Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What are your winners & losers today?
People must be eating a lot of chili Wink
(05-20-2021, 08:14 PM)divmenow Wrote: People must be eating a lot of chili Wink
The fear from analysts was rising pork prices would squeeze margins.  You suppose they just raised prices a little?
I'll report first today. Port ATH by more than the usual couple hundred bucks. RUN-ENPH were some of the weekly MVPs. And a lot of sold options expired today so the too much cash problem continues next week.
Well congratulations!

Was up for most of the day, but down at the end. May is going down in the books as junk, but here's hoping June is better.

Taxable
Winner: DFEN, the defense industry triple that's not in the ROTH
Loser: STX, continuing its cool-off

ROTH
Winner: BDRY, this one is up and down like a yo-yo!
Loser: NAIL, ouch!
Winners:
D: +1.27%
T: +1.25%
TGT: +1.23%

Losers:
FLO: -2.37%
AAPL: -1.48%
QCOM: -0.89%
My website: DGI For The DIY
Also on: Facebook - Twitter - Seeking Alpha
FLO is another I'd never heard of. Oooh a bakery!
(05-21-2021, 03:54 PM)ken-do-nim Wrote: Well congratulations!

Was up for most of the day, but down at the end.  May is going down in the books as junk, but here's hoping June is better.

Taxable
Winner: DFEN, the defense industry triple that's not in the ROTH
Loser: STX, continuing its cool-off

ROTH
Winner: BDRY, this one is up and down like a yo-yo!
Loser: NAIL, ouch!
I need to put a few more of your triples in a Ken watchlist.  Smile

I think you will probably do OK by end of year.  This summer I don't know.  Market tends to lie still then but I expect volatility with no real direction.  Last year was unique so I pay no mind to any trends then.  

I'm sure you beat me up in 2020 coming off March though we hadn't met yet. I'll just keep bragging while I can.  I had too much cash last year and left returns on the table.  This year it worked because I missed a beatdown and was able to throw $10K here or there at will on a good dip.  There are a ton of newish investors that got smoked the past quarter.  I am certain of that because most of the Momo got hit 40-50% or worse.  I was able to buy it and some of the profitable ones are flying the last few weeks.  

Just position yourself so you are comfortable if the SPY corrects 10%.  I don't predict that but so many unknowns make it possible.  It's not that important if I am comfortable with your port.  I am going to keep hoping QQQ gets whacked so I can add more.  Forgive me for that Smile
You leave QQQ alone Smile Yeah I understand. And keep in mind I have like 3 different portfolios spread across 2 accounts. There's the triples, the DGI, and the income producers. Eventually I want the taxable account to be just about 100% DGI and income producers, and the ROTH to be 100% growth but only maybe 1/3 triples, 1/3 growth etfs and 1/3 individual growth stocks. The triples were absolutely the right move for 2020, but now I'd like to expand out. Ironically, the first non-triple ETF I tried was BDRY. Dry Bulk Shipping, should be boring right? Not so far! Admittedly I did buy it because it's the top ETF of 2021 so far. Anyway I'm going to give my triples some time to recover before I start breaking them apart. Especially NAIL. Over in the taxable, I will probably wait for next year to break up the big nasdaq 3 (SOXL, TECL, WEBL).

So far the steadiest triples - the ones I actually don't worry about on a daily basis - are:
  • SPXL - S&P 500
  • DDM - Dow 30
  • CURE - healthcare index , last I checked 10% JNJ and when I sold JNJ I just put the proceeds into this
  • FAS - financial services
  • DFEN - defense , though note that the 2020 drawdown killed its prior run which it never recovered to
  • MIDU - mid caps
  • DRN - real estate
  • TPOR - transportation
  • DPST - banking

Also, if I was more evenly balanced I would have been up today. My ROTH has more green than red, but the big money is all in the reds.
Somewhat balanced is usually better 75% of the time because it gives you options to adjust. I'd keep a few triples in small quantities to feed your gambling bone and let it ride. There are times when leverage seems clearly better but those times can be years apart. It could be a long time before a 2020 dip occurs, or maybe not. Just have to be prepared to jump on it. It's not easy. It's a good feeling to be able to swing a few % of your port into something you know is good in a year when it is temporarily crushed.
Today was a great day for the port! It was even better with a half hour to go, but at the very end things cooled off a bit. I'll do this Eric-style with top 3 / bottom 3.

Gold medal: SOXL
Silver medal: WEBL
Bronze medal: TECL

And those just happen to be 3 of my 6 biggest holdings.

On the bottom ...

Meh: DPST
Bad: LABU, of course, luckily I don't have much
Rough: BDRY, this is the craziest ETF yet!

Now just 3 more days like this, and we'll be back at the ath.
Winners:
O: +2.34%
MSFT: +2.29%
AVGO: +1.76%

Losers:
DG: -3.83%
D: -1.43%
AMGN: -1.30%
My website: DGI For The DIY
Also on: Facebook - Twitter - Seeking Alpha
Wow a REIT beat out Microsoft!