Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4 Average
What Did You Buy Today?
I added to my HP holding today @ 86.48
(10-15-2014, 09:20 PM)earthtodan Wrote:
(10-15-2014, 12:18 PM)Dividend Watcher Wrote: For you youngsters, I'd seriously be looking at PH, LECO or VMI here. All are low yield but steady, long term growers so there's time to compound your way to wealth. PH especially.

I looked at PH but I couldn't find a story to distinguish them from the rest of the industrial conglomerates. What's the investment thesis? Maybe they deserve a thread?

God I wish I had a pile of cash laying around; 25% gain on PH in just a couple weeks and almost a 40% gain on AMGN without even breathing heavy over the last month or so. Angry

Both would've been nice long-term holds with the cap gains just icing on the cake.

C'est la vie.
=====

“While the dividend itself is merely a rearrangement of equity, over time it's more like owning an apple tree. The tree grows the apples back again and again and again, and the theoretical value of the tree doesn't change just because of when the apples are about to fall.” - earthtodan

(10-29-2014, 11:16 AM)Dividend Watcher Wrote:
(10-15-2014, 09:20 PM)earthtodan Wrote:
(10-15-2014, 12:18 PM)Dividend Watcher Wrote: For you youngsters, I'd seriously be looking at PH, LECO or VMI here. All are low yield but steady, long term growers so there's time to compound your way to wealth. PH especially.

I looked at PH but I couldn't find a story to distinguish them from the rest of the industrial conglomerates. What's the investment thesis? Maybe they deserve a thread?

God I wish I had a pile of cash laying around; 25% gain on PH in just a couple weeks and almost a 40% gain on AMGN without even breathing heavy over the last month or so. Angry

Both would've been nice long-term holds with the cap gains just icing on the cake.

C'est la vie.

With gains like that possible maybe you should be on Wall St Wink
Earthtodan : What did you get this for (SAFRY) and what was the size of your small portion... I've been wanting to invest in this company too, but was hesitating to do it till I heard back from one of you pros :-)

(10-28-2014, 10:22 AM)earthtodan Wrote: Added to SNY and NVO on the dips this morning. Apparently there's pricing pressure in the insulin space, which is resulting in pricing pressure on the stocks.

Also started a small position in Safran (SAFRY), a French maker of jet engines and other aerospace and defense products. They have a longstanding partnership with GE, so they're like a concentrated play on GE Aviation. I've been looking at them for a while and finally pulled the trigger.

http://www.safran-group.com/IMG/pdf/Inve...e_2014.pdf
Was going to buy ULVR today but it's already up 2%.
Going to wait until Monday and then buy
Lewys, what's your investment time frame? I don't see how a few % points will dictate your decision on buying a business for the long term. Sure it makes you feel better, but in the grand scheme of things its irrelevant. You can always average down

-My .02
In the past ten days I initiated half-positions in CBRL and GSK.
The market gave us a gift in October with a minor pull-back, energy and industrials were hit the hardest. I added the following partial positions to my portfolios: BP, OXY, COP, CVX, XOM, IBM, BDX, DOV, JNJ, KO, EXC, SWK, V, MSFT, OKE, LLY, BOH, FEZ, DIA, SPY, XLE, MMM, and DUK. My cash strategy is to hold 10%-25% cash in each portfolio so I have available cash for purchasing additional shares of my favorite stocks on dips like we experienced in October. Because I periodically sell partial positions when I reach a target profit, the cash is quickly replenished. My annual trading income exceeds my annual dividend income on most of my stock positions.

M$$I
(11-02-2014, 04:57 PM)CritMass Wrote: In the past ten days I initiated half-positions in CBRL and GSK.

I also own GSK
It's a great buy
SLB is getting hammered today.... Still waiting for it to come down to 95 to initiate a position.... Any ideas ?
(11-03-2014, 03:56 PM)saimash Wrote: SLB is getting hammered today.... Still waiting for it to come down to 95 to initiate a position.... Any ideas ?

If you're going to hold this long I don't see the significance of it being $1 over $95?
I bought Conoco Phillips. It looks like it's a great value right now. I also averaged down on IBM, but only a small amount (literally 3 shares).