Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I tried Linux Mint
Well, out of curiosity I tried Linux Mint Cinnamon 17.1

I downloaded and launched the Linux OS from a USB, that way I wasn't actually doing any actual changes to my hard drive.

It was okay, I only messed with it for a short time. It reminded of Windows back in the day, just with the ability to use apps. From what I understand Linux OS's have been using apps way before smartphones and pc's.

I realize there are a lot of benefits to using Linux distro's, being open source, created by the community, free software (for the most part), virtually virus free, no defragging ect ect ect. But, man, I really like this new Windows 8.1 and I've only been using it for less then a week or so and I'm really impressed. But hell, we're here at this point because of competition and innovation.

I'll play with it some more and if I like it enough maybe I'll create a partition on my HD. Until I know for sure it'll be working off that USB. That was scary enough lol, being I just got this PC and was afraid of messing it up alreadyTongue
I used to use Kubuntu back in the day. It was a bit hard getting used to at first since I had been using Windows all my life but it did have some amazing features and overall ran so much smoother than any Windows I had ever seen. Or have seen to this date.

Thing is, I like to play games once in a while on my pc and I just can't be arsed to restart my pc to change the OS everytime I start or stop playing. So yeah, sticking with windows for the time being for that one simple reason.
(05-23-2015, 12:06 AM)crimsonghost747 Wrote: I used to use Kubuntu back in the day.
Thing is, I like to play games once in a while on my pc and I just can't be arsed to restart my pc to change the OS everytime I start or stop playing. So yeah, sticking with windows for the time being for that one simple reason.

VirtualBox and added memory.
=====

“While the dividend itself is merely a rearrangement of equity, over time it's more like owning an apple tree. The tree grows the apples back again and again and again, and the theoretical value of the tree doesn't change just because of when the apples are about to fall.” - earthtodan

(05-23-2015, 08:12 AM)Dividend Watcher Wrote: VirtualBox and added memory.

Does it actually work as intented? Especially with games because looks like it's just another virtual machine software?
There is also Wine which worked well with a tiny portion of games... but in most cases it was a bitch to setup games for it.
Don't know. My mindset was use windows at the native operating system so you have no issue with compatibility and gaming and put your flavor or Linux in a virtual machine. I was planning to do the same thing just to play with Linux, but not for gaming but rather most of the business apps I use require Windoze.
=====

“While the dividend itself is merely a rearrangement of equity, over time it's more like owning an apple tree. The tree grows the apples back again and again and again, and the theoretical value of the tree doesn't change just because of when the apples are about to fall.” - earthtodan

(05-23-2015, 12:10 PM)Dividend Watcher Wrote: Don't know. My mindset was use windows at the native operating system so you have no issue with compatibility and gaming and put your flavor or Linux in a virtual machine. I was planning to do the same thing just to play with Linux, but not for gaming but rather most of the business apps I use require Windoze.

Yes but in that case you lose the main advantages of having Linux in the first place as the PC is still running Windows as the real OS. Kind of like taking that Mercedes Benz sign that some of the models have on top of the hood and attaching it to a Nissan. It looks different and you might think you are getting more performance but underneath it's still the same old junk.

It's not a bad way to get a quick look at linux and as you said, play around with it. But it's not really the same as running Linux as your main OS.
Do any of you guys run a stand alone Linux PC? Or do you partition the HD for Windows and Linux OS's for a dual boot?

So far, my only experience has been running Linux Mint off a USB and I know I'm not getting the full experience of a Linux OS but it's a start. Actually, until the other day I have never seen Linux let alone use any Linux distro.

Games? I haven't played any games since college and I'm going back to Minesweeper and Civilization IIBig Grin

Other then that, does Donkey Kong and Mario Bro's still exist? How about that chef that made hamburgers? Centipede? Astroroids? Pacman? Ms Pacman? That boxing game?...body blow body blow left hook right hook upper cut upper cut...knockem out knock em out!! Ohhhhhhhhh the days of the arcade and being a little kid againBig Grin
What kind of games, DW? I'm addicted to StarCraft II myself.
(05-24-2015, 07:14 AM)rayray Wrote: Do any of you guys run a stand alone Linux PC? Or do you partition the HD for Windows and Linux OS's for a dual boot?

I've run Linux on the desktop since about 1998 on pretty beefy machines. Never been a gamer tho so can't comment on that aspect. A couple years ago I got a MacBook Air and I pretty much don't use the desktop anymore. It's unfortunate, but things on the mac Just Work and I no longer spend hours a month googling how to fix Linux rabbit holes.

(05-24-2015, 01:31 PM)rapidacid Wrote:
(05-24-2015, 07:14 AM)rayray Wrote: Do any of you guys run a stand alone Linux PC? Or do you partition the HD for Windows and Linux OS's for a dual boot?

I've run Linux on the desktop since about 1998 on pretty beefy machines. Never been a gamer tho so can't comment on that aspect. A couple years ago I got a MacBook Air and I pretty much don't use the desktop anymore. It's unfortunate, but things on the mac Just Work and I no longer spend hours a month googling how to fix Linux rabbit holes.

That's what I'm afraid of, spending hours online trying to figure something out because gawd knows what happened while using Linux. At least with a PC if something happens and I can't figure it out help is just a phone call or a 20 minute drive lol. Yea, all my siblings are pretty much Apple, and they do make a really nice product but I'm just so use to Windows based machines and I love my Lenovo.