Dividend Growth Forum
Newbie investor - Printable Version

+- Dividend Growth Forum (http://DividendGrowthForum.com)
+-- Forum: Other Dividend Growth Forum Stuff (http://DividendGrowthForum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=18)
+--- Forum: Introduce Yourself (http://DividendGrowthForum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+--- Thread: Newbie investor (/showthread.php?tid=1596)

Newbie investor - blkflm6888 - 10-21-2016

Hello all,
First about myself im 27 with steady income and job security. I noticed i have been hoarding cash in various bank accounts with no benefit or purpose. Its not much but i feel its enough to start without major disadvantages. So i took 1K usd and opened a motif account(9.95 per motif) with two portfolios one dividend focused. Now i took 1k usd and opened a tradeking account(4.95 per w/first $500 free) to have a 8-12 stock portfolio filled with good $10-30 dollar dividend stocks consisting of the following:
24% - ETFs
20% - 5/10 years aristocrat
15% - Internationals
15% - Banks
10% - Reits
8% - IPO or Young promising
8% - High Risk High Reward

I have been doing countless research but so many conflicting strategies and such. I just want a growing portfolio to assist with the old and retired life. Any tips or words of advice greatly appreciated. Thanks

Sent from my SCV32 using Tapatalk

RE: Newbie investor - crimsonghost747 - 10-22-2016

Hi and welcome. Glad to have more and more relatively young people join us!

I think you're off to a great start, just keep pouring in small amounts each month and I'm sure that the portfolio and your income will grow with time.

For some advice: You're young and, as far as I understand, the amounts are relatively small so I can see why you like to have some more risky ones there. However IPO/Young promising pretty much sounds exactly like high risk, high reward... so essentially you've got around 16% of your investment in quite risky areas. It sounds like a pretty high percentage to me, especially since often companies like that don't really have a great history of a stable and rising dividends... that's if they pay a dividend at all.

And since you have 30+ years until retirement, I think you could pretty easily reach your goal with a little less risk.

RE: Newbie investor - blkflm6888 - 10-22-2016

Thanks sir i just spent my entire day combing through my list of stocks/etf and i think i have my foundation set at 11 not many HRHR stocks in my opinion but i will post my portfolio in the forum next week after buys

RE: Newbie investor - crimsonghost747 - 10-22-2016

Feel free to post it now. Wink

RE: Newbie investor - blkflm6888 - 10-22-2016

Here goes nothing draft #1:
HSBC, CSCO, AFSI, DIV, ROL, BAC, SIR, LVL, RPD, CARA, & UBP

RE: Newbie investor - DividendDragon - 10-23-2016

(10-22-2016, 08:03 AM)blkflm6888 Wrote: Here goes nothing draft #1:
HSBC, CSCO, AFSI, DIV, ROL, BAC, SIR, LVL, RPD, CARA, & UBP

I'm only familiar with HSBC here and think it's a good buy.
If I were seeking to add more capital at this point I feel LLOY is at a more attractive valuation (but with added risk).

Take a look at dividend growth stocks such as; MCD, JNJ, MO, DIS, which I feel are at decent valuations right now although not screaming buys.

What country are you from? If you're European you might want to consider;
NXT,WTB

If you fancy some risk try: BVIC,GRG, EZJ with EZJ being very high risk/reward.

Lewys

RE: Newbie investor - blkflm6888 - 10-23-2016

Thank-you dividenddrangon im american. Being young and capital is not overflowing i cant really aim for bluechips. My strategy is to go for contenders and work from there.

RE: Newbie investor - Kerim - 10-23-2016

Welcome blkflm!

RE: Newbie investor - Dividend Watcher - 10-25-2016

Welcome, 6888. Looking forward to your input.

RE: Newbie investor - blkflm6888 - 10-26-2016

Thank you all