Dividend Growth Forum
What I Am Buying Today. - Printable Version

+- Dividend Growth Forum (http://DividendGrowthForum.com)
+-- Forum: Dividend Growth Investing (http://DividendGrowthForum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=15)
+--- Forum: Dividend Growth Investing (http://DividendGrowthForum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Thread: What I Am Buying Today. (/showthread.php?tid=2014)

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - ken-do-nim - 02-03-2023

I dipped into my cash supply today because I couldn't resist and bought more ZIM and F.

Until ZIM announces their April dividend in March, I am going to be in total suspense! There are people on the Yahoo forum saying the dividend will be as high as $10/share, which, for a $22/share stock, is amazing. Of course it was $17/share last March, so that's actually realistic.

F dipped today, so I would have been tempted to buy more anyway, but they also issued a special $0.65 one time dividend that I wanted to get in on.

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - Mr1share - 02-03-2023

Added APD

F never been a fan of. I'm just not of fan of buying car companies. Too un predictable

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - EricL - 02-03-2023

Used pooled dividends to start new positions in OZK and TXRH.

(02-03-2023, 02:13 PM)EricL Wrote: Used pooled dividends to start new positions in OZK and TXRH.

I wish people explained more in this thread why they do what they do.

For instance, what is the appeal of Texas Roadhouse?  Yield under 2%, P/E over 25, in the competitive restaurant business.  I'm sure you have a good reason; it's just not obvious Smile

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - Mr1share - 02-03-2023

(02-03-2023, 02:24 PM)ken-do-nim Wrote:
(02-03-2023, 02:13 PM)EricL Wrote: Used pooled dividends to start new positions in OZK and TXRH.

For instance, what is the appeal of Texas Roadhouse?  Yield under 2%, P/E over 25, in the competitive restaurant business.  I'm sure you have a good reason; it's just not obvious Smile

Walk in to a Texas Roadhouse and you will see why its a great stock to own lol. Dude it's packed every night and that bread is to die for  Big Grin

There is no competition for them. No one can compete. They have their own niche 

Now explain to us why you like FORD  Big Grin  Cant be the PE. That PE is always less then 8, because they have no growth . Talk about a competitive market lol  The entire sector is facing headwinds and sales are down to 13 million units compares to 19 million during covid. Where's the growth?  And worst is they have F grade for debt.  Stay away  Big Grin

(02-03-2023, 02:37 PM)Mr1share Wrote:

Walk in to a Texas Roadhouse and you will see why its a great stock to own lol. Dude it's packed every night and that bread is to die for  Big Grin

There is no competition for them. No one can compete. They have their own niche 

Now explain to us why you like FORD  Big Grin  Cant be the PE. That PE is always less then 8, because they have no growth . Talk about a competitive market lol  The entire sector is facing headwinds and sales are down to 13 million units compares to 19 million during covid. Where's the growth?  And worst is they have F grade for debt.  Stay away  Big Grin

Is the bread better than what Cheesecake Factory has?  I mean, Cheesecake Factory is also packed every time I go there.

Ford - here's where you can teach me.  "That PE is always less than 8, because they have no growth."  Yeah, the PE is 5.88, the EPS is 2.24, and the yield is 4.35%; I thought those were stellar numbers.  What am I missing?  Why shouldn't I be looking at those?

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - EricL - 02-03-2023

TXRH has grown EPS at a 15.87% annual rate over the last 15 years, with 9% or better EPS growth in every year but 2020. It's expected to continue growing at mid-teens rate going forward.

It's trading near its historical fair valuation and is due for a dividend boost in a couple of weeks that should push my YOC to around 2%.

Bank OZK is trading at a PE of just 8.6X 2023 EPS estimates and has a yield of 2.82%. It raises the dividend quarterly and has grown the dividend for 26 straight years with a CAGR of 19.9% over the last decade and 12.4% over the last five years.

I've watched both for some time and finally just decided to start positions that I can build over time. I bought just two shares of each to get them in my portfolio, and now they are there to watch and add as opportunities arise.

