Dividend Growth Forum
What are your winners & losers today? - Printable Version

+- Dividend Growth Forum (http://DividendGrowthForum.com)
+-- Forum: Dividend Growth Investing (http://DividendGrowthForum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=15)
+--- Forum: Dividend Growth Investing (http://DividendGrowthForum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Thread: What are your winners & losers today? (/showthread.php?tid=1975)

RE: What are your winners & losers today? - ken-do-nim - 07-13-2021

Down day. Only TECL kept its head above water. It's been on a super tear, but even my second biggest position wasn't enough to keep the whole port afloat.

Of course, when I say my port's yield is 2.9% currently; that's not really accurate because it doesn't count any of my company stock. Sometime in 2022 with Morgan Stanley having bought E*Trade, supposedly all of my accounts will be combined. Then my yield sinks. My company stock has a dividend, but it's very low.

RE: What are your winners & losers today? - fenders53 - 07-14-2021

Only down a little today which surprises me. 65% of my stocks are red on a slightly up market day. Specs and solar got slammed. Oil didn't do so well either.

RE: What are your winners & losers today? - ken-do-nim - 07-15-2021

My poor ERX got slammed yesterday. I had been up 20% on it, now down to just 1%. Sniff sniff.

RE: What are your winners & losers today? - fenders53 - 07-15-2021

(07-15-2021, 05:37 AM)ken-do-nim Wrote: My poor ERX got slammed yesterday.  I had been up 20% on it, now down to just 1%.  Sniff sniff.

Be happy you don't own many spec stocks.  They are getting hammered like early spring.  No choice but to swing trade the stuff. I don't know where your ERX goes from here. My reasons are listed on the VBIN Oil thread.

(07-15-2021, 07:12 AM)fenders53 Wrote:
(07-15-2021, 05:37 AM)ken-do-nim Wrote: My poor ERX got slammed yesterday.  I had been up 20% on it, now down to just 1%.  Sniff sniff.

Be happy you don't own many spec stocks.  They are getting hammered like early spring.  No choice but to swing trade the stuff.  I don't know where your ERX goes from here.  My reasons are listed on the VBIN Oil thread.

I'm starting to feel stupid for splitting out part of TECL to diversify.

(07-15-2021, 07:50 AM)ken-do-nim Wrote:
(07-15-2021, 07:12 AM)fenders53 Wrote:

Be happy you don't own many spec stocks.  They are getting hammered like early spring.  No choice but to swing trade the stuff.  I don't know where your ERX goes from here.  My reasons are listed on the VBIN Oil thread.

I'm starting to feel stupid for splitting out part of TECL to diversify.
My hedges/diversification aren't working great at the moment either, but keep the purpose of it in mind.  You are near your port ATH right?  Diversification will tame the spikes some.   Would you rather be down 25%?  That is exactly what will happen to you at some point when your sector is ut of favor.  Oil will be fine soon enough, but we are at the end of the range where I wouldn't be triple leveraged.  At some point oil will just go sideways for months.  We'll make some money on dividends, you'll lose every month due to option decay.  Late last year was the time to leverage oil.

ERX is only double-leveraged, but point well taken.

(07-15-2021, 08:26 AM)ken-do-nim Wrote: ERX is only double-leveraged, but point well taken.

I am having a hard time imagining oil goes below 70 so you will likely get a bounce fairly soon.  Probably not today.

Yeah I don't think today I make any decisions.

I'm out all next week on vacation. Hitting Bryce Canyon, Zion, and Grand Canyon. Deciding whether to put Stops on any of my equities.

Happy chip stock day Ken. Smile That was pretty rough for a day the market wasn't awful.

I looked early afternoon and it was bad. Didn't look again, and I may not look until I get back from vacation. The last time I tried this approach it worked well; the market bounced right back and I spared myself needless angst.

Enjoy your trip. I am not expecting bad things for chips. Companies said months ago the chip shortage wouldn't be cured in a quarter. I was pretty sure the TSM move up was wishful thinking. Glad they didn't raise guidance.