Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Top 10...2022 year end & 1-1-2023
First Happy New Year!! 2023 came quick!!

Beginning 2022 my top 10 was...

1) Msft
2) aapl
3) xom
4) Nvda
5) mo
6) jnj
7) brk.b
8) shop
9) gild
10) PG

and now for 2023

1)msft
2)goog/googl
3)xom
4)aapl
5)amzn
6)nvda
7)brk.b
8)mo
9)abbv
10)bx

the only one i'm struggling with is MO--i'll most likely liquidate MO sometime this year--idk....maybe
How are you feeling about BX? The dividend keeps shrinking every quarter.
(01-03-2023, 08:17 AM)ken-do-nim Wrote: How are you feeling about BX?  The dividend keeps shrinking every quarter.

not at all--BX has always been a company that pays a divi amount based off profits, higher the profit then higher the divi passed to shareholders--one has to remember BX is an alternative asset management firm and they're always buying and selling something of some sort

as a BX shareholder during times of distress in the markets has been a good accumulation phase

having said that--imho--amzn--goog/googl and maybe some others can offer a better return

i've been buying amzn
well as i said--i liquidated MO a couple of weeks ago--it's just a company i'm not willing to invest in till it figures things out--doesn't mean i won't own it again someday but i doubt it

two other stocks i might kick to the curb is disney and verizon, idk yet though

tesla made it back into the top 10, it jumped up from #11/12 to position #7
(03-04-2023, 11:17 AM)rayray Wrote: well as i said--i liquidated MO a couple of weeks ago--it's just a company i'm not willing to invest in till it figures things out--doesn't mean i won't own it again someday but i doubt it

two other stocks i might kick to the curb is disney and verizon, idk yet though

tesla made it back into the top 10, it jumped up from #11/12 to position #7

DIS should be a great stock, but it just isn't.

VZ I do have, but I just hold it for the steady dividend. Also I bought it at around $40/share so it isn't a noticeable loss yet.
January 1, 2023 Top 10

1)msft
2)goog/googl
3)xom
4)aapl
5)amzn
6)nvda
7)brk.b
8)mo
9)abbv
10)bx

June 1, 2023

1)goog/googl
2)msft
3)nvda
4)aapl
5)amzn
6)xom
7)tsla
8)bx
9)brk.b
10)lrcx

These are my current Top 10 in the portfolio--I've been contemplating in taking some profits off the top and deploying elsewhere but I tend to be slow doing so--after a horrendous 2022--2023 has been a good year.

There are 42 individual equities, with 3 funds, 1 company stock kplan fund (it's a mix of company stock and bonds)

27 pay a dividend
15 pay no dividend

portfolio yields 1.54%

current returns of overall portfolio 2023

1 month: 5.13%
1 year: 7.03%
YTD: 23.10%
Here's my Year end Top 10 and some results

1) GOOG/GOOGL
2) NVDA
3) MSFT
4) AMZN
5) AAPL
6) XOM
7) TSLA
8) BX
9) UNH
10) BRK.B

Alphabet remains top holding with Nvidia taking #2, MSFT drops to #3 and Apple and Amazon flip-flopping spots--XOM and TSLA hold on to 6 and 7 spots--I still anticipate TSLA to become #1 eventually--just not sure when??

BX has been on a solid run lately--we'll see if they return more $'s to shareholders in 2024/25.

UNH is having some issues, a 7 billion write-off, people are having a hard enough time affording their healthcare and here we have these healthcare providers bleeding cash--ugh.

Not sure how to position myself for 2024

After a horrible 2022 I had my best year in 2023, but one has to have the bad to have the good--it's the way it works.

brokerage 1 YTD: 53.38%
brokerage 2 YTD: 44.81%
rollover IRA YTD: 74.73% the bulk of NVDA in this acct
ROTH IRA YTD: 54.49%

edit: kplan YTD: 23.44%

What helped me was a while back I dumped all banks and financials except for some asset managers, had quite a bit of tech and semi's--never had a year like this--not even close.

