Dividend Growth Forum
Fortune's Stock Picks Suck - Printable Version

+- Dividend Growth Forum (http://DividendGrowthForum.com)
+-- Forum: Other Dividend Growth Forum Stuff (http://DividendGrowthForum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=18)
+--- Forum: Off Topic (http://DividendGrowthForum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Thread: Fortune's Stock Picks Suck (/showthread.php?tid=1434)

Fortune's Stock Picks Suck - Kerim - 12-29-2015

Fortune admits it sucks at picking stocks, touts its 2016 picks.

Regarding the 2015 picks:

Quote:So how’d we do? Let’s just say there are a few picks we wish we could take back. For the year through Dec. 4 (the anniversary of the date our picks went live last year on Fortune.com), our portfolio was down 7.1%, while the S&P 500 was up 0.9%. (Our math includes dividends and assumes an investment of equal amounts of money in each of our 20 categories.)

RE: Fortune's Stock Picks Suck - Dividend Watcher - 12-29-2015

For those who don't want to slog through the articles and find the link, here's Fortune's picks for 2016.

Stocks:

Transports / Airlines
Delta Airlines (DAL)
Virgin America (VA)

Healthcare
Merck (MRK)
Biogen (BIIB)

Turnarounds/Comebacks
DuPont (DD)
Volkswagen (VLKAY)
Wynn Resorts (WYNN)

Finance
Charles Schwab (SCHW)
Capital One (COF)

Energy
Exxon Mobil (XOM)
TransCanada (TRP)

Technology
Alphabet (GOOG)
Microsoft (MSFT)

ETFs:

U.S. Global Jets ETF (JETS)
Health Care Select SPDR (XLV)
SPDR S&P Bank ETF (KBE)

The only ones that interest me are BIIB, MSFT and XOM despite my affection for out-of-favor, beaten-down stocks.

I own MSFT as long as they keep those delicious dividend hikes coming. Would like to add XOM to mine or my wife's portfolio someday. Would also add BIIB here but I/we already own enough ABBV/JNJ/GILD/AMGN and it doesn't even pay a dividend. Angry

RE: Fortune's Stock Picks Suck - rayray - 12-30-2015

I have been thinking about what companies to invest in the coming year--so far I've been looking into Magna Int'l, Donaldson Co., and Qualcom. I will most likely only add 2 new companies within my ROTH and reinvest the rest of the dollars into existing holdings. ADM is something I'm considering for my brokerage account as a new investment, otherwise not sure, most likely building up my current holdings. Hard to say, I like keeping overall investment percentages in the 2 to 3% range, my KMI investment really had no bearing on my portfolio. In fact, I would like to see KMI take another hit before adding more dollars because I still believe in the business.

Kerim, I was wondering why you posted this link in the "Off Topic" section?

RE: Fortune's Stock Picks Suck - Kerim - 12-31-2015

(12-30-2015, 09:47 PM)rayray Wrote: Kerim, I was wondering why you posted this link in the "Off Topic" section?

I was thinking to put it in the "individual stocks" section, but then I guess I figured that the article had nothing to do with DG stocks specifically... It just didn't seem to fit neatly anywhere. Happy to move it there, though, if you disagree.