Dividend Growth Forum
What I Am Buying Today. - Printable Version

+- Dividend Growth Forum (http://DividendGrowthForum.com)
+-- Forum: Dividend Growth Investing (http://DividendGrowthForum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=15)
+--- Forum: Dividend Growth Investing (http://DividendGrowthForum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Thread: What I Am Buying Today. (/showthread.php?tid=2014)

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - fenders53 - 02-23-2022

(02-23-2022, 03:35 PM)vbin Wrote: @fenders53 thoughts on XLU? Thinking to sell some of my utes which are still 20-50% up and just buy xlu. With interest rates going up utes should see some downward pressure?
We've never been at 0% before but the textbook answer is yes. When the RISK FREE rate heads towards 2% and beyond . A 3% yield from a highish PE stock doesn't look so good.  At some point early in the raise cycle it is highly likely utilities get a haircut.  FED telegraphed this long ago so I am at 50% of my normal UTE allocation.  You know I love them but IMO I'll get a chance to buy back at a better yield.  I could have just sold out but my basis in XEL is under $10.  It will be OK over time.  I am itching to buy some more WEC because they are going to keep beating earnings with their green lean but the time just isn't here yet.  IMO best way to hold UTEs now is sell a covered call and walk it down. At least you can score  5% annual yield while it plays out.  That is exactly what I have been doing with XEL and WEC for a long time now.  Wish I could just hold all my UTES at 100% but it's foolish to take a beating and miss the chance to buy lower in a tax advantaged account.

(02-23-2022, 04:11 PM)stockguru Wrote: I'm all in now. No more cash available. I'm on $0 Wink

I added to what names I could buy before the close. FB, JNJ, HD, MSFT, TSCO, WFC, DG, and MMM

I would have had an extra 40k but we are getting a new kitchen put in next week. So this market better go up 10% from here fast lol

My oldest son and his friends are really hating of late. All their hard earn money is gone. They tell me they will never invest again. I see this as a pattern with the young investors. Wall Street and the powers that be have ruined the excitement the younger generation had. Its a shame.

The war may be between Russia and the Ukraine. But I feel the war will be with each other in the US over the market and messing with peoples retirement because the fed screwed up as did wall St. Just my opinion Wink
Zero???  I think we will get an oversold bounce soon enough.  If it happens make that number not zero again.  The FED does not make us buy overvalued equities.  Greed and inexperience does that.   I hope your son gives it another chance.

(02-23-2022, 04:45 PM)cemanuel Wrote: Today's buys: AMD, BBY, DG, FAF, GOOGL, KLAC, LRCX, NVDA, TGT, TROW
I am jealous you have so much cash to invest.  Smile   Your transfer timing was great.  

No buys today but I am ready to get a little more serious.   Probably tomorrow whether market is green or not  Can't sit on my hands forever.  Probably already said this here but I hate the slow bleeds that can drain your cash, but I'm not so sure I am going to get that market capitulation I was hoping for.  It doesn't always happen.

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - ken-do-nim - 02-23-2022

(02-23-2022, 04:33 PM)saimash Wrote:
(02-23-2022, 04:11 PM)stockguru Wrote: I'm all in now. No more cash available. I'm on $0 Wink

I added to what names I could buy before the close. FB, JNJ, HD, MSFT, TSCO, WFC, DG, and MMM

I would have had an extra 40k but we are getting a new kitchen put in next week. So this market better go up 10% from here fast lol

My oldest son and his friends are really hating of late. All their hard earn money is gone. They tell me they will never invest again. I see this as a pattern with the young investors. Wall Street and the powers that be have ruined the excitement the younger generation had. Its a shame.

The war may be between Russia and the Ukraine. But I feel the war will be with each other in the US over the market and messing with peoples retirement because the fed screwed up as did wall St. Just my opinion Wink

Sad to see the young generation getting disillusioned by the market behavior... You need to keep reminding them that they have a lot of time on their hands and will eventually get ahead... As for me, my "Mid Life Crisis" Portfolio which I started with 50K initial investment and slowly kept on investing all the way till $200K is now sitting at around $120K... Think I should be writing a book on what stocks to avoid based on my own stupidity over the past 2 years  Big Grin 

All the hype behind Electric Vehicles, 3D Printing, Online Doctor Visits better manifest themselves in the real world soon  Smile

I hear you!

