Dividend Growth Forum
What I Am Buying Today. - Printable Version

+- Dividend Growth Forum (http://DividendGrowthForum.com)
+-- Forum: Dividend Growth Investing (http://DividendGrowthForum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=15)
+--- Forum: Dividend Growth Investing (http://DividendGrowthForum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Thread: What I Am Buying Today. (/showthread.php?tid=2014)

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - crimsonghost747 - 12-22-2022

I like those LHX adds. It was a good company before, but if the aerojet deal goes through then it'll be an even better company. I'll probably add to my position sometime soon.

Today I bought some BIP. This one is starting to be too cheap soon.

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - Mr1share - 12-22-2022

added DVN LNG, LHX, WSO and BMY

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - ChadR - 12-22-2022

Added to AVGO

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - ken-do-nim - 12-26-2022

Hi all and merry Christmas. Sorry I haven't been active on the forums but I haven't been able to invest in quite some time. Due to child support increases, I pull the majority of my dividends into my checking account to balance the budget. That should end by June, when my ex should have a job; assuming she passes the bar exam on the first try.

It wll be interesting to see what the investing landscape looks like by mid 2023! I will mostly be dollar cost averaging down my losses then, I imagine.

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - fenders53 - 12-26-2022

(12-26-2022, 08:40 AM)ken-do-nim Wrote: Hi all and merry Christmas.  Sorry I haven't been active on the forums but I haven't been able to invest in quite some time.  Due to child support increases, I pull the majority of my dividends into my checking account to balance the budget.  That should end by June, when my ex should have a job; assuming she passes the bar exam on the first try.  

It wll be interesting to see what the investing landscape looks like by mid 2023!  I will mostly be dollar cost averaging down my losses then, I imagine.

Nice to hear from you Ken.  Hard to say what 2023 brings.  I am not too optimistic for the first few quarters but things change.

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - Kerim - 12-26-2022

Hey-ooo. Yeah, my crystal ball has been especially cloudy lately. Mostly I've dealt with this by sitting tight. Nibbling a very few shares here and there -- mostly averaging down in underwater positions. Dividend income holding pretty steady, which I guess is one of the main reasons we do this!

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - rayray - 12-26-2022

as long as one is in the accumulation phase these times usually work out well, with time and patience

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - ken-do-nim - 12-26-2022

(12-26-2022, 02:55 PM)rayray Wrote: as long as one is in the accumulation phase these times usually work out well, with time and patience

Yes, thank goodness I took this beating with 10-15 years to go until retirement.

My dividend income has been a bit of a yo-yo.  RIO, VALE, and BX all reduced their dividends over the course of 2022, while my "big 3" quarterly payers FSK (1/4/7/10), HTGC (2/5/8/11), and ARCC (3/6/9/12) all increased their dividends substantially.  Others like ECC and RQI are giving bonus payouts. I've also dipped my toe into the ginormous dividend payer ZIM (another 3/6/9/12) which fluctuates a lot each quarter (while its price has fallen precipitously!).  Right now none of my months are less than $600, so I have SCHD on automatic purchase for $200, another $400 goes to checking, leaving me nothing extra in the lean months, but 3/6/9/12 still has another $500 - $800 or so leftover.  I will probably focus on down-trodden tech for a while with those funds, as well as cautiously add more ZIM.

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - crimsonghost747 - 12-27-2022

(12-26-2022, 01:30 PM)Kerim Wrote: Hey-ooo. Yeah, my crystal ball has been especially cloudy lately. Mostly I've dealt with this by sitting tight. Nibbling a very few shares here and there -- mostly averaging down in underwater positions. Dividend income holding pretty steady, which I guess is one of the main reasons we do this!

Yes indeed, this is exactly the reason why I chose to go with DGI. 
As most of you may remember, this was my first year (well most of it anyway) in retirement. And it certainly was a dodgy one when looking at my portfolios performance. However, so far there hasn't been a single dividend cut so I'm not worried at all, quite the opposite actually. 

Also, having a pretty large cash balance really gives me some peace of mind in times like these. Though of course with this inflation it's not really a smart move to have too much cash for too long.

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - ken-do-nim - 12-27-2022

(12-27-2022, 02:57 AM)crimsonghost747 Wrote:
(12-26-2022, 01:30 PM)Kerim Wrote: Hey-ooo. Yeah, my crystal ball has been especially cloudy lately. Mostly I've dealt with this by sitting tight. Nibbling a very few shares here and there -- mostly averaging down in underwater positions. Dividend income holding pretty steady, which I guess is one of the main reasons we do this!

Yes indeed, this is exactly the reason why I chose to go with DGI. 
As most of you may remember, this was my first year (well most of it anyway) in retirement. And it certainly was a dodgy one when looking at my portfolios performance. However, so far there hasn't been a single dividend cut so I'm not worried at all, quite the opposite actually. 

Also, having a pretty large cash balance really gives me some peace of mind in times like these. Though of course with this inflation it's not really a smart move to have too much cash for too long.

My cap goes off to all of you who retired recently, and didn't have to un-retire.

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - stockguru - 12-27-2022

Took a big position in BILS. I will live off the dividend for the next 2-3 years and take the guarantee rather then invest in stocks. Just no reason to throw away money these days!

What I Am Buying Today. - vbin - 12-27-2022

Sold out of nvda PayPal, swks for tax loss harvesting. Hopefully can buy them back here or cheaper in a month