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - crimsonghost747 - 02-04-2023

I think this is a pretty good idea. I guess it wouldn't hurt to write 1-2 sentences about why we decided to make that move.
I'll do my best to write a quick summary the next time I buy something.

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - fenders53 - 02-05-2023

Ken, I like your idea to provide a brief explanation. I lost interest in reading swing trade stock picks. I will share some of my recent buys soon.

TXRH is my second largest holding. Only restaurant I will own. Not super cheap, but then again staples are carrying 25 PEs.

I want to like F but the industry is uninvestible way too often and you give all your gains back. I will give F a look when their competitors are in deep financial trouble.

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - rayray - 02-05-2023

(02-05-2023, 08:42 AM)fenders53 Wrote: Ken, I like your idea to provide a brief explanation.  I lost interest in reading swing trade stock picks.  I will share some of my recent buys soon.

TXRH is my second largest holding.  Only restaurant I will own.  Not super cheap, but then again staples are carrying 25 PEs.    

I want to like F but the industry is uninvestible way too often and you give all your gains back.  I will give F a look when their competitors are in deep financial trouble.

over the last 10 years...

TXRH w/o dividend reinvestment average annual total return has been 20.7%--10k turns into 62k and change

F w/o dividend reinvestment average annual total return has been 3.27%--10k turns into 13k and change

certain companies are better run companies then others, in turn make better investments--imho--ford has been a poor investment for decades so i put it in the "why bother" category, too much against ford and the big 3--expensive legacy problems, but for me it's the technology behind these companies, they're behind the times and have a lot of catching up to do--when and how is that going to happen??

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - fenders53 - 02-05-2023

(02-05-2023, 11:31 AM)rayray Wrote:
(02-05-2023, 08:42 AM)fenders53 Wrote: Ken, I like your idea to provide a brief explanation.  I lost interest in reading swing trade stock picks.  I will share some of my recent buys soon.

TXRH is my second largest holding.  Only restaurant I will own.  Not super cheap, but then again staples are carrying 25 PEs.    

I want to like F but the industry is uninvestible way too often and you give all your gains back.  I will give F a look when their competitors are in deep financial trouble.

TXRH w/o dividend reinvestment average annual total return has been 20.7%--10k turns into 62k and change

F w/o dividend reinvestment average annual total return has been 3.27%--10k turns into 13k and change

certain companies are better run companies then others, in turn make better investments--imho--ford has been a poor investment for decades so i put it in the "why bother" category, too much against ford and the big 3--expensive legacy problems, but for me it's the technology behind these companies, they're behind the times and have a lot of catching up to do--when and how is that going to happen??
One of the biggest problems with that F return is that occurred during a time the economy was well above average.  Other decades were negative.  F has been a survivor ,but that hasn't made for a good investment return.  They may stabilize the dividend, but there are safer ways to get that income.

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - rayray - 02-05-2023

(02-05-2023, 12:38 PM)fenders53 Wrote:
(02-05-2023, 11:31 AM)rayray Wrote:

One of the biggest problems with that F return is that occurred during a time the economy was well above average.  Other decades were negative.  F has been a survivor ,but that hasn't made for a good investment return.  They may stabilize the dividend, but there are safer ways to get that income.

i guess what does one want, income or growth? can one be disciplined enough to invest for growth and make their own income from that return or does one have to depend on that dividend for that payment? we can only answer that question ourselves--personally--i believe the way to go is as much wealth as one can accumulate is the way to go--it's as simple as more money is better then less money.

most of us come from a "income" trained brain, we work and we get paid, we want that paycheck and it's easy to correlate that dividend as a paycheck--but how many people live from one paycheck to the next, from week to week? most people live that way--the trick is to treat your investments as a business and to grow that business, to think as a business owner rather then an employee.

i've evolved as an investor, dividends are nice, i won't turn them away but they're low on the totem pole when evaluating stocks