Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What I Am Buying Today.
(05-15-2024, 06:56 AM)NilesMike Wrote:
(05-01-2024, 03:02 PM)NilesMike Wrote: Bought ARCC @ open 20.55

Down opening after good earnings 9.34% dividend yield, yes sir may I have another!

Finished the hat trick at yesterday's open.
MAIN @ 48.95
HTGC @ 19.09

8.33% average yields

Hey, a like-minded fellow!  Those 3 are great.  You might also be interested in BXSL and OMF.  Those are my "big 5" div payers.
(05-15-2024, 05:43 AM)rayray Wrote:
(05-13-2024, 08:20 PM)ken-do-nim Wrote:
(05-13-2024, 07:20 PM)rayray Wrote: GOOGL & ZTS

Never heard of Zoetis before.  I take it you like their pipeline?

it was a spinoff from Pfizer, it's also the largest healthcare company for pets and livestock

It's a small position, but i plan on adding to it through time--what i like to do is have my holdings spread out between different accounts with a miniumum investment of 5k--so the goal would to have 5k dollars of ZTS in each main account: brokerage, rollover ira and roth (i actually have 2 brokerages, 1 rollover ira, 1 roth and kplan--the wife has 1 rollover and 1 403b plan) if i really like the stock i'll have it in all the accounts except for the company sponsored plans cause i can't lol

it makes it easier to monitor/manage the accounts plus i think 15k is a nice sum to see a reasonable gain but not to overreact or get too upset if it drops for some reason

sometimes i have to force myself to buy something other than tech

now if i really like a stock i like to have at minimum of 50k but i do add to my winners and let them run--my weakness is trimming, i do trim but not often--it's why i have several stocks over 100k--i shouldn't but do

but mostly the goal is to have holdings in the 15 to 20k dollar range and go from there

There's lots of topics here we haven't really covered in the forum.  

First, on how many people buy the same things in different accounts.  For a while, I was trying to buy different things for the ROTH vs the taxable, until I realized I didn't have that many winners :Smile  I have 3 accounts outside the 401k: Taxable, ROTH, HSA.  The only equity I have in all 3 is Eli Lilly.  Despite it's sky high PE, I trust it the most to maintain its value.  I could be wrong on that point of course, as with anything.  But both my taxable and ROTH have the same core of NAIL, TECL, SOXL, NVDA, and LLY, just in different amounts.  For some reason, even though AVGO is my favorite stock, it has yet to appear in the ROTH. 

Another topic is how big do we let positions get?  Naturally, with a portfolio in the millions, you have to allow for larger positions sizes.  If I had a $3M portfolio, I'm pretty sure AVGO would be at least $250k of it.  If you have a rule like no positions over $100k, then you have to keep adding more & more positions as your portfolio grows.  I don't plan to do that.  Once my taxable portfolio is about $3 million, I will probably have $750k in OMF alone to generate nice qualified dividends to live off of.

Here's my current nomenclature for position sizes:

$1 - $500 watch position
$501 - $2,000 starter position
$2,001 - $5,000 small position
$5,001 - $8,000 normal position
$8,001 - $12,000 large position
$12,001 - $18,000 major position
$18,001+ principal position

According to what you wrote, $15k would either be a small or normal position in your holdings.  Hopefully I will get there some day Smile

Right now, my principal positions are:
  •  (company stock is currently only in options, not actual shares)
  • NAIL
  • TECL
  • SOXL
  • NVDA
  • AVGO
  • LLY
And Super Micro is close.

EDIT: And Super Micro just made the list Smile

Down opening after good earnings 9.34% dividend yield, yes sir may I have another!

MAIN @ 48.95
HTGC @ 19.09

8.33% average yields

These are good, but i feel like your buying these and chasing yield at the high. Both are at a 5 year high. If you wait better buying opportunities will come. If you look at the charts they both correct significantly over the past few years. Just an observation. STAG is a name I own. At least this one hasn’t seen a high yet lol 
(05-15-2024, 12:06 PM)stockguru Wrote:

MAIN @ 48.95
HTGC @ 19.09

8.33% average yields

These are good, but i feel like your buying these and chasing yield at the high. Both are at a 5 year high. If you wait better buying opportunities will come. If you look at the charts they both correct significantly over the past few years. Just an observation. STAG is a name I own. At least this one hasn’t seen a high yet lol 

I own MAIN, HTGC and STAG. All have done very well for me. I bough most during the pandemic and near the lows. I do agree that on those monthly dividend names you are buying at the peak. Plenty of buying opportunities will come. But when you see an 8% yield your first instinct is buy. Who knows with the way the market is right now they may go up another 10% lol

I have to say its hard finding any buys right now in the market. And when that's the case, I start trimming. So today I did just that

I did buy some monthly dividend names that trade in a $1 radius and pay out 5-6% yield. These are the kind of things I'm investing in for the rest of year and into 2025. Also opened up a SOFI account and parked cash there and earn neatly 5% a month.
(05-15-2024, 07:21 AM)ken-do-nim Wrote:
(05-15-2024, 05:43 AM)rayray Wrote:
(05-13-2024, 08:20 PM)ken-do-nim Wrote:
(05-13-2024, 07:20 PM)rayray Wrote: GOOGL & ZTS

Never heard of Zoetis before.  I take it you like their pipeline?

it was a spinoff from Pfizer, it's also the largest healthcare company for pets and livestock

It's a small position, but i plan on adding to it through time--what i like to do is have my holdings spread out between different accounts with a miniumum investment of 5k--so the goal would to have 5k dollars of ZTS in each main account: brokerage, rollover ira and roth (i actually have 2 brokerages, 1 rollover ira, 1 roth and kplan--the wife has 1 rollover and 1 403b plan) if i really like the stock i'll have it in all the accounts except for the company sponsored plans cause i can't lol

it makes it easier to monitor/manage the accounts plus i think 15k is a nice sum to see a reasonable gain but not to overreact or get too upset if it drops for some reason

sometimes i have to force myself to buy something other than tech

now if i really like a stock i like to have at minimum of 50k but i do add to my winners and let them run--my weakness is trimming, i do trim but not often--it's why i have several stocks over 100k--i shouldn't but do

but mostly the goal is to have holdings in the 15 to 20k dollar range and go from there

There's lots of topics here we haven't really covered in the forum.  

