Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ken-do-nim's Watch List
This is a thread to keep track of my personal watch list, with the different equities separated by what investing strategy they fall under.  This does not include equities I already own that I plan to add to in the near term.

Strategy: DGI
  • LYB - I'm light on manufacturing stocks, though admittedly a little creeped out about the accident yesterday that killed two people
  • CP - Would be my first transportation stock
  • HPQ - I think they make really good products for the non-apple consumer, plus 3-d printing play
  • JNJ - I know I sold them a while back, but I've decided it just can't be a DGI portfolio without them Smile
  • AWK - one of the few UTEs that actually has an ascending growth rate, though I'm not sure how the southwest drought affects them
  • SCHD - intriguing ETF
  • Blackrock (BX) - nice mixture of growth and yield
  • BHP - another mining stock like RIO, and likewise, dividends are sharply up recently just as the stock price is falling

Strategy: companies whose products/services I use often
  • Apple - my phone, my computer, etc.
  • Microsoft - Office, their Operating System, and I like their cloud business
  • Disney - they own Marvel and Star Wars!
  • Amazon - still the best place to shop
  • Facebook - still the best place to browse
  • Exxon-Mobil - where I get my gas
  • Hasbro - D&D and A&A!
  • Verizon - my phone plan, my internet plan
  • CVS - pharmacy of choice
  • Capital One Financial - my bank
  • Mastercard - my credit card
  • Morgan Stanley - my brokerage (they bought etrade)
  • Cisco - internet backbone, webex
  • General Mills - cheerios!
  • P&G - shampoo!
  • Netflix - still the best streaming service
  • Discover - my other credit card
  • Nestle - nestle crunch!
  • Hershey - pretty much every other candy bar
  • AirBnB - great way to find places to stay when traveling
  • eBay - where I buy & sell
  • Cigna - my insurance company
Strategy: growth
  • BA - mainly from that dream, but I do have a friend who works there
  • SHOP - admittedly I already missed the big runup, but I still think they have room to grow
  • ENPH - looks like a good energy company
  • AMD - the secret sauce behind SOXX/SOXL
  • ASML - another stellar chip stock
  • VSTO - comes with the fenders seal of approval
  • F - electric cars, a lot cheaper than Tesla
  • ALB - lithium batteries for electric cars
  • UPST - holy cow!!!

Strategy: income
  • QYLD
  • DIVO
  • RQI
  • NREF
  • RYLD
  • OHI - 8%er that increases its div regularly
(07-29-2021, 02:46 PM)ken-do-nim Wrote: This is a thread to keep track of my personal watch list, with the different equities separated by what investing strategy they fall under.  This does not include equities I already own that I plan to add to in the near term.

• LYB - I'm light on manufacturing stocks, though admittedly a little creeped out about the accident yesterday that killed two people
  • HPQ - I think they make really good products for the non-apple consumer
  • JNJ - I know I sold them a while back, but I've decided it just can't be a DGI portfolio without them Smile
  • AWK - one of the few UTEs that actually has an ascending growth rate, though I'm not sure how the southwest drought affects them

• Hasbro - D&D and A&A!
  • P&G - shampoo!
  • SHOP - admittedly I already missed the big runup, but I still think they have room to grow

None on these on your list I would feel comfortable buying at current levels except XOM. The rest you will be waiting for a while before they become bargains lol  Big Grin

VZ is getting interesting but its just too blah and boring for me to own.
(07-30-2021, 03:01 PM)divmenow Wrote:
(07-29-2021, 02:46 PM)ken-do-nim Wrote: This is a thread to keep track of my personal watch list, with the different equities separated by what investing strategy they fall under.  This does not include equities I already own that I plan to add to in the near term.

• HPQ - I think they make really good products for the non-apple consumer

• Hasbro - D&D and A&A!
  • P&G - shampoo!

None on these on your list I would feel comfortable buying at current levels except XOM. The rest you will be waiting for a while before they become bargains lol  Big Grin

VZ is getting interesting but its just too blah and boring for me to own.

VZ has been sliding since May.  Not sure why.

You make a great point; on the bright side I don't have any purchasing power anyway.  I'm not even sure when I'll have new money to invest.  2025?  Heh.

I did add Amazon today, so I'll mark it off my list.  I did so by sacrificing some of my dividend earnings; though at this point it was more like return of capital.
Decent list but I agree with Divmenow that XOM is about the only one at a comfortable valuation, or we are used to buying them a lot cheaper recently.. Don't force a trade and some of them will come to you soon enough. It's best you have some margin of safety on new purchases. It may not seem like it when the market won't stay down 48HRs but this will end.

