Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What are your winners & losers today?
(01-07-2022, 05:04 PM)fenders53 Wrote: Good attitude.  My account is level.  I am buying tech daily but missed most of the dip.  We'll see how it goes.  Still about 1 % off ath and going nowhere for now.

Not buying much tech. Don't need that volatility or headaches going forward lol. But lets define tech. When I say tech I mean the ones who don't pay a dividend and are way down the totem pole. I'm only going to be in top tier and the ones who have barely any competition. Less then a 30 PE and low debt a biggie for me as well

Names like CSCO, MSFT, APPL (but way too expensive now) AMAT, AVGO, TXN (almost at buy point) , ORCL (buy zone) HPQ (nice breakout), STX (Nice breakout but near my sell target), 

If it's not on that list I'm not owning. No fangs required  Big Grin

Wait to inflation hits. Tech stocks will suffer and value will double.  Watch and learn  Big Grin
(01-08-2022, 12:07 AM)MrFortune Wrote:
(01-07-2022, 05:04 PM)fenders53 Wrote: Good attitude.  My account is level.  I am buying tech daily but missed most of the dip.  We'll see how it goes.  Still about 1 % off ath and going nowhere for now.

Not buying much tech. Don't need that volatility or headaches going forward lol. But lets define tech. When I say tech I mean the ones who don't pay a dividend and are way down the totem pole. I'm only going to be in top tier and the ones who have barely any competition. Less then a 30 PE and low debt a biggie for me as well

Names like CSCO, MSFT, APPL (but way too expensive now) AMAT, AVGO, TXN (almost at buy point) , ORCL (buy zone) HPQ (nice breakout), STX (Nice breakout but near my sell target), 

Wait to inflation hits. Tech stocks will suffer and value will double.  Watch and learn  Big Grin

We think alike; those are my tech stocks!  Except I got out of CSCO last year; one of my errors, and I never looked into AMAT.  I also have TSM and ASML but not too much of either.
I like the low valuation FAANGs in moderation. FB and GOOGL have low PEs but more importantly low PEG ratios. I have a few shares of AMZN but it would take a good dip before I would add. I get enough of the high valued tech in my index ETFs.

I intend to stay more diversified going forward without owning a crazy long list of individual tickers which accomplished nothing special for me.

Back on topic I'm still down just over 1% from ATH. I cashed out most of my speculative stuff in DEC and I missed the first few days of he sip getting the cash deployed, so it won't be so easy to avoid losses now should this continue. I actually think we are due for a bounce but we'll see how long that last. I think QQQ and Russell 2000 are due to have a few good days anyway. I'm a whole lot more interested in those two indexes these days. Smile
(01-08-2022, 12:07 AM)MrFortune Wrote:

You talking to me young man?  Smile  Yes and no.  If they are in debt higher rates and inflation are poison to stock prices.  Solid tech companies are also capable of growing MUCH faster than most of my value stocks and that matters eventually.  Soooo my official conclusion is I don't know in the short term and I own them both.  That has always worked well enough in the past.    IMO not being diversified is what will get you hurt when most everything quality is too expensive.
Wow I was actually positive today, by a little. STX, CURE, ORCL led the way.

I'm glad I didn't look when the Nasdaq was -300 points earlier.
Good for you. I track enough of your stocks to know this morning was bloody. I have been expecting the NAS to bounce soon but it sure didn't look like today was the day. I am within a few hundred of even. I never know for sure as all the options I sell don't update accurately unless they are traded. BMY was my biggest gainer and I own quite a few shares.
(01-10-2022, 05:21 PM)fenders53 Wrote: Good for you.  I track enough of your stocks to know this morning was bloody.  I have been expecting the NAS to bounce soon but it sure didn't look like today was the day.  I am within a few hundred of even. I never know for sure as all the options I sell don't update accurately unless they are traded.  BMY was my biggest gainer and I own quite a few shares.

Within a few hundred of even, nice.

In the bloodletting last May, my account dropped $40k.  As of Friday, I have now experienced a similar drop of $40k (here I'm only talking about E*Trade).  So when things went very bloody earlier today, I was admittedly starting to get worried because it would have meant this was a worse situation than before.  But maybe when the market drops due to inflation, it only goes so far.  Hopefully we are at bottom.  Famous last words.
(01-03-2022, 06:49 PM)ken-do-nim Wrote: Good start to 2022.  TSM, which I brought back with a small position after getting out too soon, got the win.  SHW took the loss.

Also, it was only a couple weeks ago when I did my top 10 non-ETF ranking, which had the top 5 as:

1. AVGO
2. STX
3. ORCL
4. MSFT
5. OXLC

It now is:

1. AVGO
2. STX
3. OXLC
4. ORCL
5. MSFT

Kind of entertaining Smile  OXLC has so far been second to only RQI in my high yielders for price appreciation, but with double the latter's yield.

Just because it is entertaining, I noticed that MSFT fell out of my top 5.  HTGC replaced it.  It's actually not even that close.  MSFT really tanked.
MSFT run has been a little much for a huge company. It can't be immune from sanity forever. I really do prefer my stocks just grind higher for tears.

You are as lot more diversified now. Better than 95% tech anyway. Smile

I have my port close enough to right now. It would take an extreme down market to stress me, and I have enough tech to not miss all the fun if it happens to run.

I really do wish the FED would just commit to a few rate hikes with dates. There is no doubt rates need to rise some so just be done with it. Businesses could adjust and move forward.
That was an enjoyable day. I think I finally have enough tech to enjoy the risk on days and still have a low enough beta port to suit my needs. My oil is running wild again. The AMD puts I sold have made a strong recovery after awful entry timing. Nothing else remarkable. I think the sector swings may be even more frequent this year. That makes it easier to find a place to add shares. That was often a struggle when my port was 90% defensive.
Well, January is shaping up to be a losing month. With 2 full years of investing in the books with my current port, here are my statistics on winning vs. losing months:

Taxable account
2020: 4 losing months (Feb, March, September, October)
2021: 1 losing month (September)

ROTH
2020: 4 losing months (Feb, March, September, October)
2021: 2 losing months (May, September)
I don't even know monthly data without some work. I do know about 75% of my upside in 2021 came in 5 months mostly early in the year. That's kind of typical actually. They warn not to market time because a lot of gains happen in only 10 days of the year. That sounds accurate to me. Just a handful of days where all the indexes are up maybe 2.5% or better at the same time.

I am just guessing of course but we have some more January's coming this year. Zero real conviction to a theme. Just traders being traders. Market can barely go half a day without a sector rotation.