First, on how many people buy the same things in different accounts.  For a while, I was trying to buy different things for the ROTH vs the taxable, until I realized I didn't have that many winners :Smile  I have 3 accounts outside the 401k: Taxable, ROTH, HSA.  The only equity I have in all 3 is Eli Lilly.  Despite it's sky high PE, I trust it the most to maintain its value.  I could be wrong on that point of course, as with anything.  But both my taxable and ROTH have the same core of NAIL, TECL, SOXL, NVDA, and LLY, just in different amounts.  For some reason, even though AVGO is my favorite stock, it has yet to appear in the ROTH. 

Another topic is how big do we let positions get?  Naturally, with a portfolio in the millions, you have to allow for larger positions sizes.  If I had a $3M portfolio, I'm pretty sure AVGO would be at least $250k of it.  If you have a rule like no positions over $100k, then you have to keep adding more & more positions as your portfolio grows.  I don't plan to do that.  Once my taxable portfolio is about $3 million, I will probably have $750k in OMF alone to generate nice qualified dividends to live off of.

Here's my current nomenclature for position sizes:

$1 - $500 watch position
$501 - $2,000 starter position
$2,001 - $5,000 small position
$5,001 - $8,000 normal position
$8,001 - $12,000 large position
$12,001 - $18,000 major position
$18,001+ principal position

According to what you wrote, $15k would either be a small or normal position in your holdings.  Hopefully I will get there some day Smile

Right now, my principal positions are:
  •  (company stock is currently only in options, not actual shares)
  • NAIL
  • TECL
  • SOXL
  • NVDA
  • AVGO
  • LLY
And Super Micro is close.

EDIT: And Super Micro just made the list Smile

once i get to 5k, then the goal is 15k but sometimes it takes me a while to get there or i think the stock might not do well for a while and i take my time or i'm not confident i'll hold the stock--like DIS or SBUX

say i have the position up to 15k and then it grows to 20 to 25k--theoretically the plan is to trim and invest that 5 to 10k into another stock or stocks and get that position back to 15k
(05-15-2024, 04:10 PM)rayray Wrote: once i get to 5k, then the goal is 15k but sometimes it takes me a while to get there or i think the stock might not do well for a while and i take my time or i'm not confident i'll hold the stock--like DIS or SBUX

say i have the position up to 15k and then it grows to 20 to 25k--theoretically the plan is to trim and invest that 5 to 10k into another stock or stocks and get that position back to 15k

Hmmm... the problem with this algorithm is that it requires you to continually seek out new positions to invest in, and eventually you may dilute the quality of your portfolio.  I've always thought that as my portfolio grows, my "acceptable position size" would grow along with it so I could limit my holdings to ~ 30 or so.
STAG only has a yield of 4.08%, so that's in a different class of equity altogether.  

I agree that ARCC and HTGC look a bit high, but MAIN is a proven grower (228% all time) and the price looks in line with its overall growth curve.
(05-16-2024, 07:39 AM)ken-do-nim Wrote: STAG only has a yield of 4.08%, so that's in a different class of equity altogether.  

I agree that ARCC and HTGC look a bit high, but MAIN is a proven grower (228% all time) and the price looks in line with its overall growth curve.

You’re looking at it all wrong. MAIN is only up that high because of the run this year. Without that big run it’s a different story. Which if why buying it now at or near a high; your chasing it. Just look at a 5 year chart. If normally trades in a range of $30-$40. So at these levels you’re over paying for yield. 

A lot of people on here, just buy buy buy, but have no patience waiting for a dip Wink

Sooner or later this market will correct and I can add MAIN under $40 and some other monthly etf’s or stocks. This is just my opinion. I just don’t like chasing names just for yield.
(05-16-2024, 08:29 AM)stockguru Wrote:
(05-16-2024, 07:39 AM)ken-do-nim Wrote: STAG only has a yield of 4.08%, so that's in a different class of equity altogether.  

You’re looking at it all wrong. MAIN is only up that high because of the run this year. Without that big run it’s a different story. Which if why buying it now at or near a high; your chasing it. Just look at a 5 year chart. If normally trades in a range of $30-$40. So at these levels you’re over paying for yield. 

A lot of people on here, just buy buy buy, but have no patience waiting for a dip Wink

Sooner or later this market will correct and I can add MAIN under $40 and some other monthly etf’s or stocks. This is just my opinion. I just don’t like chasing names just for yield.

I see a clear upward trajectory through the life of this stock.

[Image: 77b4be88-814c-4c6a-a02b-b970cb05f034.png]
(05-16-2024, 08:29 AM)stockguru Wrote:

My chart isn't posting but resistance at 45.73 (set 11/21) was broken 3/24 and off we go to another leg up.
Well MAIN in a week just lost an entire year of dividends lol Wink

I still own 6300 shares of MAIN at at $21.60 a share but began trimming above $51 last week. I will look to add those shares back under $42. No rush to get back in yet. Like some have said. With a little patience you will get a buying opportunity.

I put proceeds into MINT. Pays over 5% yield. Its trades in a .30 cent range. Vey safe way to build income

Some on here have same mentality. Market way too rich now. I'm more inclined to take the safe 5% while I wait for better opportunities.
Loaded more oxy