Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Safe" high yielders - stocks, ETFs, CEFs, REITs, MLPs, etc - post your favorites!
(08-03-2021, 10:40 AM)Genester Wrote:
(08-03-2021, 10:19 AM)rayray Wrote: i'm not a fan of high yielders, there's a reason why there's slim good long term data concerning high yielders--did own IRM and OHI that i bought when they were yielding 8 to 11%--both have been sold--i don't like selling and prolly should have kept but didn't

i do a mix of divi growth and growth stocks, for the most part have done well could have done better but i get wacky every so often and make mistakes

i do like the top 5 canadian banks--been okay for my porfolio, long term

i grasp between my divi players and my growth players

it's a feel good seeing that divi come in but then again, seeing the balance of my growth stocks, idk, those balances are really nice lol

i guess, i'm spread out between growth and value--so if the tides change i should be okay

So, I think it all depends on where you are on your road to retirement. I am trying to help my mom - she has ~40% of her portfolio in the vanilla S&P ETF, the rest is cash... growth isn't important to her - capital preservation and income are. She would be very happy earning 4-5% on something that doesn't decline in value over 10 years...
That's a target you can hit without unnecessary risk.  She is likely to see some capital appreciation as well.  There are not a lot of them at the moment but when the defensive sectors dip you can grab a slow growth company that doesn't have a lot for fleas, but does have a solid dividend history.  The highest yielders play magic leverage tricks that blow up soon enough.   They just keep turning it up higher until the yield sucks the less experienced in.  It's been working longer than I have been investing.  Over and over management gets paid to drive the train off a cliff.  Find a few sketchy analysts to pump it with buy ratings and it's all good for awhile.

Messages In This Thread
RE: "Safe" high yielders - stocks, ETFs, CEFs, REITs, MLPs, etc - post your favorites! - by fenders53 - 08-03-2021, 10:59 AM