SAIA was another big winner, great stock

I have

42 equities
28 of the 42 pay a dividend
3 ETF's plus company stock

26K in annual dividends

I'm about 30% there to my magic number but 7-8 years away from retiring, with in and around 60 as my goal.

When I do research, I don't focus on the dividend, it has very little decision on investing.
I hear you on the "can't have the good without the bad". My main account was up 104% and my ROTH IRA was up 147%, but you won't hear me celebrating. By this time next year I should be at or past my end of 2021 year high, so it will have ended up being a 3 year recovery period.
(12-30-2023, 11:39 AM)ken-do-nim Wrote: I hear you on the "can't have the good without the bad".  My main account was up 104% and my ROTH IRA was up 147%, but you won't hear me celebrating.  By this time next year I should be at or past my end of 2021 year high, so it will have ended up being a 3 year recovery period.

Overall, I'm at my peak but my kplan is still down 100k from it's peak--I find that disappointing because it's ETF/MF based. Well, my compnay stock hurt me too. Because of kplan choices it's a partial reason why I went from 16% to 6% contributions, enough to keep the company match. I also wanted to build up my non-retirement accounts in case I retire before 59 1/2.
(12-30-2023, 12:08 PM)rayray Wrote:
(12-30-2023, 11:39 AM)ken-do-nim Wrote: I hear you on the "can't have the good without the bad".  My main account was up 104% and my ROTH IRA was up 147%, but you won't hear me celebrating.  By this time next year I should be at or past my end of 2021 year high, so it will have ended up being a 3 year recovery period.

Overall, I'm at my peak but my kplan is still down 100k from it's peak--I find that disappointing because it's ETF/MF based. Well, my compnay stock hurt me too. Because of kplan choices it's a partial reason why I went from 16% to 6% contributions, enough to keep the company match. I also wanted to build up my non-retirement accounts in case I retire before 59 1/2.

I'm lucky in that if I decide to retire anywhere between 55 and 59 1/2, the rule of 55 will kick in for me, since my current 401k represents my entire retirement savings except for my much smaller roth ira.

Yeah, my company stock has not had much of a recovery from its 2021 high.  I sold most of it at massive losses and moved it into far more lucrative positions.  That's mainly why it will take me another year of big market gains to surpass my overall 2021 peak. 

Btw 26k in dividends, nice!  And without trying too.
(12-30-2023, 05:43 PM)ken-do-nim Wrote: Btw 26k in dividends, nice!  And without trying too.

Thank you

--A while back I went from a DGI style of investing to excluding the dividend from my investing research--what I found was that dividend paying stocks, actually of high quality showed up on my screens. The difference might have been 10 to 12k less in dividends but a lot more in actual capital appreciation. The name of the game for me is capital appreciation, compounding my overall net worth, the dividend is secondary. I can make my own income by selling 4% of my portfolio--as long as I average over and beyond 4% return the chances of running out of money is slim to none.
(12-30-2023, 10:48 PM)rayray Wrote:
(12-30-2023, 05:43 PM)ken-do-nim Wrote: Btw 26k in dividends, nice!  And without trying too.

Thank you

--A while back I went from a DGI style of investing to excluding the dividend from my investing research--what I found was that dividend paying stocks, actually of high quality showed up on my screens. The difference might have been 10 to 12k less in dividends but a lot more in actual capital appreciation. The name of the game for me is capital appreciation, compounding my overall net worth, the dividend is secondary. I can make my own income by selling 4% of my portfolio--as long as I average over and beyond 4% return the chances of running out of money is slim to none.

I mostly made the same switch.  I still have some pure DGI stocks like LYB and WEC but they aren't a large part of my portfolio.  They do keep my yield up above 1.5%; which is a boundary I'm trying to keep.

I agree many people live off trimming rather than dividends in retirement.  It sucks on a down year, but overall it works well.  The trick is to keep a cash reserve of 1-2 years, so that when a down year happens, you eat away your cash reserve rather than trim shares.