Dividend Growth Forum
What I Am Buying Today. - Printable Version

+- Dividend Growth Forum (http://DividendGrowthForum.com)
+-- Forum: Dividend Growth Investing (http://DividendGrowthForum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=15)
+--- Forum: Dividend Growth Investing (http://DividendGrowthForum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Thread: What I Am Buying Today. (/showthread.php?tid=2014)

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - NilesMike - 05-19-2022

Added to MPC and SCHD at the open.

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - divmenow - 05-19-2022

ROST down $21 in dismal outlook. I was going to buy $90 puts and didn’t. Damn it

Who’s next on earnings on retail? I say buy puts in them all Wink

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - fenders53 - 05-19-2022

(05-19-2022, 04:47 PM)divmenow Wrote: ROST down $21 in dismal outlook. I was going to buy $90 puts and didn’t. Damn it

Who’s next on earnings on retail?  I say buy puts in them all Wink
It seems a high percentage play.  Some have done OK but not many.  They go down whether they hit earnings or not because it isn't going get any easier for awhile.  I am going to be pleasantly surprised if BBY doesn't miss.

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - rayray - 05-20-2022

yesterday

added aapl

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - cemanuel - 05-20-2022

(05-19-2022, 02:16 PM)crimsonghost747 Wrote:
(05-19-2022, 06:52 AM)cemanuel Wrote:
(05-18-2022, 07:12 PM)fenders53 Wrote:
(05-18-2022, 06:49 PM)cemanuel Wrote: "Last recession WSM was a $30 stock"

I know. I bought some on 3/17/20 for $32.57.
That was a nice pickup, especially considering we had no clue if the market would be halved again.

For me, I just try to buy good companies at sound price points. It is tempting to just sit but then I'll need to figure out when the bottom is being set. I'm not smart enough to do that either.

I imagine it's the same for most of us here.
I personally have a very simple strategy. I buy with X amount each month. That amount stays the same, regardless if we are hitting all time highs or in a correction like now. I usually split that between 3-4 different companies so I'm always adding to something here and there.
Then, when the prices start to be good enough, I start adding more cash (on top of the regular X) at different levels of the sp500. We haven't reached that level yet in this correction, but I'm hoping we keep going down and I can pick up some quality stuff for cheap.

When I was accumulating in my taxable account I did the same. Actually it was whenever I accumulated $1k either from dividends received or my tossing a little spare cash in so I can't say it was "X amount" but same principle.

The only thing I worried about was whether something I liked was trading at or below my target price. There was never a time where I couldn't find something, even if it was adding to what I called a sluggard, such as VZ.

A lot of people get all wound up with trying to beat the market. Is it nice to outperform it? Sure, and I always have but just by a little (unless you consider yield). But really that's more an ego boost than anything for me. What I really want to do is use the market so meeting or nearly meeting its performance is fine.

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - Marknew - 05-20-2022

Historic PE levels will give you a good indication where stocks are headed

TGT historic is between 10-12. So at a current PE of 12 this may be a good nibble here

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - Marknew - 05-20-2022

New position in DE

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - divmenow - 05-20-2022

Nice I bought a few DE myself and WSO

Buying a few and will build the positions!

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - Dividendwayfarer - 05-20-2022

sold put on ROST, added a tiny bit on OXY and TSLA

What I Am Buying Today. - jalanlong - 05-20-2022

Added some Agco today. Its down almost 8% today and I cannot find any news that would explain the drop. Deere is also down 12% so it’s industry wide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - crimsonghost747 - 05-20-2022

(05-20-2022, 06:01 AM)cemanuel Wrote:
(05-19-2022, 02:16 PM)crimsonghost747 Wrote:
(05-19-2022, 06:52 AM)cemanuel Wrote:
(05-18-2022, 07:12 PM)fenders53 Wrote:
(05-18-2022, 06:49 PM)cemanuel Wrote: "Last recession WSM was a $30 stock"

I know. I bought some on 3/17/20 for $32.57.
That was a nice pickup, especially considering we had no clue if the market would be halved again.

For me, I just try to buy good companies at sound price points. It is tempting to just sit but then I'll need to figure out when the bottom is being set. I'm not smart enough to do that either.

I imagine it's the same for most of us here.
I personally have a very simple strategy. I buy with X amount each month. That amount stays the same, regardless if we are hitting all time highs or in a correction like now. I usually split that between 3-4 different companies so I'm always adding to something here and there.
Then, when the prices start to be good enough, I start adding more cash (on top of the regular X) at different levels of the sp500. We haven't reached that level yet in this correction, but I'm hoping we keep going down and I can pick up some quality stuff for cheap.

When I was accumulating in my taxable account I did the same. Actually it was whenever I accumulated $1k either from dividends received or my tossing a little spare cash in so I can't say it was "X amount" but same principle.

The only thing I worried about was whether something I liked was trading at or below my target price. There was never a time where I couldn't find something, even if it was adding to what I called a sluggard, such as VZ.

A lot of people get all wound up with trying to beat the market. Is it nice to outperform it? Sure, and I always have but just by a little (unless you consider yield). But really that's more an ego boost than anything for me. What I really want to do is use the market so meeting or nearly meeting its performance is fine.

I do not even worry about this, since I have noticed that with great companies time seems to fix the valuation issues as long as they are not too extreme. I'm not going to buy ridiculously expensive stuff if I see no value there, but great companies tend to go up over the course of the years and even "too expensive" buys look good in a year, two or five. Or 20 years if Fenders starts talking about his "good buys" before the dotcom crash.  Big Grin

The old thread was quite full of examples of me doing this. I faintly recall buying JNJ at maybe $115 or so and claiming that it's way too expensive but it'll be fine sooner or later. I think I have been saying that the market is a bit overvalued and should lose 10% or 15% since 2014 or something. (excluding the covid crash) And there are times when I truly haven't found much to buy, so then I just throw that X amount of cash into JNJ or PEP and let time do it's magic.

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - rayray - 05-21-2022

added to

aapl

i guess an appl a day will keep the doctor away