dire to me.  https://finance.yahoo.com/news/government-default-in-june-is-a-significant-risk-two-new-estimates-find-153846615.html

Edit: Actually from the article, it says, "On Monday, House Speaker Kevin McCarthy (R-CA) traveled to the New York Stock Exchange Monday to warn Wall Street of the growing chance lawmakers “will bumble into the first default in our nation’s history.” which is even less reassuring.

I think my net worth would be noticeably higher today if I hadn't tried such timing moves as you're describing here. I don't fault you, and I've done it myself, so not throwing stones. But predicting the future, even the near future, is pretty hard. And even if your predictions are right, the market may not behave as you'd guess in response to those correct predictions.

Best of luck! (To us all!)

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - kblake - 04-19-2023

CVS getting very interesting at this $74 level. Anyone buying?

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - Mr1share - 04-19-2023

Added CI, UNH and PNC to my 401

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - EricL - 04-19-2023

(04-19-2023, 12:25 PM)kblake Wrote: CVS getting very interesting at this $74 level. Anyone buying?

Considered it, but already have a full position and don't really want to sink any more capital into it.

FYI, today's the last day to buy ahead of tomorrow's ex-div.

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - stockguru - 04-19-2023

Bought $180 puts in TSLA

That’s working well after hours. I can see it headed to $150 range

Bought some banks yesterday. I think this is the sector that will out perform the market for rest of year. This sector got overly punished. SCHW, PNC, MTB, BAC, USB

Banks remind of the oil sector 3 years ago when everyone said avoid.

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - rayray - 04-20-2023

(04-19-2023, 12:00 PM)Kerim Wrote:
(04-18-2023, 02:12 PM)ken-do-nim Wrote: Okay, I plunged ahead and moved my 401k into the Putnam Stable Value Fund.  I'm not trying to ride out the recession, just the debt ceiling crisis in Washington.  I appreciate that Speaker McCarthy went to Wall Street yesterday to assure investors the US won't default on its obligations, but the situation looks dire to me.  https://finance.yahoo.com/news/government-default-in-june-is-a-significant-risk-two-new-estimates-find-153846615.html

I think my net worth would be noticeably higher today if I hadn't tried such timing moves as you're describing here. I don't fault you, and I've done it myself, so not throwing stones. But predicting the future, even the near future, is pretty hard. And even if your predictions are right, the market may not behave as you'd guess in response to those correct predictions.

"Far more money has been lost by investors preparing for corrections, or trying to anticipate corrections, than has been lost in corrections themselves."

Peter Lynch

Peter was pretty damn good

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - ken-do-nim - 04-20-2023

(04-20-2023, 05:29 AM)rayray Wrote:
(04-19-2023, 12:00 PM)Kerim Wrote:

"Far more money has been lost by investors preparing for corrections, or trying to anticipate corrections, than has been lost in corrections themselves."

Peter Lynch

Peter was pretty damn good

I've only done this once before, in 2007 when Lehman Brothers went down.  It was nice to sit out the 2008 January market drop, and I went back in that February, so I'm 1 for 1 so far Smile

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - stockguru - 04-20-2023

Added USB

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - stockguru - 04-20-2023

Wow I had to cash in on my TSLA puts. It will probably head lower to $150 area. But I’m not going to be greedy.

10 analyst downgrades today. Minor support at 150 then straight to 100. Should be an interesting name to follow.