The only silver lining to this market drop are my non-REIT high dividend payers (OXLC, ECC, HTGC); they've been a god send.  Which is weird because in the March 2020 drop, they collapsed like rocks.  My hardware stocks are also enduring the storm (AVGO, STX).  

I decided to take $2k out of my vacation fund today and put it in the market.  I have a trip to Colorado lined up and mostly paid for already in June, and anything else I decide to book I still have plenty there to pay for.  I also decided I could reinvest my accumulated dividends, since I have my annual bonus coming up in March and taxes look to only slice out 2/3 of it.  Finally, I tearfully said goodbye (for now) to CIM, the last of my high dividend paying REITs, which has been sinking fast.  I still think it's an excellent company (better than NLY or AGNC) but I think it would be better to get back in after the rate increases stop.

With those proceeds I boosted:
VALE
RIO
OXLC
ECC
HTGC
HRZN
RQI
RA
HPQ
SPUU
BX
HD

Estimated annual income now stands at $8,169.46, which is kinda/sorta accurate*.  It is also very lumpy; March and September I will receive over $1000, but May and August are projected at half that.

* ETrade overcounts VALE and TECL, but undercounts HTGC.

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - stockguru - 02-23-2022

I just read Putin and XI are smoking cigar laughing their #$%$ off . They shorted American markets and are making a killing. .This whole thing was a hoax just to get rich ? Why didn’t I play the other side? Dumb Americans we are lol

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - stockguru - 02-23-2022

Nasdaq 22% off recent highs, resulting in nearly 50% loss of 3.5 year gains.

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - crimsonghost747 - 02-24-2022

(02-23-2022, 05:38 PM)fenders53 Wrote:
(02-23-2022, 04:45 PM)cemanuel Wrote: Today's buys: AMD, BBY, DG, FAF, GOOGL, KLAC, LRCX, NVDA, TGT, TROW
I am jealous you have so much cash to invest.  Smile   Your transfer timing was great.  

No buys today but I am ready to get a little more serious.   Probably tomorrow whether market is green or not  Can't sit on my hands forever.  Probably already said this here but I hate the slow bleeds that can drain your cash, but I'm not so sure I am going to get that market capitulation I was hoping for.  It doesn't always happen.

Looks like you'll get a chance to buy today, everything red as hell following the official start of the Russian invasion.

I'll be throwing in my weekly buys today. I'm still not at that point where I want to start throwing extra money at the market, though I should probably start to make a plan as to when I should start that. But for now I'll just stick to the same old gameplan of buying a little of something every single week.

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - fenders53 - 02-24-2022

(02-23-2022, 07:39 PM)ken-do-nim Wrote:
(02-23-2022, 04:33 PM)saimash Wrote:

Sad to see the young generation getting disillusioned by the market behavior... You need to keep reminding them that they have a lot of time on their hands and will eventually get ahead... As for me, my "Mid Life Crisis" Portfolio which I started with 50K initial investment and slowly kept on investing all the way till $200K is now sitting at around $120K... Think I should be writing a book on what stocks to avoid based on my own stupidity over the past 2 years  Big Grin 

All the hype behind Electric Vehicles, 3D Printing, Online Doctor Visits better manifest themselves in the real world soon  Smile

I hear you!

The only silver lining to this market drop are my non-REIT high dividend payers (OXLC, ECC, HTGC); they've been a god send.  Which is weird because in the March 2020 drop, they collapsed like rocks.  My hardware stocks are also enduring the storm (AVGO, STX).  

