Dividend Growth Forum
What I Am Buying Today. - Printable Version

+- Dividend Growth Forum (http://DividendGrowthForum.com)
+-- Forum: Dividend Growth Investing (http://DividendGrowthForum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=15)
+--- Forum: Dividend Growth Investing (http://DividendGrowthForum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Thread: What I Am Buying Today. (/showthread.php?tid=2014)

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - Mr1share - 09-17-2021

Why are so many people short term and worry about pennies or dollars? Too many people don't understand the concept of investing. In 3, 5, 10, 20 years the markets will be a lot higher as long as you buy quality names and leaders. I read so many saying a correction is coming. Sell, sell sell. It is impossible to time stocks so why bother worrying about today or tomorrow. Do you all have a crystal ball lol and listen to those bowhead's on CNBC Wink

All I know in 3 years or whatever most names that are the leaders and best on breed will be higher then they all right now. So I don't listen to the noise or if someone's doesn't like a name I own lol. Who gives $$$$ lol

I added LMT, GOOG, FDX, HRL, OHI, BMY and AMGN

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - fenders53 - 09-17-2021

(09-17-2021, 03:22 PM)Mr1share Wrote: Why are so many people short term and worry about pennies or dollars? Too many people don't understand the concept of investing. In 3, 5, 10, 20 years the markets will be a lot higher as long as you buy quality names and leaders. I read so many saying a correction is coming. Sell, sell sell. It is impossible to time stocks so why bother worrying about today or tomorrow. Do you all have a crystal ball lol and listen to those bowhead's on CNBC Wink  

All I know in 3 years or whatever most names that are the leaders and best on breed will be higher then they all right now. So I don't listen to the noise or if someone's doesn't like a name I own lol. Who gives $$$$ lol

For our entertainment purposes and it's not about pennies for sure. The pay is better than my day job. This is our trading thread for years.  Most of us have 90% invested and play with a small portion.  

The forum is light on serious investing threads so feel free to start one and a few of us will participate.

Avoid this thread if swing trading bothers you. It's OK to post any trades here of course.

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - rayray - 09-17-2021

(09-17-2021, 03:37 PM)fenders53 Wrote:
(09-17-2021, 03:22 PM)Mr1share Wrote: Why are so many people short term and worry about pennies or dollars? Too many people don't understand the concept of investing. In 3, 5, 10, 20 years the markets will be a lot higher as long as you buy quality names and leaders. I read so many saying a correction is coming. Sell, sell sell. It is impossible to time stocks so why bother worrying about today or tomorrow. Do you all have a crystal ball lol and listen to those bowhead's on CNBC Wink  

For our entertainment purposes and it's not about pennies for sure.  The pay is better than my day job.  This is our trading thread for years.  Most of us have 90% invested and play with a small portion.  

The forum is light on serious investing threads so feel free to start one and a few of us will participate.

Avoid this thread if swing trading bothers you.  It's OK to post any trades here of course.

i might be one of the more staunchest about NOT selling--i do but very rarely

i did unload an 'x' amount of mutual funds/etfs recently--but i put that in a different category then my individual holdings

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - rayray - 09-17-2021

(09-17-2021, 12:11 PM)fenders53 Wrote: Sold a put in SPWR-ABBV-XOM  (Bullish)

Disclaimer: Never copy my oil trades are you will likely lose money.  Smile  Anyone else have a sector or stock that repeatedly torments you?

oil and gilead have been tormenting me since 2014 Sad

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - fenders53 - 09-17-2021

(09-17-2021, 07:26 PM)rayray Wrote:
(09-17-2021, 12:11 PM)fenders53 Wrote: Sold a put in SPWR-ABBV-XOM  (Bullish)

Disclaimer: Never copy my oil trades are you will likely lose money.  Smile  Anyone else have a sector or stock that repeatedly torments you?

oil and gilead have been tormenting me since 2014 Sad
For 100 years you could just buy big oil and it worked out soon enough.  It's getting better as the companies got a hard lesson in excessive leverage.  (So did I).  There should be more stability now.

