Dividend Growth Forum
Big Tech - Printable Version

+- Dividend Growth Forum (http://DividendGrowthForum.com)
+-- Forum: Dividend Growth Investing (http://DividendGrowthForum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=15)
+--- Forum: Individual Dividend Growth Stocks (http://DividendGrowthForum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=35)
+--- Thread: Big Tech (/showthread.php?tid=1926)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: Big Tech - fenders53 - 08-02-2020

(08-01-2020, 11:19 PM)rayray Wrote:
(08-01-2020, 04:22 PM)fenders53 Wrote:
(08-01-2020, 07:42 AM)rayray Wrote: I own AAPL, AMZN, NVDA, QCOM, CSCO and SHOP

I'll sink with all of them, not selling. Not buying either, not at this time.
Looks like a pretty good buy and hold tech stable to me.

Yea, I try not to buy anything I'd feel uncomfortable owning for a very long time. SHOP, it wasn't a spec buy more so of a dollar cost average buy. I read about the company, seen some interviews with the CEO/founder, really liked him and did more research. The research told me the company was overvalued at 85, I was thinking okay I like the company so much but don't want to forget about it (it wasn't written about like it is now) so I bought 25 shares thinking I'd buy more at 30 or 35 or so...yea that never happened! 

I forgot.....I do own AVGO also
Good move on SHOP.  That's what you have to do if you are looking for the next 10 bagger.  Or maybe I am wrong and AAPL is a $20T company in five years.  Big Grin

RE: Big Tech - EricL - 08-17-2020

NVDA is up 5.75% and just broke a $300B market cap. Now trades at nearly 30X sales and a 60 PE.

Bought in Feb and Apr of last year in my trading account and am now sitting on a near-triple in price.

What a beast.

RE: Big Tech - fenders53 - 08-18-2020

That's 10% income growth thingie required some gymnastics this year, but it's good you are sticking to the plan. You can't just stare at WFC and ROSS for years hoping. We can't win all our trades, but your moves were rational. It's possible you would have more money ten years from now if you never trimmed, but the stated goal of the port would be dead. Those high fliers can grow the Div at only 1-3% if choose, and get by with it for many years.

Thanks for sharing the article. Those Fastgraph valuations get scarier every quarter.

RE: Big Tech - EricL - 08-21-2020

(08-18-2020, 08:12 AM)fenders53 Wrote: That's 10% income growth thingie required some gymnastics this year, but it's good you are sticking to the plan.  You can't just stare at WFC and ROSS for years hoping.  We can't win all our trades, but your moves were rational.  It's possible you would have more money ten years from now if you never trimmed, but the stated goal of the port would be dead.  Those high fliers can grow the Div at only 1-3% if choose, and get by with it for many years.    

Thanks for sharing the article.  Those Fastgraph valuations get scarier every quarter.

Yes, it's getting quite scary on a lot of the big gainers. Just seems there is an endless supply of money coming in and bidding them up. If you have growth, the market wants you.

It's tough to see stocks I trim go higher, but I'm trying to stay focused on my goals and not be too greedy with the big gainers. When you have stocks with high single digit or low teens growth sitting at PE's now approaching 40, I'm struggling to see how they will do well over the next five years.

Being able to realize those gains to add to some lighter weight positions and lock in higher yields seems like an attractive thing to do, but it's certainly not looking very smart so far.

I wasn't investing during the 99'-00' tech bubble, but I imagine there were plenty asking the same questions back then.

Slow day for Apple, only up 2% today.  Rolleyes

RE: Big Tech - divmenow - 08-21-2020

(08-21-2020, 09:07 AM)EricL Wrote: Slow day for Apple, only up 2% today.  Rolleyes

Looks like it may hit $500 before it splits on the 31st. No complaints here  Big Grin

RE: Big Tech - fenders53 - 08-21-2020

(08-21-2020, 08:27 AM)EricL Wrote:
(08-18-2020, 08:12 AM)fenders53 Wrote: That's 10% income growth thingie required some gymnastics this year, but it's good you are sticking to the plan.  You can't just stare at WFC and ROSS for years hoping.  We can't win all our trades, but your moves were rational.  It's possible you would have more money ten years from now if you never trimmed, but the stated goal of the port would be dead.  Those high fliers can grow the Div at only 1-3% if choose, and get by with it for many years.    

Thanks for sharing the article.  Those Fastgraph valuations get scarier every quarter.

Yes, it's getting quite scary on a lot of the big gainers. Just seems there is an endless supply of money coming in and bidding them up. If you have growth, the market wants you.

It's tough to see stocks I trim go higher, but I'm trying to stay focused on my goals and not be too greedy with the big gainers. When you have stocks with high single digit or low teens growth sitting at PE's now approaching 40, I'm struggling to see how they will do well over the next five years.

Being able to realize those gains to add to some lighter weight positions and lock in higher yields seems like an attractive thing to do, but it's certainly not looking very smart so far.

I wasn't investing during the 99'-00' tech bubble, but I imagine there were plenty asking the same questions back then.
The tech bubble years were fascinating in retrospect.  Better internet and recently discounted commissioned trades.  The internet gained you access to internet forum "experts".  Sound familiar yet?  Smile  It really wasn't so much the greed of the masses, IMO just a general ignorance of the importance of stock valuations in the long-term.  Most were not asking the valuation questions.  They were tired of listening to the taxi cab driver bragging his stock port gains were exceeding his salary lol.  It really was like that.  Aristocrat type stocks did run up too, but they didn't have the "story".  Had they trimmed their high fliers like you are doing, they would have been the winners in the end. It only took a few years.  Dummies like Mark Cuban did exactly that lol.  

Anyway this is a risk reward thing.  You are comfortable with some reasonable annual gain for your port, or you aren't.

(08-21-2020, 09:17 AM)divmenow Wrote:
(08-21-2020, 09:07 AM)EricL Wrote: Slow day for Apple, only up 2% today.  Rolleyes

Looks like it may hit $500 before it splits on the 31st. No complaints here  Big Grin

Up 3% now to $487.

Certainly looks like $500 is a given at this point. It's just another $55.6B in market cap is all. No big deal, right?

(08-21-2020, 09:33 AM)fenders53 Wrote: Anyway this is a risk reward thing.  You are comfortable with some reasonable annual gain for your port, or you aren't.

The investment club I am in has been holding AAPL since $65, and it's now nearly 40% of the portfolio.

Makes it a bit easier to trim in my dividend portfolio when I know I still get upside from it elsewhere.

RE: Big Tech - fenders53 - 08-21-2020

(08-21-2020, 09:48 AM)EricL Wrote:
(08-21-2020, 09:33 AM)fenders53 Wrote: Anyway this is a risk reward thing.  You are comfortable with some reasonable annual gain for your port, or you aren't.

The investment club I am in has been holding AAPL since $65, and it's now nearly 40% of the portfolio.

Makes it a bit easier to trim in my dividend portfolio when I know I still get upside from it elsewhere.
The distinction is trimming vs cashing out.  I held a huge position in the SPY for decades.  Not like I completely missed out on AAPL,AMZN,MSFT.  I was OK being a little underweight in those stocks on the side.  Those stocks are most of the reason the SPY is up the past few years.

(08-21-2020, 09:46 AM)EricL Wrote:
(08-21-2020, 09:17 AM)divmenow Wrote:

Up 3% now to $487.

Certainly looks like $500 is a given at this point. It's just another $55.6B in market cap is all. No big deal, right?

4% now. Maybe it will hit $500 today?

RE: Big Tech - EricL - 09-02-2020

A picture of AAPL and NVDA again in pre-market.

[attachment=244]