Dividend Growth Forum
What I Am Buying Today. - Printable Version

+- Dividend Growth Forum (http://DividendGrowthForum.com)
+-- Forum: Dividend Growth Investing (http://DividendGrowthForum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=15)
+--- Forum: Dividend Growth Investing (http://DividendGrowthForum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Thread: What I Am Buying Today. (/showthread.php?tid=2014)

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - rayray - 02-06-2023

oh forgot, last friday 2-3-23

added to amzn and vz

received a dividend from vz not long ago, and sometimes i purchase additional shares of the company providing the dividend

the bulk of the investment went into additional shares of amzn, which i've been acquiring for a while--amzn has hit a rough patch it's been hit pretty good--with aws--cloud-edge computing/ai/ar/robotics/e-commerce/logistics--all forms of transportation--air--ground--sea--fulfillment centers/grocery/media entertainment/amazon investments/partnerships/pharmacy and let's not forget a long list of patents in addition to loads of data collected, it's an investment i can't ignore and will continue to add for a long time

amzn is one of my largest holdings--it's #5 in my portfolio

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - fenders53 - 02-06-2023

(02-06-2023, 12:34 AM)rayray Wrote: oh forgot, last friday 2-3-23

added to amzn and vz

received a dividend from vz not long ago, and sometimes i purchase additional shares of the company providing the dividend

the bulk of the investment went into additional shares of amzn, which i've been acquiring for a while--amzn has hit a rough patch it's been hit pretty good--with aws--cloud-edge computing/ai/ar/robotics/e-commerce/logistics--all forms of transportation--air--ground--sea--fulfillment centers/grocery/media entertainment/amazon investments/partnerships/pharmacy and let's not forget a long list of patents in addition to loads of data collected, it's an investment i can't ignore and will continue to add for a long time

amzn is one of my largest holdings--it's #5 in my portfolio
AMZN is a tough one.  I have followed them for decades like everyone else.  This is an example of a company I would buy back if they would initiate a small dividend.  They have so many levers they could pull to generate net income but they incinerate cash on retail infrastructure instead.  Married to a low margin business in a big way.  I am not sure how they pivot away from that.  If/when they have half of WMT modest retail  margins my opinion probably changes.  I don't even know if that is a goal.  For now I like Amazon but little interest in AMZN.

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - crimsonghost747 - 02-06-2023

Bought some Wise (London Stock Exchange)
Why? Simply put: I've been a customer for 5 or so years now, and it is BY FAR the best bank I have ever run into on the whole European continent. Great business model too. (100% online banking, focusing on international payments around the globe). No dividend yet but I think it's coming sometime in the not-too-distant future as the company is already profitable and cash flow positive and has managed to grow revenues/earnings/cash flows steadily.

It's still super expensive, as all growth companies tend to be, but I think long-term this will be a great addition.

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - ChadR - 02-06-2023

Added to VZ.

It's a Dogs of the Dow and it's a very underweight position for me. It's a small add and it was in my IRA which has an income focus rather than a growth focus.

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - ken-do-nim - 02-06-2023

(02-06-2023, 10:54 AM)ChadR Wrote: Added to VZ.

It's a Dogs of the Dow and it's a very underweight position for me.  It's a small add and it was in my IRA which has an income focus rather than a growth focus.

I'd like to build up my VZ position too.  It's cheap historically, with a high yield and strong P/E ratio.

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - fenders53 - 02-06-2023

(02-06-2023, 02:51 PM)ken-do-nim Wrote:

It's a Dogs of the Dow and it's a very underweight position for me.  It's a small add and it was in my IRA which has an income focus rather than a growth focus.

I'd like to build up my VZ position too.  It's cheap historically, with a high yield and strong P/E ratio.
They also have some wicked debt and snails pace growth too.  I still like them, but only on good dips so I am compensated for the capital appreciation I may not ever see.

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - rayray - 02-06-2023

added to my amzn position

why? long story short--it's still a growing company

aws
logistics
ai/ar
e-commerce
subscription services

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - ChadR - 02-06-2023

(02-06-2023, 05:50 PM)fenders53 Wrote:
(02-06-2023, 02:51 PM)ken-do-nim Wrote:

They also have some wicked debt and snails pace growth too.  I still like them, but only on good dips so I am compensated for the capital appreciation I may not ever see.

The snail's pace growth is why I'm buying it in my IRA.  Wouldn't buy it in my ROTH or in my brokerage account.  Every so often, I'll grab a few shares of VZ in the IRA.

What I Am Buying Today. - vbin - 02-07-2023

Started buying back baba and added to oxy. Vicky Hollub hinting at potential acquisition from buffet and stressing on buybacks and dividends.

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - ken-do-nim - 02-07-2023

(02-05-2023, 02:36 PM)rayray Wrote: i guess what does one want, income or growth? can one be disciplined enough to invest for growth and make their own income from that return or does one have to depend on that dividend for that payment? we can only answer that question ourselves--personally--i believe the way to go is as much wealth as one can accumulate is the way to go--it's as simple as more money is better then less money.

most of us come from a "income" trained brain, we work and we get paid, we want that paycheck and it's easy to correlate that dividend as a paycheck--but how many people live from one paycheck to the next, from week to week? most people live that way--the trick is to treat your investments as a business and to grow that business, to think as a business owner rather then an employee.

i've evolved as an investor, dividends are nice, i won't turn them away but they're low on the totem pole when evaluating stocks

Right now during my child support paying years I'm prioritizing income.

That said, with all the revolutionary changes going on in the automobile area, from electric to self-driving to alternative fuels, I want to be in one of them.  Ford seems to be well positioned in those areas.  That said, my position is only $1k at present.

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - rayray - 02-07-2023

Ken,

I’m not sure I like any of the automakers, imho, they’ve been stuck in an era that didn’t exist anymore—I know people are most likely tired hearing about Tesla and Musk, but he came in at a different angle, he re-invisionized the industry and took it to new levels. The big 3 and European/Japan automakers will be playing catch up for a long time.

TSLA will be a very long hold and accumulating investment for me as it stands today. I think the last 6–8 months or so have been a wonderful buying opportunity in this company.

We get caught up in growth vs value, sometimes I think investors should look beyond those terms, not ignore them but beyond or in a different mindset. Is the company/business in an accelerating phase, a stagnant phase or a decelerating phase? We look at data/numbers then sometimes we have to look at the people, cause the people matter.

Imho—Tesla—amazon—apple—Microsoft—meta—alphabet—Netflix—are still very much on the uptrend—im long and will remain long in Tesla/apple/msft/Googl/Goog/amzn because I think they’re still growing businesses

Amazon is pushing close to 600k working robots and they have around 1.5million employees, there will be a day within the next couple to few years they’ll have more working robots then employees. Part of me thinks while the big 3 and European automakers are figuring themselves out as automakers, Tesla is building robots in a cars skin, Tesla is an ecosystem that never sleeps.

What I Am Buying Today. - vbin - 02-07-2023

Added cvs and tiny bit BMY