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - ken-do-nim - 09-18-2021

(09-17-2021, 12:41 PM)fenders53 Wrote:
(09-17-2021, 10:36 AM)ken-do-nim Wrote: ... and 4 RIO :-)

Iron ore is crashing pretty hard right now.  IMO the next few years should be good though if there is any sort of infrastructure package and automakers back to normal.  Much like lumber which set records and crashed hard this spring  Lumber mill stocks are stabilizing just a few months later.  Commodities are really tough so you need to follow the story even if the position is small this time.  Win or lose you need to have some idea why so your future larger bets are informed bets.  We can only buy and hold them for years when we buy the bottom, and that is not what we are doing here.  I said "we" because a lot of us have dipped our toe in the water way past the trough prices.  US Steel is building a new steel plant that won't even produce until next year.   That's a pretty good sign as the US steel industry died when I was a kid. Little investment since then industry wide other than some Nucor modernization. 

Anyway the point of all that was you will lose bad in the end if you just wing it with commodities.  I still keep the bets small and short-term unless I know I bought when there was widespread panic among stockholders.  It takes a recession to cause that.

Yeah iron ore is back to the price it was a year ago.  I really don't think industrialization is just going to halt because the Chinese government made emissions reductions promises.  It will be fascinating to watch what happens.  I figure you buy when it seems like everyone else is trying to sell, right?

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - fenders53 - 09-19-2021

You just have to avoid buying the commodity top and be gone before the music completely stops. It's just not the same as buying a typical DGI stock and holding for decades. The correct answer is you buy when it looks like half the sector is in trouble. Never looks like a good idea then because dividends are usually getting cut and everybody discussing them is a bag holder. The big money has probably been made already but it does seem like steel should be in demand for a few years. I timed lumber right but I've messed up commodities plenty of times. They are never easy because the trough can be very long.

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - crimsonghost747 - 09-20-2021

weekly regular buy: Added to NSC

a bigger move: Completely sold out of AMAT. These funds will most likely be used to buy up TXN in the coming days. Basically switching to a larger, more stable, and better div company.

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - fenders53 - 09-20-2021

(09-20-2021, 09:09 AM)crimsonghost747 Wrote: weekly regular buy: Added to NSC

a bigger move: Completely sold out of AMAT. These funds will most likely be used to buy up TXN in the coming days. Basically switching to a larger, more stable, and better div company.
Look like good moves to me.  The railroads never look quite cheap enough but this seems like a good place to add.  I sold my UNP last month when I was cleared out all my 10-20 share positions.  A few of them look good for re-entry with a more significant number of shares now.  

Market is nervous and I don't know where it's headed so sticking to quality.  Mostly just a few shares spread around.  A lot of stocks near my buy level but few actually there quite yet.  Not buying a 500pt DOW dip hasn't been a good plan for years, even if most of what we buy isn't directly related to the DOW.

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - ChadR - 09-20-2021

Added to STX.

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - ken-do-nim - 09-20-2021

I won't be looking until Sep 30th... (buries head in sand)

RE: What I Am Buying Today. - fenders53 - 09-20-2021

(09-20-2021, 10:41 AM)ken-do-nim Wrote: I won't be looking until Sep 30th... (buries head in sand)
That's boring lol.  Why the 30th?  Leverage is out of style at the moment.  By now we hope you knew it would happen.  If this goes like usual there should be a blow off hard sell within a few weeks.  It should settle down after that.  Or maybe Uncle Jerome makes us all feel better tomorrow? 

Potentially putting my solar positions higher where I want it the next six months.  Sold puts in ENPH, RUN and SPWR today.  If they dip a little more I'll have all the shares I want.  If not the option premiums are stupid good when the market is scared so that works too if I don't get exercised the next few weeks.