Dividend Growth Forum
Portfolio management - Printable Version

+- Dividend Growth Forum (http://DividendGrowthForum.com)
+-- Forum: Dividend Growth Investing (http://DividendGrowthForum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=15)
+--- Forum: Dividend Growth Investing (http://DividendGrowthForum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Thread: Portfolio management (/showthread.php?tid=1290)

Pages: 1 2

Portfolio management - Amos - 08-14-2015

As a newbie to DGI and an excited developer, I started working on a portfolio manager that will be dividend (growth) oriented.

I used several apps to see what's going on and all in all, they all talk market value rather than dividends. When reading more about it, I noticed that most people eventually use Excel sheets and it seems no one really manage his portfolio the same as another person resulting in a lot of Excel sheets.

Is it really that individual?
Is there really no app/application/site that knows how to manage portfolios?

I already started working on developing such an application and now it is based on Dave Fish's list but as time goes by, I understand that it needs to have more sources and not just that list.

Are you using Dave Fish's list only or you get your info/stocks elsewhere?
What do you expect from a decent portfolio manager that will pull you out of your Excel sheet and will make you use such an app?

Thanks

RE: Portfolio management - rapidacid - 08-14-2015

I should sticky this.

www.stockrover.com

It has nearly anything you could want. Don't reinvent the wheel.

RE: Portfolio management - Amos - 08-14-2015

(08-14-2015, 08:20 AM)rapidacid Wrote: I should sticky this.

www.stockrover.com

By reading the marketing text, it does seem like a royal solution but the price is a bit high for a beginner like me (250$/y), I guess some will say it's cheap. I will look more into the free plan so thanks for the tip. Any other sites/applications/apps?

EDIT: I started playing with it and because it gives so much, it is a bit overwhelming. I admit it scares away and doesn't look very user friendly, at least not for beginners. I tried the screener for dividend growth but it doesn't give me all the stocks (maybe because I'm in free plan) and the criteria is also not that flexible.

(08-14-2015, 12:02 PM)Amos Wrote: By reading the marketing text, it does seem like a royal solution but the price is a bit high for a beginner like me (250$/y), I guess some will say it's cheap. I will look more into the free plan so thanks for the tip. Any other sites/applications/apps?

EDIT: I started playing with it and because it gives so much, it is a bit overwhelming. I admit it scares away and doesn't look very user friendly, at least not for beginners. I tried the screener for dividend growth but it doesn't give me all the stocks (maybe because I'm in free plan) and the criteria is also not that flexible.

The criteria isn't flexible? You can literally screen on any field for any value ...

[Image: GKdeqDf.png]

If a tool like this is too "overwhelming" then you should definitely stick to spreadsheets

My bad, it is flexible. The thing is, in basic plan I can see only 100 stocks after screening and I don't have div growth for more than 5 years. Also I didn't find a column for recorded years of dividend growth. Does it worth 250$ a year? maybe.

By overwhelming I meant it feels like a 5kg hammer to kill a fly, I didn't mean to offend anyone, I'm the newbie here.

RE: Portfolio management - earthtodan - 08-14-2015

www.stockrover.com

Yeah, but, then it's your own wheel. Wink

(08-14-2015, 01:51 PM)earthtodan Wrote:

www.stockrover.com

Yeah, but, then it's your own wheel. Wink

Yap Smile I was wondering how come there are so many people using different Excel wheels... oops, sheets to manage their portfolios.

(08-14-2015, 01:47 PM)Amos Wrote: My bad, it is flexible. The thing is, in basic plan I can see only 100 stocks after screening and I don't have div growth for more than 5 years. Also I didn't find a column for recorded years of dividend growth. Does it worth 250$ a year? maybe.

The site is definitely not a one stop shop for every piece of information about every stock ... for portfolio management + screening tho I haven't found anything better ...

You can expand each stock in each view to get the last 5 or 10 years worth of values, so here you can see the last 10 years of Dividend Per Share that PH has paid ( as well as showing the 10 year values for Dividend growth rate and historical P/E )

[Image: Eygw633.png]

(08-14-2015, 01:47 PM)Amos Wrote: The thing is, in basic plan I can see only 100 stocks after screening and I don't have div growth for more than 5 years.

For this problem I've actually made individual Watchlists for the CCC list as well as each sector ( first screening for something simple like >0% dividend )

[Image: sGTrKv0.png]

That way whatever screener you come up with you can run it against each specific Watchlist ( Dividend Champions, Basic Materials etc ) and get the top 100 results

RE: Portfolio management - Kerim - 08-21-2015

I think most of us are just detail-oriented control freaks, so Excel lets us have it our way!

I've only tried a handful of programs, websites, apps, etc, but they have all fallen way short for me. Rapid has finally gotten me intrigued about SR, so I may sign up for the free version over the weekend and play around with it.

RE: Portfolio management - Rasec - 08-21-2015

I really like SR, it's very flexible, had some flaws, the biggest issue is it's mobile version, it's very poor. But, Google docs online is not much better Tongue.

RE: Portfolio management - rapidacid - 08-23-2015

(08-21-2015, 02:23 PM)Rasec Wrote: the biggest issue is it's mobile version, it's very poor.

Agreed.

RE: Portfolio management - OldTimer - 10-10-2015

Hi all ... I came here with the very same question (this is my first post). Thanks for the information about Stock Rover. I am going to look into it. I came across this software package in my search and it seems to be focused on tracking dividend stocks (http://www.dividendsoftware.com/). I have no connection to this company, in fact I am new enough at this that I don't even know how good it is. Anyway, I have decided I might prefer an online solution so that I can access it from any computer.