Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Conservative option strategies, what did you buy or sell today?
(04-22-2022, 05:48 PM)NilesMike Wrote:
(04-22-2022, 08:56 AM)fenders53 Wrote: Overvalued SPX has been going on for years so I guess I don't know.  Seems it was more overvalued a quarter ago.

I didn't mean overvalued, just a high priced underlying.
Gotcha

And I am now extra glad I took some profits.  I rolled a few positions forward for a week so I can decide if I wish to be assigned, but it was easier knowing I could have watched a lot of profitable trades melt in 1 1/2 market sessions.  Not to mention I have more cash in case this continues a few more days.
I was assigned with a few tickers last week so sold AMD, OXY and DVN call today at cost. Nice premium and I hope I can get rid of all shares by the end of the week.
(05-02-2022, 10:52 AM)Dividendwayfarer Wrote: I was assigned with a few tickers last week so sold AMD, OXY and DVN call today at cost. Nice premium and I hope I can get rid of all shares by the end of the week.

OXY and DVN will probably have a decent week.  AMD is a wildcard. I have a put open on that one too. I rolled it last week and now I get to deal with earnings. I am OK will holding it but PC chips suddenly got iffy.

Most of my put sells are fairly boring but my excitement for the week will be ABNB.  They report in the morning.  The ticker has been kind to me but this time, well we shall see.

And if you want to play with oil XLE is less risky. Premiums are less too of course.
(05-02-2022, 04:58 PM)fenders53 Wrote:
(05-02-2022, 10:52 AM)Dividendwayfarer Wrote: I was assigned with a few tickers last week so sold AMD, OXY and DVN call today at cost. Nice premium and I hope I can get rid of all shares by the end of the week.

OXY and DVN will probably have a decent week.  AMD is a wildcard. I have a put open on that one too. I rolled it last week and now I get to deal with earnings. I am OK will holding it but PC chips suddenly got iffy.

Most of my put sells are fairly boring but my excitement for the week will be ABNB.  They report in the morning.  The ticker has been kind to me but this time, well we shall see.

And if you want to play with oil XLE is less risky.  Premiums are less too of course.
I think you are right as all my calls are in the red. That's ok as I want to get rid of the shares while making some money. I did trade XLE before. For puts, I generally rotate between tech (TSM, AMD, HPQ) and oil (XLE, EOG, DVN & OXY). I throw in some covered call on my long-term holdings (MRK, BBY, XOM, ABBV, TROW, etc) to juice up the yields.
It's good to have a basket of stocks you know. It's too late to do research after an option is in trouble. I have stocks in about six sector so I am less inclined to force a trade.

I had an incredible MAR-APR but I am turning it down this month with more conservative strikes. This market is skittish.
Anyone doing a 1-1-2 trade (buy, sell, sellX2) on futures. It may not sound conservative at first but I'm giving it a road test.

Using Micro ES futures.

Buy a put spread 3650/3620 for a debit of $3.50 ish

Sell 2 puts @ 2550 for $7.20 ish credit. $500 margin used.

Upshot is 3.60ish net credit if market stays above 3650, June expiration. If it goes to 3620, you keep your credit and the gain from 3650 long put.

Loses money below 2533 which 35+% below today's price. Currently 99% probability it expires OTM
(05-09-2022, 08:04 AM)NilesMike Wrote: Anyone doing a 1-1-2 trade (buy, sell,     sellX2) on futures. It may not sound conservative at first but I'm giving it a road test.

Using Micro ES futures.

Buy a put spread  3650/3620 for a debit of $3.50 ish

Sell 2 puts @ 2550 for $7.20 ish credit. $500 margin used.

Upshot is 3.60ish net credit if market stays above 3650, June expiration. If it goes to 3620, you keep your credit and the gain from 3650 long put.

Loses money below 2533 which 35+% below today's price. Currently 99% probability it expires OTM
Afraid to step out of my little box.  Only thing saving my entire port right now.  It some kind of miracle I am only a couple % off ATH.  Market is getting scary.
Not retiring for 7 years, just keep buying into mutual funds, mostly S&P and a few other larger cap funds as usual. Will focus more in 3-4 years but hopeful the market will decline a bit more so I have more time to buy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Order in for /MES JUL 22 (58 DTE)

+3590P
- 3560P

-2 2850P

19.00 Credit
Breakeven @2825 (Covid area) Full profit between 3590-3560@ expiration
STO

MO 17JUN 52.50 put for .89

If it gets put to me, dividend of .90 June 14
Started a position in wbd
(06-01-2022, 09:42 AM)NilesMike Wrote: STO