Dividend Growth Forum
What I Am Buying Today. - Printable Version

+- Dividend Growth Forum (http://DividendGrowthForum.com)
+-- Forum: Dividend Growth Investing (http://DividendGrowthForum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=15)
+--- Forum: Dividend Growth Investing (http://DividendGrowthForum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Thread: What I Am Buying Today. (/showthread.php?tid=2014)

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - fenders53 - 05-23-2022

(05-23-2022, 09:25 AM)Mr1share Wrote:
(05-23-2022, 09:03 AM)fenders53 Wrote:
(05-23-2022, 08:57 AM)Marknew Wrote: Added TXRH and GD

TXRH almost at a 52 week low. I always add at this $70 levels
About my largest holding which doesn't thrill me this month Smile  Solid buy here.  Best restaurant balance sheet we are going to find.

You must be getting wacked on DKS as well.  

I sold a while ago but I think at these levels its worth a long term buy. May buy a 25 now and 25 after earnings if it goes down another $20 from here  Big Grin

I believe ERIC owns at much higher levels as well. 

ROST recovering up $5 today. Retail has gotten way too beaten down. Any life of no recession and these stocks could rally big
Yes DKS hasn't been kind.  I have made thousands on DKS premiums the past few months but gave all of it back the past couple weeks on the share price dive.  My port is down 4% off ATHs.  I am trying to find comfort in that.  The only thing saving me is my ability to find incredible option premiums on quality stocks in this extreme fear, and oil.  I'd love to dive deeper in DKS but it's a full position now and I am trying to be disciplined.

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - cemanuel - 05-23-2022

(05-21-2022, 05:16 AM)cemanuel Wrote: Not sure where to post this so I'll toss it in here.

These market pullbacks have usually provided me with an opportunity to strengthen my portfolio. I'm going to take the weekend to see if this is the case now. I'll offer an example from a company I already own.

BBY now yields nearly 4.9%. Other relevant information from when I last ran #'s in February include:
- 18 consecutive years raising the dividend
- 5-yr DGR of 20.11%
- Most recent hike from $.70 to $.88 or 25.7%
- 26% payout ratio
- .40 debt to ebitda ratio

I'll be running a screen this weekend looking for companies yielding 4% and above with strong DGRs and good financials. Candidates to sell include WHR, T and VZ. There aren't many opportunities to replace the yield the last two provide while increasing DGR but now may be one of them. WHR may seem an outlier as it has a double-digit 5-yr DGR but my thesis for the company is long-term mid-single digit revenue growth which usually tracks dividend growth. The massive recent hike has skewed that figure and isn't something I see as sustainable.

This is all in my taxable account so taking a tax loss is part of the equation but not the number one objective; just a fringe benefit I may be able to get right now.

I'll post what I come up with - which may be nothing - once I get through it.

I came up with less than I thought I would. PRU was really the only one that at all interested me but I've looked at it before and never bought. There were a couple of other financials such as BX but the dividend growth history didn't meet my requirements.

Most likely scenario right now is that after BBY reports I'll sell about a third of my WHR, shares bought at $190, and replace it with BBY which will get Best Buy to a full position (words I never though I'd type). It's tempting to also sell my $185 shares, go overweight BBY, and after 31 days sell the BBY I bought at around $100 to bring it back down to full. But this means I think I can forecast BBY still trading low at the end of June.

I may decide I can think that but I probably shouldn't. I'll let you know what I do once I do it.

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - Mr1share - 05-23-2022

New starter positions in GLD, LNG and IIPR

Added STAG and UMH

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - fenders53 - 05-23-2022

(05-23-2022, 11:01 AM)cemanuel Wrote:
(05-21-2022, 05:16 AM)cemanuel Wrote: Not sure where to post this so I'll toss it in here.

These market pullbacks have usually provided me with an opportunity to strengthen my portfolio. I'm going to take the weekend to see if this is the case now. I'll offer an example from a company I already own.

BBY now yields nearly 4.9%. Other relevant information from when I last ran #'s in February include:
- 18 consecutive years raising the dividend
- 5-yr DGR of 20.11%
- Most recent hike from $.70 to $.88 or 25.7%
- 26% payout ratio
- .40 debt to ebitda ratio

I'll be running a screen this weekend looking for companies yielding 4% and above with strong DGRs and good financials. Candidates to sell include WHR, T and VZ. There aren't many opportunities to replace the yield the last two provide while increasing DGR but now may be one of them. WHR may seem an outlier as it has a double-digit 5-yr DGR but my thesis for the company is long-term mid-single digit revenue growth which usually tracks dividend growth. The massive recent hike has skewed that figure and isn't something I see as sustainable.

