Dividend Growth Forum
What I Am Buying Today. - Printable Version

+- Dividend Growth Forum (http://DividendGrowthForum.com)
+-- Forum: Dividend Growth Investing (http://DividendGrowthForum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=15)
+--- Forum: Dividend Growth Investing (http://DividendGrowthForum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Thread: What I Am Buying Today. (/showthread.php?tid=2014)

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - cemanuel - 05-21-2022

Not sure where to post this so I'll toss it in here.

These market pullbacks have usually provided me with an opportunity to strengthen my portfolio. I'm going to take the weekend to see if this is the case now. I'll offer an example from a company I already own.

BBY now yields nearly 4.9%. Other relevant information from when I last ran #'s in February include:
- 18 consecutive years raising the dividend
- 5-yr DGR of 20.11%
- Most recent hike from $.70 to $.88 or 25.7%
- 26% payout ratio
- .40 debt to ebitda ratio

I'll be running a screen this weekend looking for companies yielding 4% and above with strong DGRs and good financials. Candidates to sell include WHR, T and VZ. There aren't many opportunities to replace the yield the last two provide while increasing DGR but now may be one of them. WHR may seem an outlier as it has a double-digit 5-yr DGR but my thesis for the company is long-term mid-single digit revenue growth which usually tracks dividend growth. The massive recent hike has skewed that figure and isn't something I see as sustainable.

This is all in my taxable account so taking a tax loss is part of the equation but not the number one objective; just a fringe benefit I may be able to get right now.

I'll post what I come up with - which may be nothing - once I get through it.

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - fenders53 - 05-21-2022

Saying you are going to add to BBY? I was building a position and may accelerate that if earnings cause a further dip. I think it may be a long wait but I like we the risk/reward here.

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - cemanuel - 05-21-2022

(05-21-2022, 07:22 AM)fenders53 Wrote: Saying you are going to add to BBY?  I was building a position and may accelerate that if earnings cause a further dip.  I think it may be a long wait but I like we the risk/reward here.

Good chance though I'll also wait until after the ER. I think there's a strong possibility that we see a continuation of recent retail ERs - decent sales but reduced income, earnings and margins due to not passing all costs on to customers. That happens and I think $65 is in its future.

With the current market, even a knock-it-out-of-the-park ER is unlikely to move it up for more than a day or two.

What I Am Buying Today. - vbin - 05-22-2022

Anyone holding DLTR or DG? Earnings expected to be bad?

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - cemanuel - 05-23-2022

(05-22-2022, 08:44 PM)vbin Wrote: Anyone holding DLTR or DG? Earnings expected to be bad?

I own DG. Figure on decent revenues but reduced margins and earnings, same as we're seeing with a lot of other retailers.

I do not consider this bad - just a characteristic of the current economy. Only thing that would really worry me is if the balance sheet goes downhill. Otherwise it's just something to tolerate. Good companies will figure it out.

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - divmenow - 05-23-2022

DG is already done 30% from its highs. I don’t no how it’s going to react after earnings but just maybe it surprises to the upside. I say buy some now, and buy some if it goes down after the report. TGT, WMT, ROST ect we’re not down 30% before the earnings drop. And I prefer DG over DLTR.

Other earrings out this week just maybe you buy puts and play the downside Wink

ANF
BBY
URBN
JWN
DKS
JWN
WSM

Big week for retail.

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - Marknew - 05-23-2022

(05-23-2022, 07:06 AM)divmenow Wrote: DG is already done 30% from its highs. I don’t no how it’s going to react after earnings but just maybe it surprises to the upside. I say buy some now, and buy some if it goes down after the report. TGT, WMT, ROST ect we’re not down 30% before the earnings drop.  And I prefer DG over DLTR.

Other earrings out this week just maybe you buy puts and play the downside Wink

ANF
BBY
URBN
JWN
DKS
JWN
WSM

Big week for retail.

Probably not a bad play at all.  All those names you listed are headed lower.

DG and DLTR I like. People will always shop there during tough times!

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - Marknew - 05-23-2022

Added TXRH and GD

TXRH almost at a 52 week low. I always add at this $70 levels

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - fenders53 - 05-23-2022

(05-23-2022, 08:57 AM)Marknew Wrote: Added TXRH and GD

About my largest holding which doesn't thrill me this month Smile  Solid buy here.  Best restaurant balance sheet we are going to find.

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - poneyboy - 05-23-2022

Ha I added TXRH as well as CBRL. My 2 favorite places to eat

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - Mr1share - 05-23-2022

Added AVGO, TXRH, HD and CMI

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - Mr1share - 05-23-2022

(05-23-2022, 09:03 AM)fenders53 Wrote:
(05-23-2022, 08:57 AM)Marknew Wrote: Added TXRH and GD

About my largest holding which doesn't thrill me this month Smile  Solid buy here.  Best restaurant balance sheet we are going to find.

You must be getting wacked on DKS as well.  

I sold a while ago but I think at these levels its worth a long term buy. May buy a 25 now and 25 after earnings if it goes down another $20 from here  Big Grin

I believe ERIC owns at much higher levels as well. 

ROST recovering up $5 today. Retail has gotten way too beaten down. Any life of no recession and these stocks could rally big