I decided to take $2k out of my vacation fund today and put it in the market.  I have a trip to Colorado lined up and mostly paid for already in June, and anything else I decide to book I still have plenty there to pay for.  I also decided I could reinvest my accumulated dividends, since I have my annual bonus coming up in March and taxes look to only slice out 2/3 of it.  Finally, I tearfully said goodbye (for now) to CIM, the last of my high dividend paying REITs, which has been sinking fast.  I still think it's an excellent company (better than NLY or AGNC) but I think it would be better to get back in after the rate increases stop.

With those proceeds I boosted:
VALE
RIO
OXLC
ECC
HTGC
HRZN
RQI
RA
HPQ
SPUU
BX
HD

Estimated annual income now stands at $8,169.46, which is kinda/sorta accurate*.  It is also very lumpy; March and September I will receive over $1000, but May and August are projected at half that.

* ETrade overcounts VALE and TECL, but undercounts HTGC.
Proof that at some point diversification helps.  It may not maximize your total returns or income in the end, (it probably won't), but it keeps the drawdowns tolerable.   

I agree with your sell of CIM.  I'd never advocate panic port selling, but trying to slow the bleeding isn't a crazy thought.  I dumped most of my lower confidence stocks in NOV-DEC, and the last of my highish yielders a month ago.  There will be a time to re-enter.  The more conservative won't see returns as high as some during the bull, but not losing all my gains is just as important.

All the covered calls I have open are going to melt like butter.  Now to keep my cool and be careful adding them back at prices I could regret when we bounce.  Yes there will be a bounce.  Institutions have to return and steal all the poker chips from the retail panic sellers.

(02-23-2022, 11:01 PM)stockguru Wrote: Nasdaq 22% off recent highs, resulting in nearly 50% loss of 3.5 year gains.
This sounds like your first stock market correction?  But it's really not so keep your cool.  It's going to be OK as long as you don't throw in the towel on your good companies.  

Which of your companies are going out of business if rates rise 2%?

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - cemanuel - 02-24-2022

(02-24-2022, 02:47 AM)crimsonghost747 Wrote:

Looks like you'll get a chance to buy today, everything red as hell following the official start of the Russian invasion.

I'll be throwing in my weekly buys today. I'm still not at that point where I want to start throwing extra money at the market, though I should probably start to make a plan as to when I should start that. But for now I'll just stick to the same old gameplan of buying a little of something every single week.

I'm sticking to my plan myself. I imagine we're looking at least at a 3-5% drop today. If that brings things into my buy zone, I'll buy. Not gonna spend everything but I suspect there are companies I thought I wasn't getting that will have dropped to my price. Just ran a check on ADBE (dropped my target price to $345 from $410) and have others.

I won't spend everything today but I also won't deliberately hold back because the market may drop further. If I do, I'm attributing psychic powers to myself that I just do not have.

(02-24-2022, 06:11 AM)cemanuel Wrote:

I'm sticking to my plan myself. I imagine we're looking at least at a 3-5% drop today. If that brings things into my buy zone, I'll buy. Not gonna spend everything but I suspect there are companies I thought I wasn't getting that will have dropped to my price. Just ran a check on ADBE (dropped my target price to $345 from $410) and have others.

I won't spend everything today but I also won't deliberately hold back because the market may drop further. If I do, I'm attributing psychic powers to myself that I just do not have.
My psychic powers were good the past few weeks so I am treating myself to some shares today.  Today may not be the bottom, but it wasn't the top for sure.  The majority of my buys will be the highest quality stocks for the next year (IMO of course).

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - cemanuel - 02-24-2022

(02-24-2022, 06:54 AM)fenders53 Wrote:
(02-24-2022, 06:11 AM)cemanuel Wrote:

My psychic powers were good the past few weeks so I am treating myself to some shares today.  Today may not be the bottom, but it wasn't the top for sure.  The majority of my buys will be the highest quality stocks for the next year (IMO of course).

Not gonna do the math but I suspect taking all my 403b mutual funds to cash two weeks ago saved me $60-80k. It was $30-40k before I started buying Tuesday morning and the decline has just sped up. Sometimes you get lucky though it was the CPI report I sold based on, didn't just consult my Magic Investing Ouija Board.