Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4 Average
What Did You Buy Today?
(03-16-2021, 10:24 AM)ken-do-nim Wrote: I bought at least 1 share (if I didn't already have it) of everything on my plan (see other thread) except Amazon, Shopify, and Google who are up today and are too expensive for dips.  I will see how they fare tomorrow.
That's a rational plan IMO.  Your list is long and you'll likely get a chance to add to something every few days.  There will be rotations from one sector to the next.  That theme will probably stick as everyone wants to be invested in something.
Is justice league only coming to hbo max? That should be good for T. HBO some really good comtent. How is this not reflecting in the stock. Lol. I hope T doesn't screw HBO opportunity.
(03-16-2021, 11:45 AM)vbin Wrote: Is justice league only coming to hbo max? That should be good for T. HBO some really good comtent. How is this not reflecting in the stock. Lol. I hope T doesn't screw HBO opportunity.
Does a streamed movie or series have a material impact on a T quarter?
Added to MO.
(03-16-2021, 12:37 PM)fenders53 Wrote:
(03-16-2021, 11:45 AM)vbin Wrote: Is justice league only coming to hbo max? That should be good for T. HBO some really good comtent. How is this not reflecting in the stock. Lol. I hope T doesn't screw HBO opportunity.

Not so much on a single quarter, but it's a good indication of how amazing HBO max can be. 
I'm too lazy to pull up any figures, but if you check I'm absolutely certain that there has been a correlation between game of thrones and subscriber growth for HBO. It's not unusual at all for people to sign up to a service because there is something they absolutely want to see and it's only available there. (legally)

I personally think a lot of people are underestimating the effect HBO max can have over the long term. HBO has been the king of quality for a long time.

Just a fun fact:
T, the whole T, currently has a similar market cap to Netflix.
AT&T investor day presentation and transcript from March 12.

Expects HBO max to break even with $15B in revenue in 2025.

To me the bigger potential for growth is in its broadband and wireless connections as more people move from cable to internet based television.

Remember that the number of connected devices like phones, tablets, home security, automobiles, etc. continues to grow, it's not just cell phones that AT&T provides service for.
My website: DGI For The DIY
Also on: Facebook - Twitter - Seeking Alpha
Yeah HBO have had some really good content

Imagine the narrative, a company beating subscriber growth of dis, netflix, roku, and pays 7-8% div. That should rocket T. ( In my dreams)

On the other hand if they screw it up then God save T share holders.
I have always viewed them as a phone utility and previous attempts to break away have been mediocre at best. This really is their chance. A few quarters of rising subscriptions could finally wake the stock up. I didn't realize HBO profitability was that far out though. 5G is a big deal in the end though. Every appliance and gadget in your home will be connected if you want it to be. Seems like every few weeks I see something new at HD that is now smart. Give it time and you'll be able to cook and do laundry while you are at work. We sell eight garage door openers and I think only one of them is dumb.

No stock purchases for almost a week. This might be a personal record. Smile
(03-16-2021, 02:26 PM)crimsonghost747 Wrote:
(03-16-2021, 12:37 PM)fenders53 Wrote:

Not so much on a single quarter, but it's a good indication of how amazing HBO max can be. 
I'm too lazy to pull up any figures, but if you check I'm absolutely certain that there has been a correlation between game of thrones and subscriber growth for HBO. It's not unusual at all for people to sign up to a service because there is something they absolutely want to see and it's only available there. (legally)

I personally think a lot of people are underestimating the effect HBO max can have over the long term. HBO has been the king of quality for a long time.

Just a fun fact:
T, the whole T, currently has a similar market cap to Netflix.
Since we are slow I'll spam the thread some more.  Smile

I defended T for a few years.  I am tired of their failure to execute.  The Direct TV acquisition and capital dump was lunacy.  I don't blame anyone for owning T, and I even own a few shares, but they better get it right this time.  T is about one mistake away from visiting $22 with all the debt.  An extended down market would accomplish it too.  I need compensated for that risk.  $27 is about the most I would pay for T anytime soon.  If it never happens I'm OK with that too.
(03-16-2021, 02:51 PM)EricL Wrote: AT&T investor day presentation and transcript from March 12.

Expects HBO max to break even with $15B in revenue in 2025.

Those numbers wouldn't be too far off from where Netflix was in 2018. 
For reference, Netflix had a market cap in the $110B to $150B range during that time. 

Of course with these companies it has been a lot more about subscriber growth than any of the other metrics, and I really do think that HBO will do well in that department. I know I am absolutely tired of scrolling through Netflix simply because to find one good thing to watch I need to scroll through tens if not hundreds of series and try out at least 5 before I find a decent one. There is a point where quality always beats quantity.

But indeed the main thing here is seeing how T plans to screw this one up. Big Grin
HBO has done well for the past 50 years of so, it would take a special kind of genius to screw it up. T's last CEO was certainly one of those, let's hope the new one isn't.

I'm still neutral on T. I own quite a bit but I don't expect great things happening anytime soon, I'm just enjoying the dividend.
Added ABBV pre market at $101.80. Finally a dip I like lol
(03-17-2021, 08:17 AM)divmenow Wrote: Added ABBV pre market at $101.80. Finally a dip I like lol

I did the same but at $103

Also added some LHX and MO