Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another SA Refugee
Hello, I have been active on Seeking Alpha but they are changing their format which will eliminate a discussion format I have been active with. I am nearing retirement where I plan to live primarily off dividend income. Retirement date is about two weeks from now. Once I have time I'll post more details on how I intend to finance my transition to hanging out and doing what I like but for another two weeks other people can still tell me what to do  Smile.

I don't know if people can read these if you're not a SA member - and no idea how long they'll be available anyway - but I have a bunch of blog posts where I discuss my investing, portfolio, and retirement planning: https://seekingalpha.com/user/48196727/comments

Looking forward to meeting people here and learning from everyone. I'm not smart enough to advise anyone on how to invest but I'm very willing to toss what I'm doing out there and answer questions in case there's something of value someone can take from it.
Welcome.
Retirement in 2 weeks sounds good! I did take a quick look at your SA blog posts, some good details there. It's interesting to see that you weren't really active in the market until recently, I guess that just goes to show that there are so many other ways of gathering wealth than the stock market which we are all familiar with.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts and experiences regarding how it feels to be finally retired and managing your portfolio while retired.
(12-07-2021, 05:53 AM)cemanuel Wrote: I am nearing retirement where I plan to live primarily off dividend income. 

That's impressive.  I think most people plan to live off a combination of dividends and sales of growth shares (prior to social security kicking in).

Looking at your list, I see you have GOOGL so no dividends there, and Apple & Microsoft barely pay any, so I assume you plan to trim them occasionally too?

I am long: AAPL, ABBV, ADM, AMZN, AOS, BBY, BMY, CHWY, CVS, GD, GOOGL, ITW, LMT, LYB, MO, MSFT, MSM, MU, NEE, OGE, PFE, PM, PYPL, QSR, SBUX, T, UNH, VZ, WHR, WSM.
Welcome, cemanuel!
(12-07-2021, 07:29 AM)ken-do-nim Wrote:
(12-07-2021, 05:53 AM)cemanuel Wrote: I am nearing retirement where I plan to live primarily off dividend income. 

That's impressive.  I think most people plan to live off a combination of dividends and sales of growth shares (prior to social security kicking in).

Looking at your list, I see you have GOOGL so no dividends there, and Apple & Microsoft barely pay any, so I assume you plan to trim them occasionally too?

That is precisely what I plan. I can get about 80% of what I need from my Taxable Account Dividends. I had initially thought I'd balance that out with IRA dividends - the rollover will be next spring. After running a bunch of tax scenarios I decided it would be better to augment the dividends - fill the gap - with periodic GOOGL and AAPL sales. The LT cap gains tax works better than IRA withdrawals.
Welcome cemanuel, good to see you join!
My website: DGI For The DIY
Also on: Facebook - Twitter - Seeking Alpha
I wondered where you all came from suddenly but I've seen some of your screen names on SA.
Count me as another one of the S.A. refugees. I'm hoping that this place works out.

So far, it looks like the best choice.

Christine
(12-08-2021, 12:08 AM)Christinebitg Wrote: Count me as another one of the S.A. refugees.  I'm hoping that this place works out.

Christine

Welcome Christine, good to see you join!
(12-08-2021, 12:08 AM)Christinebitg Wrote: Count me as another one of the S.A. refugees.  I'm hoping that this place works out.

Christine

Hello! Always good to see a familiar, er, username. Though I'm hoping that in a month or two a lot of the residents will be familiar. I'm sure folks will benefit from your knowledge of fossil fuels and energy.
Welcome Christine.

cemanuul

There is somebody here interested in about everything. The problem has been a half dozen of us have been trying to keep the forum active enough to survive. Hopefully that gets better now. I am pleased you folks are starting threads. Have a little patience and the forum should improve. The other choice is watching a few of us swing trade part of our ports which has nothing to do with DGI.
(12-08-2021, 07:27 AM)cemanuel Wrote:

Christine

Hello! Always good to see a familiar, er, username. Though I'm hoping that in a month or two a lot of the residents will be familiar. I'm sure folks will benefit from your knowledge of fossil fuels and energy.

Agreed, it will be nice having her knowledge of the industry. Will be nice having another who can weigh in on the VBIN Oil Stock Thread.