If you like add a price target to your stocks and we'll comment. Look at the chart first. I'm pretty confident ENPH will see $200 this year but the risk/reward just isn't there if you paid $185.

My crystal ball says that when the earnings news flow subsides in a few weeks we are back to choppy market. The real fun starts when the Covid re-opening surge wears off some. It will happen. Some good companies are already dropping hints. Trying to keep a leash on the analysts is my guess. You have to wait to get a seat at TXRH. They complained about inflation during the CC (like that is news and they can't raise prices 50 cents for now). They drove e the stock down $10 off last weeks high.
The real fun starts when the Covid re-opening surge wears off some. It will happen.

I don't think the surge has fully engaged yet. Tons and tons of pent up demand is still coming.
(07-30-2021, 09:59 PM)NilesMike Wrote: The real fun starts when the Covid re-opening surge wears off some. It will happen.

I don't think the surge has fully engaged yet. Tons and tons of pent up demand is still coming.
I agree.  I guess I wasn't clear.  Maybe only a quarter for some sectors and years for others IMO.  

Some lumber operations already curtailing production two months after record highs.  They are not interested in 2019 prices anytime soon.  Who knows what year certain semi-conductors, travel etc is back to normal.  GDP growth is well short of predictions so maybe it will be more spread out?  That would probably be better anyway.
Also, let me clarify my narrative on VSTO. Amazing turnaround story. Train wreck after IPO and a new CEO fixed it. Growth rate has been crazy good, debt low, PE low, little company buying back stock two years after it looked like they might BK. They added some great outdoor brands at the perfect time for Covid and the re-opening. They are also the market leader in ammunition sales. They bought struggling competitors in BK proceedings just as social unrest scared the nation. Then a DEM was elected president which usually sells more guns. Oddly enough VSTO sold off their gun manufacturing business because it is just high drama and hurts your multiple. Sounds like the perfect stock to own right? Well it was and it ran from 5 to 40+ where it is now. What happens when 90% annual growth turns into 15% which would be more normal? I don't know for sure but the easy money days are about over IMO. I'll hold some long shares but I am about to start selling covered calls to trim my positions. This is a small cap I turned into a core position. I sold options very profitably for a year. I can't lose if my VSTO shares pulled back 75%. It's about timing. If VSTO pulls back, then buying a few shares for a couple year hold probably pays off in a year or two. Buy now and you could be down 20% when the growth backs off a little which it certainly will unless this is the next Cabela's.

WEC is an example. I hyped them because I know the company. They did run 20% quick and it was no longer a strong buy. I trimmed when I should have. Nothing changed with the company story throughout any of this but chasing winning stocks is dangerous.
Added an income section to the list. Again, as others have stated above, entry price matters, and just taking a look for instance at RQI it's at an all-time high probably not a great time to buy.
(08-02-2021, 09:13 AM)ken-do-nim Wrote: Added an income section to the list.  Again, as others have stated above, entry price matters, and just taking a look for instance at RQI it's at an all-time high probably not a great time to buy.

I won a stock picking contest here with a proper entry in RQI. Smile  Now is not a good time to buy it in my opinion.  I only own it about half the time.  Decent yield but CAP appreciation has  crushed the yield.  It got beat up bad during the Covid crash.  It was a good buy that month.  I'll have to be patient but the next time real estate looks a little shaky I'll be back.  Management has survived some tough times.
This morning I learned about the Covered Call ETFs: https://finance.yahoo.com/news/etf-battl...00549.html.

So, I think all of JEPI, QYLD, NUSI, and RYLD have merit. The video points out that NUSI will do the best in a down market.
(08-09-2021, 07:17 AM)ken-do-nim Wrote: This morning I learned about the Covered Call ETFs: https://finance.yahoo.com/news/etf-battl...00549.html.

So, I think all of JEPI, QYLD, NUSI, and RYLD have merit.  The video points out that NUSI will do the best in a down market.
They are less risky than some of your other income candidates.  They actually employ about half the strategy I use in the income section of my portfolio.  If the market is flat to slightly up they will do well.  An index like VOO will trounce them over time though. As appropriate throw up a comparison graph of the index they track and look back 10 years.
Even though I'm on a company stock selling binge and should see this watch list rapidly actualized over the next month, at least with starter positions, I'm going to hold off buying DIS to protest it. I'm sure the lawsuit is more complicated than it appears, but it sure seems that Disney decided to release Black Widow on its streaming service, but didn't compensate the cast & crew likewise, even though when they signed their deals no one knew about coronavirus and they were entitled to an exclusive theatrical release. Not a way to treat people.