Dividend Growth Forum
What I Am Buying Today. - Printable Version

+- Dividend Growth Forum (http://DividendGrowthForum.com)
+-- Forum: Dividend Growth Investing (http://DividendGrowthForum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=15)
+--- Forum: Dividend Growth Investing (http://DividendGrowthForum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Thread: What I Am Buying Today. (/showthread.php?tid=2014)

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - ken-do-nim - 04-14-2022

(04-14-2022, 05:36 AM)cemanuel Wrote: "Speaking of WBD, E*Trade reports my cost basis for it as $0.  Is that right???"

Taxable or tax-advantaged account?

On a technical basis, the answer is no, it's wrong. Maybe there'd be some funny way of acquiring T shares that would result in a 0 CB but I'm not aware of one. But brokerages often treat distributions in a tax-advantaged account as having a 0 CB even though this isn't really the case - but may as well be for tax purposes.

Taxable.  I'll have to call then.

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - Kerim - 04-14-2022

(04-14-2022, 08:58 AM)ken-do-nim Wrote:
(04-14-2022, 05:36 AM)cemanuel Wrote: "Speaking of WBD, E*Trade reports my cost basis for it as $0.  Is that right???"

On a technical basis, the answer is no, it's wrong. Maybe there'd be some funny way of acquiring T shares that would result in a 0 CB but I'm not aware of one. But brokerages often treat distributions in a tax-advantaged account as having a 0 CB even though this isn't really the case - but may as well be for tax purposes.

I'd give it a few days before worrying about it. I saw a lot of comments over on SA about several brokers that do not have cost basis worked out yet, and even a few folks saying they got double the number of WBD shares than they should have. Although it seems like it should be pretty straightforward, I'm sure they're still doing the math and updating the databases and it will propagate down eventually.

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - cemanuel - 04-14-2022

Finished buys using my WBD and ADM sales. Bought BBY at $95 and WHR at $175.

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - Kerim - 04-14-2022

Just increased my BEN by 25 percent. AUM growing nicely (mostly through acquisition), P/E is under 7 at the moment, payout ratio is super healthy around 30 percent, and yielding 4.5 percent. Even if you believe a recession is inevitable, this feels like a good buy to me -- especially to lower my basis!

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - ken-do-nim - 04-15-2022

(11-15-2021, 10:23 AM)fenders53 Wrote:
(11-15-2021, 10:01 AM)poneyboy Wrote: Me too on CRWD. I need to add  more growth. That's what everyone wants these days. Tired of being in the names that don't move lol

Finally sold my T after 8 years. Had enough lol
Nobody can say you weren't patient.  I've held a few dogs for decades but two years is about the max these days before I try to slap myself out of denial.

(04-14-2022, 09:17 AM)Kerim Wrote:
(04-14-2022, 08:58 AM)ken-do-nim Wrote:

I'd give it a few days before worrying about it. I saw a lot of comments over on SA about several brokers that do not have cost basis worked out yet, and even a few folks saying they got double the number of WBD shares than they should have. Although it seems like it should be pretty straightforward, I'm sure they're still doing the math and updating the databases and it will propagate down eventually.

... and just like that my cost basis on WBD appeared, and my cost basis on T lowered.

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - rnsmth - 04-15-2022

Will buy some GLW on Monday

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - cemanuel - 04-16-2022

My favorite example of this is after a split. For a brief, shining moment before Fidelity adjusts the CB to account for the increased number of shares my account balance has me wondering about buying a small island in the Caribbean. I have to catch it just right though. Hoping I can for the Alphabet split this summer, I own a whole honkin' lot of it (a little AMZN). Wink

Strangely, when I had MFs in my retirement account it would show up in my account as a loss in the stock which can be calculated as: "(Old SP-New SP)/new# of shares." The account balance wouldn't change but the daily loss number would have me wondering how I missed the advent of The Next Great Depression. I had a moment of panic the first time this happened.

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - fenders53 - 04-16-2022

Yes lol, I have been surprised a few times opening my account after a split.

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - ken-do-nim - 04-18-2022

Brief update on my situation. After the double whammy of my huge tax bill for 2021 and the expensive car repair, my savings are drained, and I still have upcoming a furnace repair. So, as far as new money coming into my brokerage account is concerned, it will probably be 6 months before my Emergency Fund is back at a sufficient level for me to feel comfortable investing again. Meanwhile, I have been dividend reinvesting, mainly bumping up VALE, BX, HPQ and SCHD.

As far as infusions from selling company stock go, my company is not expected to complete its transition from big one-off contracts to a subscription model until 2024, so my instinct is to just leave it alone while the market oversells it.

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - fenders53 - 04-18-2022

(04-18-2022, 07:10 AM)ken-do-nim Wrote: Brief update on my situation.  After the double whammy of my huge tax bill for 2021 and the expensive car repair, my savings are drained, and I still have upcoming a furnace repair.  So, as far as new money coming into my brokerage account is concerned, it will probably be 6 months before my Emergency Fund is back at a sufficient level for me to feel comfortable investing again.  Meanwhile, I have been dividend reinvesting, mainly bumping up VALE, BX, HPQ and SCHD.

As far as infusions from selling company stock go, my company is not expected to complete its transition from big one-off contracts to a subscription model until 2024, so my instinct is to just leave it alone while the market oversells it.
Yeah if I sold any company stock here I would need an equally beat up stock to buy.  That pullback was rough.

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - stockguru - 04-18-2022

Added SCHW

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - kblake - 04-18-2022

Added UPS, TSCO, WSO, and EPD

SCHW does look interesting now at these levels Guru

I trimmed some CVX and VLO