Dividend Growth Forum
Shopping List - Printable Version

+- Dividend Growth Forum (http://DividendGrowthForum.com)
+-- Forum: Dividend Growth Investing (http://DividendGrowthForum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=15)
+--- Forum: Individual Dividend Growth Stocks (http://DividendGrowthForum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=35)
+--- Thread: Shopping List (/showthread.php?tid=1343)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

RE: Shopping List - DividendGarden - 02-09-2016

DIS below $90 today.

RE: Shopping List - Rasec - 02-09-2016

(02-09-2016, 04:45 AM)gymchamp Wrote: My question for you Rasec is since you had such better prices Monday than Friday did you pull the trigger?!

To be honest I didn't, I still think prices will get more favorable in the short term. I could be wrong... I'm often wrong... but yields in these positions are still so low that I'm not in a rush to add them.

RE: Shopping List - gymchamp - 02-09-2016

(02-09-2016, 01:02 PM)Rasec Wrote:
(02-09-2016, 04:45 AM)gymchamp Wrote: My question for you Rasec is since you had such better prices Monday than Friday did you pull the trigger?!

To be honest I didn't, I still think prices will get more favorable in the short term. I could be wrong... I'm often wrong... but yields in these positions are still so low that I'm not in a rush to add them.

lol heard that story before Tongue You sounded pretty excited Friday...and even more so Monday. Just seems like a common theme in every forum I read. Everyone prays for these great stocks to drop. But when they finally do no one ever pulls the trigger always rationalized by hoping to get a better price, no rush, etc. and then kick themselves later when they miss an opportunity. Obviously you have to do what's right for you and this is not a knock on you specifically just seems super common.

True you may get better prices on SBUX, NKE, V but waiting because prices may go lower seems like trying to time the market. Feel like people are better off just buying great stocks on dips and holding forever. All those stocks are off quite a bit from their highs and if they do drop more it's just an opportunity to add even more Big Grin

Disney down 6% after hours after crushing earnings. Curious who's backing up the truck and who's waiting because maybe "prices will get more favorable in the short term" Wink

RE: Shopping List - Rasec - 02-09-2016

I completely understand your angle, in my personal case it has more to do with the cycles of being cash rich/poor. When I have surplus of cash available I go directly to buy the best thing I can find without thinking too much about it, when I'm cash short I tend to be more patient, rationalize and wait, maybe I'm luck and some of my GTC will hit. I assume most people will do the same.

Right now, I'm waiting for the Q4 bonus to hit and then I'll be "cash rich" again, that'll allow me to go in with more confidence. Sometime in April, I'll have to pay the IRS some money and I'll be cash short again, making me more rational. It goes in cycles!

Am I happy I didn't buy V, SBUX and NKE? Yes I am, because now I might re-think and go ACD on my REITs that fell by ~12% today!

RE: Shopping List - Caversham - 02-09-2016

(02-09-2016, 06:03 PM)gymchamp Wrote: lol heard that story before Tongue You sounded pretty excited Friday...and even more so Monday. Just seems like a common theme in every forum I read. Everyone prays for these great stocks to drop. But when they finally do no one ever pulls the trigger always rationalized by hoping to get a better price, no rush, etc. and then kick themselves later when they miss an opportunity. Obviously you have to do what's right for you and this is not a knock on you specifically just seems super common.

True you may get better prices on SBUX, NKE, V but waiting because prices may go lower seems like trying to time the market. Feel like people are better off just buying great stocks on dips and holding forever. All those stocks are off quite a bit from their highs and if they do drop more it's just an opportunity to add even more Big Grin

Disney down 6% after hours after crushing earnings. Curious who's backing up the truck and who's waiting because maybe "prices will get more favorable in the short term" Wink

Each company on your watchlist should have a buy price (ie the company is eligible for purchase if it is trading at or lower than its buy price). The only time you can adjust the buy price is after earnings or a major news event. This approach takes some emotion out of the equation. The only time I generally break from this approach is if earnings are imminent and the company is hovering right around the buy price (I'm currently going through this issue with VTR and OHI).

The problem with the stocks mentioned (SBUX, NKE, V) is that they are still ridiculously overvalued. NKE and SBUX would need to fall 30-35%, and V 7% before I'd become interested in them. I'm interested in DIS at ~$83-$84, which it could (and hopefully will) hit soon.

RE: Shopping List - DividendGarden - 02-11-2016

Lots of things on sale today. BAC at $11.30, their problems are behind them and they are very profitable now. DIS below $88, hello? What else are you watching today?

RE: Shopping List - Caversham - 02-11-2016

Anyone buying BA (Boeing)? Down 10% on potential SEC investigation.

RE: Shopping List - crimsonghost747 - 02-11-2016

RTN is down a lot. But still quite expensive, I'll start thinking about it more at around $115.
HON and JNJ are both hovering around $100... neither of them is badly priced right there.
Canadian banks starting to look pretty cheap too.

Those are the ones I'm looking at the moment. I don't really have any extra cash but... that hasn't stopped me before. :p

RE: Shopping List - divmenow - 02-11-2016

(02-11-2016, 03:25 PM)crimsonghost747 Wrote: RTN is down a lot. But still quite expensive, I'll start thinking about it more at around $115.
HON and JNJ are both hovering around $100... neither of them is badly priced right there.
Canadian banks starting to look pretty cheap too.

Those are the ones I'm looking at the moment. I don't really have any extra cash but... that hasn't stopped me before. :p

Only a few stock are making my watch list these days.  LOW, PM, MSFT, GIS VLO, and RAI, . I'm staying away from Reits and Banks. I think they are in for a rough 2016 even with the selloff. I'm in favor of good brand names with a strong balance sheet.

RE: Shopping List - EricL - 02-11-2016

Been looking closely at CVS and BDX. Thinking about selling out of my MNK position into something a little less speculative.

RE: Shopping List - Roadmap2Retire - 02-11-2016

Ive started turning my focus onto BDX lately....I dont want to limit myself to pharma companies in the healthcare sector...so I am looking at some of the other options available in various subsectors. BDX really stands out and appears unique -- although I havent completed my research.

RE: Shopping List - EricL - 02-11-2016

(02-11-2016, 06:10 PM)Roadmap2Retire Wrote: Ive started turning my focus onto BDX lately....I dont want to limit myself to pharma companies in the healthcare sector...so I am looking at some of the other options available in various subsectors. BDX really stands out and appears unique -- although I havent completed my research.

Those are my exact reasons for focusing on BDX. I already own ABBV, GILD, and AMGN from the pharma companies and am looking to diversify a bit.

I've considered ANTM and UNH as well, but am a bit worried about legislative risk should Obamacare be repealed or changed.

I'd also like to add CVS to pair with my WBA, but that is technically considered a staple rather than a health care stock.

SYK also is interesting, but isn't at quite the same value as the other two.