This is all in my taxable account so taking a tax loss is part of the equation but not the number one objective; just a fringe benefit I may be able to get right now.

I'll post what I come up with - which may be nothing - once I get through it.

I came up with less than I thought I would. PRU was really the only one that at all interested me but I've looked at it before and never bought. There were a couple of other financials such as BX but the dividend growth history didn't meet my requirements.

Most likely scenario right now is that after BBY reports I'll sell about a third of my WHR, shares bought at $190, and replace it with BBY which will get Best Buy to a full position (words I never though I'd type). It's tempting to also sell my $185 shares, go overweight BBY, and after 31 days sell the BBY I bought at around $100 to bring it back down to full. But this means I think I can forecast BBY still trading low at the end of June.

I may decide I can think that but I probably shouldn't. I'll let you know what I do once I do it.
That could work but it is likely you will have to trade around an oversold bounce.  The pull back is a bit extreme for stocks that weren't overvalued in the first place.

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - MrFortune - 05-23-2022

Added ABBV, EPD, TXRH and BMY

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - MrFortune - 05-23-2022

Who's buying FB at $180 after hours down $15? Does SNAP really have that much affect on Facebook lol

GOOG down $70 after hours as well

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - ConnerM - 05-23-2022

(05-23-2022, 04:44 PM)MrFortune Wrote: Who's buying FB at $180 after hours down $15? Does SNAP really have that much affect on Facebook lol

GOOG down $70 after hours as well

You beat me to the punch  Big Grin

I just added GOOG at $2125 and FB at $179

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - rayray - 05-23-2022

added to

amzn

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - fenders53 - 05-24-2022

Sold BBY puts at strike 54 and 58. I will ring the register on those are the open. Said I was done buying GOOGL but below 2100 will be tempting.

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - cemanuel - 05-24-2022

At open I'll be selling all my WHR shares bought at $190 and a few shares bought at $187. I'll buy an equivalent amount of BBY.

It's a gorgeous day - sunny, nice breeze and forecast for mid-70's. If it was raining I'd bury my face in the screen and try for an extra buck or two on each side of the trade - I'd tell myself that matters even though in the long run it really doesn't, much. Instead I'll trade and spend the rest of the day outside.

The above is unless something really wonky happens in the next 40 minutes.

Nice fringe benefit is WHR's ex-div just passed so I'll snag an extra payment. Didn't plan this, just a crazyrandomhappenstance.

I think there's a decent chance that with the lower guidance BBY will bleed lower for the next several days. It might make sense to do the WHR sale and wait for as low as $65 but I'm just gonna take care of it today.

Edit: Sold WHR at $172.56. BBY's early move up surprised me so I stuck a $70.40 (5% yield) LBO on it. Even if it doesn't reverse today, I think it'll get there if, as I expect, the market continues trending down.

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - ConnerM - 05-24-2022

Added GOOG at $2078

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - fenders53 - 05-24-2022

(05-24-2022, 07:57 AM)cemanuel Wrote: At open I'll be selling all my WHR shares bought at $190 and a few shares bought at $187. I'll buy an equivalent amount of BBY.

It's a gorgeous day - sunny, nice breeze and forecast for mid-70's. If it was raining I'd bury my face in the screen and try for an extra buck or two on each side of the trade - I'd tell myself that matters even though in the long run it really doesn't, much. Instead I'll trade and spend the rest of the day outside.

The above is unless something really wonky happens in the next 40 minutes.

Nice fringe benefit is WHR's ex-div just passed so I'll snag an extra payment. Didn't plan this, just a crazyrandomhappenstance.

I think there's a decent chance that with the lower guidance BBY will bleed lower for the next several days. It might make sense to do the WHR sale and wait for as low as $65 but I'm just gonna take care of it today.

Edit: Sold WHR at $172.56. BBY's early move up surprised me so I stuck a $70.40 (5% yield) LBO on it. Even if it doesn't reverse today, I think it'll get there if, as I expect, the market continues trending down.
I agree with that assessment.  I do like WHR at the right price for the long-term with that fat div but this isn't the right price considering we know it gets rougher. I will continue seling WHR puts on hard dips.  BBY anywhere under 70 is a strong buy, even if it happens to drift lower.  This will look smart in a few years.

Closed my BBY puts for a 97% overnight profit. Should have been bolder with the strikes but I had no idea the report would be good enough.