Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
McDonald's - why is no one talking about it?
Bear market?  What bear market?

MCD is up from $167 to $270 in the past 5 years, in a pretty straight line up as far as stocks go.  You want annual dividend increases?  Let's see...
2018 - $1.01
2019 - $1.16
2020 - $1.25
2021 - $1.29
2022 - $1.38
2023 - $1.52

The P/E is high (~38), but other than that, seems like a model citizen of DGI land.
It is a great stock. I'm already sitting on 100 shares of it. The high PE is why I haven't added to it in a while.
(03-21-2023, 08:05 PM)I’m ken-do-nim Wrote: Bear market?  What bear market?

MCD is up from $167 to $270 in the past 5 years, in a pretty straight line up as far as stocks go.  You want annual dividend increases?  Let's see...
2018 - $1.01
2019 - $1.16
2020 - $1.25
2021 - $1.29
2022 - $1.38
2023 - $1.52

The P/E is high (~38), but other than that, seems like a model citizen of DGI land.

That’s because MCD does well in a bear market or during uncertainty. 

You have to own names like this for safety. MCD is my 3rd largest holding and I’m not selling a penny. 

Same goes for HSY
I definitely do; I'm kind of embarassed I never took a closer look before. Will load up some day.
(03-23-2023, 05:43 AM)ken-do-nim Wrote: I definitely do; I'm kind of embarassed I never took a closer look before.  Will load up some day.
I got spoiled buying it during the Covid crash. It was bit cheaper then.
I bought most of my MCD in the 2011-2014 period, when you could get yields in the 3.5 percent neighborhood. It is a bit hard to get excited about new shares at the current valuation, but the company looks nice and healthy to me. I don't think I've ever considered selling it.

(I do sometimes imagine evolving into the type of investor who sells holdings that become really over-valued, but I haven't yet. And even if I did, I'd still likely keep holding my MCD at these levels.)

((And yes, I do occasionally do still swing through the drive-through when I'm in the mood for a treat!..... Uh, I mean,,, just to keep tabs on my investment.))
MCD is kind of a nostalgia stock to me.
It is one of the two remaining stocks from 2015 when I turned to DGI [1]. Few days after I bought it, I took son (16) and wife to "our" restaurant to hold the annual shareholder meeting of our new DGI Fund. To my memory, MCD and its dividend raises end of 2015, 2016 and 2017 convinced me of the picture of "bonds with increasing coupons". It kind of learned me DGI.

Today, the yield on cost of the 2015 position would be 6.4%. "Would", because in 2019 I had to sell MCD and rebuy it to transfere it to an account under my wife's name. Thus its official YoC is just 3.4%.

I added to MCD end of 2017. Probably the lower entry yields and Fastgraphs' chart kept me from buying more.

Thanks for bringing MCD back to attention. I marked it for a possible add when it touches the light green area (Fastgraphs) or gets 3 stars (Morningstar).

- - -
[1] the other is IBM.
I love your "annual shareholder meeting" with the family at the restaurant. My daughter is almost 18 but steadfastly refuses to concern herself with anything money-related. I hope your son was attentive.

JNJ was my introduction to DGI.

Btw, I'm up to 5 shares of MCD. I will keep slowly building the position.
It's one of those stocks that there isn't much need to talk about. Just buy and hold and you'll be happy. Smile
I actually don't own it myself, but it's definitely a great DGI stock.
(07-25-2023, 03:51 PM)crimsonghost747 Wrote: It's one of those stocks that there isn't much need to talk about. Just buy and hold and you'll be happy. Smile
I actually don't own it myself, but it's definitely a great DGI stock.

Yes and it's also on NilesMike's "ultimate portfolio".
Yes it is. Under the criteria that I used, MCD was the 3rd best performing Dividend Aristocrat. Best was CHD, then LIN, then MCD which slightly edged out SHW. Those were clearly the best. A notch below was O. Then a large group that all did similarly well.
(07-26-2023, 06:26 AM)NilesMike Wrote: Yes it is. Under the criteria that I used, MCD was the 3rd best performing Dividend Aristocrat. Best was CHD, then LIN, then MCD which slightly edged out SHW. Those were clearly the best. A notch below was O. Then a large group that all did similarly well.

I've been slowly going through your list and learning about the companies.  I will be adding ABT to my portfolio for sure.  I'm looking at LIN now.  CHD I hadn't even started looking at, but I guess I'd better bump it up Smile