Dividend Growth Forum
What are your winners & losers today? - Printable Version

+- Dividend Growth Forum (http://DividendGrowthForum.com)
+-- Forum: Dividend Growth Investing (http://DividendGrowthForum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=15)
+--- Forum: Dividend Growth Investing (http://DividendGrowthForum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Thread: What are your winners & losers today? (/showthread.php?tid=1975)

RE: What are your winners & losers today? - ken-do-nim - 06-19-2021

(06-18-2021, 09:41 PM)fenders53 Wrote:
(06-18-2021, 09:20 PM)ken-do-nim Wrote: I will say today would have been a lot worse if I was as leveraged as I used to be.  But I was still down 2.99% in my taxable and 2.71% in my ROTH; $8000 in all.  Ouchies!!!
You are still about 2X beta the market.  That's works on a run but not where I can be this close to retirement.  I could see a few more down days but all the FED did is threaten and that will wear off when earning come in hot which is highly likely.

Averaging out to 2x now sounds about right, though I had no shortage of regular stocks down 2%+ on Friday.

But yeah, all they did was mention things might change and the market went into a tizzy.  Has to be ephemeral.  But the inflation concern seems well-founded.

RE: What are your winners & losers today? - fenders53 - 06-20-2021

(06-19-2021, 07:00 PM)ken-do-nim Wrote:
(06-18-2021, 09:41 PM)fenders53 Wrote:
(06-18-2021, 09:20 PM)ken-do-nim Wrote: I will say today would have been a lot worse if I was as leveraged as I used to be.  But I was still down 2.99% in my taxable and 2.71% in my ROTH; $8000 in all.  Ouchies!!!
You are still about 2X beta the market.  That's works on a run but not where I can be this close to retirement.  I could see a few more down days but all the FED did is threaten and that will wear off when earning come in hot which is highly likely.

Averaging out to 2x now sounds about right, though I had no shortage of regular stocks down 2%+ on Friday.

But yeah, all they did was mention things might change and the market went into a tizzy.  Has to be ephemeral.  But the inflation concern seems well-founded.
Yes inflation at some level appears to be real.  The market will be processing this for a long time.  Way too many moving parts coming out of pandemic.  FED knows if they make any sudden moves they'll end up being wrong.

RE: What are your winners & losers today? - ken-do-nim - 06-21-2021

Whiplash! Did not make back everything I lost Friday, but a great day nonetheless.

In the taxable, DFEN, FAS, and RETL led the way. Losers were OXLC, TSM, and ABNB. TSM I'm not giving up on by any means, but all my other semi stocks/funds were up.

In the ROTH, it was ERX, RETL, and DRN. The only down stock was NVDA. Also, every single stock/fund in the ROTH is now profitable; yay! Nice to see that green. In comparison, the taxable has a bunch of recent acquisitions that haven't taken off yet.

RE: What are your winners & losers today? - fenders53 - 06-21-2021

VSTO is rocking again. Up over 5% today and it was up Friday too. Market knows they are going to shred earnings again. Oil rebound and most everything I touched Friday was a good move. Solar was due to cool off. If it pulls back much I'll be back to nibbling again.

I have very little on my watchlist that I consider an exceptional buy. Practically nothing would be more accurate without a pullback.

RE: What are your winners & losers today? - ken-do-nim - 06-22-2021

What a nice day on the market. Nothing too crazy, just most of my equities are up. TTD Trade Desk was the biggest gainer; doing great after the split.

RE: What are your winners & losers today? - fenders53 - 06-23-2021

Slow climb back to ATH. I would need several days like Monday to be back there. Yesterday was flattish. I hold enough UTEs to temper my runs whenever they are flat or down. I have to accept that comes with the usually very low port volatility feature.

RE: What are your winners & losers today? - ken-do-nim - 06-23-2021

(06-23-2021, 07:56 AM)fenders53 Wrote: Slow climb back to ATH.  I would need several days like Monday to be back there.  Yesterday was flattish.  I hold enough UTEs to temper my runs whenever they are flat or down.  I have to accept that comes with the usually very low port volatility feature.

I'm $10k away myself, so yeah another couple Mondays would do it.  If I hadn't put that STOP on WEBL a few weeks back I'd be a lot closer it has skyrocketed since then, but I've accepted that due to my monthly budget contraints I really can't afford much of my taxable account being in pure growth.  I'm supplementing my income with the dividends now, and probably will be for the next few years, maybe all the way until child support payments end.

Edit: and I did put WEBL back in my ROTH.

RE: What are your winners & losers today? - fenders53 - 06-23-2021

(06-23-2021, 08:31 AM)ken-do-nim Wrote:
(06-23-2021, 07:56 AM)fenders53 Wrote: Slow climb back to ATH.  I would need several days like Monday to be back there.  Yesterday was flattish.  I hold enough UTEs to temper my runs whenever they are flat or down.  I have to accept that comes with the usually very low port volatility feature.

I'm $10k away myself, so yeah another couple Mondays would do it.  If I hadn't put that STOP on WEBL a few weeks back I'd be a lot closer it has skyrocketed since then, but I've accepted that due to my monthly budget contraints I really can't afford much of my taxable account being in pure growth.  I'm supplementing my income with the dividends now, and probably will be for the next few years, maybe all the way until child support payments end.

Over trading will hurt you in a taxable account.  I only have one of those and I will need to pick my tax year carefully to get my money out of that account for a retirement toy.  Like a year when I only work a couple months at HD or have some sort of tax credit.  You gotta keep most of your realized gains in a taxable long term.

(06-23-2021, 08:43 AM)fenders53 Wrote:
(06-23-2021, 08:31 AM)ken-do-nim Wrote:

Over trading will hurt you in a taxable account.  I only have one of those and I will need to pick my tax year carefully to get my money out of that account for a retirement toy.  Like a year when I only work a couple months at HD or have some sort of tax credit.  You gotta keep most of your realized gains in a taxable long term.

All of my recent sales in the taxable, WEBL included, have been at a loss.  I've lowered my tax implication from $8k to $6.8k lol.

Flat day today overall, but I'm noticing an increasing amount of my stocks slipping into the red. Part of that is due to poor timing on additional purchases, but the reality is many of them are sinking. Remember when it was just TSM and ORC? Now it's 11 of them (and TSM pulled itself out of the red today), including IBM and WEC. Only 3 are down over 1.5% though: BTI, KMI, and ORC.

RE: What are your winners & losers today? - ken-do-nim - 06-24-2021

Another absolutely lovely day. Taxable up 1.58%, ROTH up 2.69%; now just $4k from my ATH.

TTD ended the day up 16.04%. I doubt that record will ever be broken.

ORC was the day's loser, down 1.28%. The 14.26% yield is nice, but I'm down 6.24% now on it, so it's more like an 8% yield. Well, they haven't cut the dividend (yet), so that's good. Still, I may exit this one. Its peer OXLC which at one point had an identical yield has gone in the opposite direction, heading up and I've made an 11% gain in addition to the 11% yield, so...

Edit: I've bought & sold ORC a zillion times in the last 5 years, so pay no attention to me; I always get lured back in.

RE: What are your winners & losers today? - fenders53 - 06-24-2021

VSTO is my only stock that moved much at all today up 3%. Most of my sectors are pretty flat for now.