Dividend Growth Forum
What I Am Buying Today. - Printable Version

+- Dividend Growth Forum (http://DividendGrowthForum.com)
+-- Forum: Dividend Growth Investing (http://DividendGrowthForum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=15)
+--- Forum: Dividend Growth Investing (http://DividendGrowthForum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Thread: What I Am Buying Today. (/showthread.php?tid=2014)

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - fenders53 - 01-21-2022

(01-21-2022, 06:22 AM)cemanuel Wrote: I plan to sell BMY from my Roth after the market opens. Both AMD and NVDA have reached my purchase price - or the price I had for them a little while back. But with the market charts looking like they do I'll sit on the cash for a bit and see where the prices go.

I'm also looking at selling the "growthier" MFs from my 403b, including a Nasdaq Index Fund. It's something I hate the thought of doing - and never have done - but I'll be converting it to stocks some time after 2/19/22 when I do the IRA rollover and right now I'm thinking cash will retain value better for the next month.

NOTE: I suck at selling. I've been thinking of selling the funds since Tuesday. As I'm waiting until today, chances are that as usual the barn door will shut after all the critters already escaped and Monday will see a market turnaround. ; Of course I haven't sold yet - this really goes against my grain, even for 30 days.

The Roth is TR, as the IRA will be. The taxable account is for dividends and this market action to me is meaningless there as I'm no longer buying new companies and like what I own in it, other than T.
That market timing thing is tricky.  I thought our relief rally in tech started yesterday morning.  Nope, lol.  It will almost surely happen but it might not last long.  This is why I usually try to move slow overall.

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - cemanuel - 01-21-2022

That market timing thing is tricky.  I thought our relief rally in tech started yesterday morning.

I'll be giving the last hour of today's market a hard look. Going into a weekend do people see an opportunity or a risk? That's the nice thing with MFs. Whether I sell now or at 3:59 I get the same price.

I guess it's a nice thing if I tell myself it is. Wink

They will see risk most likely. Barrage of big tech earnings next week. I've done most of my buying end of day lately. Late dips have definitely been pattern of the month.

(01-21-2022, 08:59 AM)stockguru Wrote:
(01-20-2022, 09:16 PM)fenders53 Wrote:
(01-20-2022, 06:07 PM)stockguru Wrote: I just saw this…

Take  a look at the last hour of trading in Clorox that doesn't report for a bit. Unless it preannounces tonight and the seller has illegal info, no human trader would sell it like that. Just a stupid program mowing down everything at crummy prices.’

That sums up crooks at work lol. All these insiders know before hand.  Programs, bots are making these trades and drops. We seen this before. SCC really needs to crack down on this crap.
I looked at chart but not quite sure what you are talking about.  A lot of stocks got slammed late in the day.

Those were Cramer's words not mine lol. I was on his twitter account and was reading all the replies
Apparently just somebody rambling. A stock pulling back a couple percent right before they report earnings is about as rare as a sunrise right now lol.  We'll get the pleasure of listening to all the perma-bears crow they are right, after they missed a five year  rally.   Big Grin  I'll be avoiding those articles and interviews.

I sold my JPS yesterday so the last of my high yield funds are gone.  I just don't feel like giving my gains back as rates rise.  I'll wade into the fire and buy something else soon.

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - ChadR - 01-21-2022

Added to JPM.

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - kered - 01-21-2022

Just bought some AAPL, AMZN, FB, and NVDA in my 1 and 2 year olds custodial accounts. Averaging down in both accounts

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - Kerim - 01-21-2022

Added a little FB (averaging down) and opened a new position with TROW.

Yeah!

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - cemanuel - 01-21-2022

(01-21-2022, 06:22 AM)cemanuel Wrote: I plan to sell BMY from my Roth after the market opens. Both AMD and NVDA have reached my purchase price - or the price I had for them a little while back. But with the market charts looking like they do I'll sit on the cash for a bit and see where the prices go.

I'm also looking at selling the "growthier" MFs from my 403b, including a Nasdaq Index Fund. It's something I hate the thought of doing - and never have done - but I'll be converting it to stocks some time after 2/19/22 when I do the IRA rollover and right now I'm thinking cash will retain value better for the next month.

NOTE: I suck at selling. I've been thinking of selling the funds since Tuesday. As I'm waiting until today, chances are that as usual the barn door will shut after all the critters already escaped and Monday will see a market turnaround. ; Of course I haven't sold yet - this really goes against my grain, even for 30 days.

The Roth is TR, as the IRA will be. The taxable account is for dividends and this market action to me is meaningless there as I'm no longer buying new companies and like what I own in it, other than T.

To fill in what I did. Sold BMY at $64.59, bought NVDA at $234, my "one more share" price. I'm going to just keep holding the funds through the rollover. I do think they'll drop more but I don't think it'll be by all that much. Earnings start rolling in next week which I expect will mute the move down. So sure - tech will probably go down another 5% or so but I think there's a good chance that a month from now it'll have hit the bottom and be back to at least where it is today.

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - NilesMike - 01-21-2022

Added more HD (small) around the open @ 348

(01-21-2022, 03:48 PM)cemanuel Wrote:

To fill in what I did. Sold BMY at $64.59, bought NVDA at $234, my "one more share" price. I'm going to just keep holding the funds through the rollover. I do think they'll drop more but I don't think it'll be by all that much. Earnings start rolling in next week which I expect will mute the move down. So sure - tech will probably go down another 5% or so but I think there's a good chance that a month from now it'll have hit the bottom and be back to at least where it is today.
If you are interested in guesses BMY will float around from 60-65 unless this market gets really rough.  I trimmed but still own a lot.  NVDA is a great company but far from cheap still so whether market capitulates for real or not will matter for that one.

I sold my DG earlier in the day.  Only up maybe 5-6% in six months but not a panic sell.  I'll revisit DG on a dip.  Added a couple shares of QQQ and 10 shares of MSFT which is enough to matter to me.  Saved the rest of the new cash for next week.   When the market gets skittish I always do a flight to quality.  This time I smelled it coming and was able to close out riskier positions while they were up in NOV-DEC.  Not pretending I ever get it perfect, but the only thing still in my port that makes me nervous is my solar and WAY too late to panic sell that.  If it gets really stupid I can shut my computer off and go play outside.  That was my Covid crash lesson.  Don't get caught with 6-8 tickers I can be scared out of.  Scared is not good investing.  Still have some cash so we'll see what opportunities lie ahead.

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - cemanuel - 01-22-2022

If I were a month older and had a big cash pool at my disposal, right now is when I'd begin buying. I'd try to deploy 10-20% of available funds every 2-3 days, set a certain introductory position buy amount and go with it.

But sometimes I get carried away into a paroxysm of purchasing. The "Oh, eff it" strategy of buying. Wink Funny thing is, that has usually worked out OK. Part of it is using charts for when but not what to buy. Being wrong on the when doesn't usually hurt too bad - it's screwing up the what that matters in the long run.

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - fenders53 - 01-22-2022

I am going to slow the buys down now. I'm invested enough to wait for down 3% markets or down 5% stock days. I don't think the great stocks will totally crash but they might, and much of the market already is full blown bear. Not just the junk. I've been the broken clock saying valuation matters here for a long time. It's kind of nice to get some last spring prices. It's still wonky when GOOGL and PEP have about the same PE.