Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4 Average
What Did You Buy Today?
Bought AEE, CVX, JNJ (x2), PM, FEZ, MSFT, AAPL today. Adding to positions (~ $20K).
Added to my position in Magna International (MGA) (MG.TO)
WPC, VTR, DVYL, O, PG, PEP, OHI, MCD, LXP, LTC, HTA, HCN, GIS, EPR, DLR, CSG, MO. These are all partial positions in 2 IRAs.
Added to XOM today below $90.
Bought a few shares of IBM yesterday. Wish I had waited until today!
(01-14-2015, 01:04 PM)Kerim Wrote: Bought a few shares of IBM yesterday. Wish I had waited until today!

C'mon now, you cant look at it that way.

If that were the case, I would have bought a lot of apple stock or others back then.

I am keeping a watchful eye on BP,CVX & XOM and waiting to pickup some more (not time the market) but want to be careful at this point.
Bought a few shares of KMF at $29.75 to add to existing position. Discount to NAV is getting stretched at (-14%+). Risk to mid stream MLPs is overblown IMO. Yield is north of 6%.
Alex
PSX below $60 today.
Bought a small chunk of GE within a few pennies of my target price ($23.57) to average down. I'll settle for that 3.8% yield.

I have a soft spot for GE. Grew up in Schenectady where Edison had a workshop that became the company, where their large & medium steam turbines were built, where Knolls Atomic Labs did a lot of design & testing work for both the nuclear Navy and commercial power plants, and where they perfected a method of making artificial diamonds used in abrasives to hone and finish some specialty work amongst a bunch of other stuff. Their complex was so big, it had it's own small rail system to get some of the workers to their workstations.

I worked on their nuclear plants in the Navy and commercially and my uncle lost some fingers year ago in a large steam turbine as they were trying to trial fit some bearing parts. My ex, late father-in-law worked for their silicone plant for 40 years and literally had a steamer trunk full of their stock certificates in his basement -- talk about eccentric Undecided. (Or maybe it was the fumes.) Sorta explains the "ex" part Rolleyes.

Sadly, today the place is a shell of its old self with most of the work done overseas now. Gawd, I must be tired reminiscing like that. Sad
=====

“While the dividend itself is merely a rearrangement of equity, over time it's more like owning an apple tree. The tree grows the apples back again and again and again, and the theoretical value of the tree doesn't change just because of when the apples are about to fall.” - earthtodan

Last week I so old enough $24 February puts to double my GE position. The puts went for 73 cents and would present an entry price of about $23.30. If not exercised I'll likely go out another two months and sell another 6 contracts. GE's price is probably going nowhere soon since the shares will take a hit due to GE's large (23% of income) exposure to the oil and gas E&P sector. Part of that issue appears to already be priced in however.
Alex
Bought 23 shares of XOM and 18 shares of CVX this afternoon. Getting more than 3% yield for XOM and 4% yield for CVX were just too good of a deal to pass up.
Nice incremental buy on CVX and XOM! Just keep in mind what your definition of "too good of a deal" is. Last time crude was selling at this level in early 2009 CVX was selling in the $60's and XOM was selling in the $50's and $60's. There could still be a lot of air under the share price of each. Now if those earlier levels are reached again, IMO, that will really be "too good of a deal" to pass up! I'm looking at two good chances for continued strong downdraft. I'm thinking that the best chance of a steep sell off will come in October or September, as low prices really start to show up on quarterly numbers and we reach that typical shoulders season for crude prices.
Alex