Dividend Growth Forum
The Baseball Thread!!! - Printable Version

+- Dividend Growth Forum (http://DividendGrowthForum.com)
+-- Forum: Other Dividend Growth Forum Stuff (http://DividendGrowthForum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=18)
+--- Forum: Off Topic (http://DividendGrowthForum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Thread: The Baseball Thread!!! (/showthread.php?tid=1928)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

RE: The Baseball Thread!!! - NilesMike - 06-14-2021

Carlos Rodon was one blown called strike away from possibly throwing his 2nd no hitter of the season.

RE: The Baseball Thread!!! - fenders53 - 06-14-2021

White Sox are looking tough. That's who I will be cheering for before long.

RE: The Baseball Thread!!! - ken-do-nim - 06-20-2021

(06-14-2021, 12:14 PM)ken-do-nim Wrote: Yeah, "Kike" Hernandez is in his 8th season, and his lifetime batting average is .239, his lifetime on-base just .310; Cora what are you thinking?  Lifetime stolen bases is only 13 so that's not it either.  He should be hitting 9th if he has to hit at all.

Except ... Dalbec our first baseman is hitting .198, our left fielder finally got sent down but had been hitting .179, our utility infielder is hitting .188, & our utility outfielder is hitting .104.

Amazingly, the team batting average is a normal .254 thanks to the core but that just means if the 2-5 batters can't score runs the rest of the lineup is dead.

My apologies to disparaging Bobby Dalbec.  He's up to .214 now after a heroic 3 for 3 outing yesterday.  And it looks like Hernandez got dropped from the leadoff spot.

RE: The Baseball Thread!!! - ken-do-nim - 06-23-2021

Seems like a good day to check the standings.

My Red Sox - 1st place, woohoo!
Chad's Rangers - last place by 19 games. Ouch.
Mike's White Sox - 1st place!
Fender's Twins - tied for last place, 12 games out. Not impossible to reach a wild card.

Anybody else?

RE: The Baseball Thread!!! - Otter - 06-23-2021

(06-23-2021, 08:10 AM)ken-do-nim Wrote: Seems like a good day to check the standings.

Fender's Twins - tied for last place, 12 games out.  Not impossible to reach a wild card.

Anybody else?

To repurpose an old Oilers jingle: "Houston Astros, Houston Astros, Houston Astros Number 1!"

Trash cans sold separately. All World Series wins are final.

RE: The Baseball Thread!!! - ken-do-nim - 06-23-2021

divmenow wrote:

> How about my Stros? 9 in a row now baby!!
>
> How the Sox are still in first is crazy. They have no pitching. Pivetta, Richards and Perez are like specs,and I’m not buying them at all Big Grin

I have to reluctantly agree. It looks like Richards & Perez were masters of the "sticky substance" method of pitching, and since it has been regulated now, they are getting slammed. Pivetta I'm more hopeful for; he really has had just one bad game since the sticky ban was announced. E-Rod started getting hit before the ban was announced. The reason the Sox are back in first place is due to their amazing hitting and surprisingly tight bullpen. Ever since they dropped E Hernandez from the leadoff spot, their runs scored has improved. Guess they listened to me. No actually Bobby Dalbec heating up has played a big part, and Renfroe has become a reliable contributor too.

But you are right, the starting pitching isn't very good at this point, and we won't stay in 1st for long with that. The wildcard is of course Chris Sale. No idea when he returns. He certainly doesn't need sticky substances to pitch well.

I've never cared about the Mets, but actively seek out opportunities to watch deGrom play. Can't think of any Pitcher who has ever done anything remotely close between pitching and hitting. Puts even Mike Hampton's best years to shame.

RE: The Baseball Thread!!! - fenders53 - 06-23-2021

Better go to MLB.com for about two minutes and catch up on pitchers than can hit. Shohei Ohtani. You won't have trouble finding it from there. Above average pitcher, might hit 40HRs this year.

(06-23-2021, 11:14 AM)fenders53 Wrote: Better go to MLB.com for about two minutes and catch up on pitchers than can hit.  Shohei Ohtani.  You won't have trouble finding it from there.  Above average pitcher, might hit 40HRs this year.

Yeah, but where's his 0.5 ERA?

RE: The Baseball Thread!!! - fenders53 - 06-23-2021

(06-23-2021, 11:25 AM)Otter Wrote:
(06-23-2021, 11:14 AM)fenders53 Wrote: Better go to MLB.com for about two minutes and catch up on pitchers than can hit.  Shohei Ohtani.  You won't have trouble finding it from there.  Above average pitcher, might hit 40HRs this year.

Yeah, but where's his 0.5 ERA?

Where are Degrom's Babe Ruth HRs?

They are both having incredible seasons. Not an either or thing this year.

RE: The Baseball Thread!!! - divmenow - 06-23-2021

(06-23-2021, 08:10 AM)ken-do-nim Wrote: Seems like a good day to check the standings.

Fender's Twins - tied for last place, 12 games out.  Not impossible to reach a wild card.

Anybody else?

You forgot to add My Astros who have won 9 in a row and have the best record in the AL now  Big Grin

RE: The Baseball Thread!!! - divmenow - 06-23-2021

I drafted him in round 21 in my 17 year old keeper league. No one wanted him  Big Grin

I wont keep him only because I have Degrom, Bregman, Tatis, Sosa and Cole as my 5 keepers lol