Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What are your winners & losers today?
I believe you are probably correct. Businesses and investors will accept their reality and position themselves. If business can't function with long rates at 3-4% then half the stock markets gains in the past decades would not have occurred.

Who knows if we have a real pullback but my crystal ball says we better be prepared for more days like yesterday. Straight up 4-6 months in a row is over for now. If you are prepared these are the days you make port adjustments. I just 9 months trying to adjust and there weren't many opportunities. And Ken I am not talking about cashing out a good stock that just suffered a harsh dip.
2018 was a down year too (though I didn't have much aside from the 401k then). It happens. I pulled out of a lot of stocks in 2021 that I regret now. Learning year. I have full confidence in my current positions for the long term, and I am eager to add to them and add back in some of the names I sold too soon, assuming the prices haven't run too high. Right now I think increasing HPQ, CVS, and BX are my priorities, but I won't have new money until March at the earliest so we'll see.
(01-06-2022, 10:20 AM)ken-do-nim Wrote: 2018 was a down year too (though I didn't have much aside from the 401k then).  It happens.  I pulled out of a lot of stocks in 2021 that I regret now.  Learning year.  I have full confidence in my current positions for the long term, and I am eager to add to them and add back in some of the names I sold too soon, assuming the prices haven't run too high.  Right now I think increasing HPQ, CVS, and BX are my priorities, but I won't have new money until March at the earliest so we'll see.
The bad years were certainly easier for me to endure when the majority of my assets were in indexes.  You knew they would recover eventually.  I love owning individual stocks but it has some disadvantages.  It's also easier to direct new money exactly where you want to.  You are also still accumulating so you will get some chances to buy low.  2000-2009 was pretty much a lost decade but you could double your account anyway.
HUM my 2nd largest holding down $88 today WTH... $44k loss

I'm done with the market forever; after today never seen a company this size drop so fast total rigged job.

My wife works for Humana and there doing great. Small hick-up in Medicare growth. This is not tech company and has a 16 PE for heaven's sake

I have no choice now to hold and maybe sell a fund to buy more. This is why people hate the market and refuse to invest. BS they way this stock was down this big!! Crooks in control and they can do whatever they want. I'm sure the big wigs shorted yesterday knowing this would happen. Yes I'm pissed. Can you tell lol
(01-06-2022, 05:09 PM)poneyboy Wrote: HUM my 2nd largest holding down $88 today WTH... $44k loss

I'm done with the market forever; after today never seen a company this size drop so fast total rigged job.

My wife works for Humana and there doing great. Small hick-up in Medicare growth. This is not tech company and has a 16 PE for heaven's sake

I  have no choice now to hold and maybe sell a fund to buy more. This is why people hate the market and refuse to invest. BS they way this stock was down this big!! Crooks in control and they can do whatever they want. I'm sure the big wigs shorted yesterday knowing this would happen. Yes I'm pissed. Can you tell lol
You do seem upset.  Smile

Sorry it happened and maybe not what you want to hear right now, but it may bottom by tomorrow.  If they are doing great it will be back soon.  A 20% dip on a miss or soft guidance has gotten pretty normal lately.   

Don't mean to brag but my port was up about 100 bucks today.  Smile
(01-06-2022, 05:09 PM)poneyboy Wrote: HUM my 2nd largest holding down $88 today WTH... $44k loss

I  have no choice now to hold and maybe sell a fund to buy more. This is why people hate the market and refuse to invest. BS they way this stock was down this big!! Crooks in control and they can do whatever they want. I'm sure the big wigs shorted yesterday knowing this would happen. Yes I'm pissed. Can you tell lol

Oh man sorry to hear that. That sucks. 

That stock got slammed way too much in my opinion today. Must have been a lot of margin call to go down that much. I dont remember another time a stock this big and undervalued got hit so hard. I'm sure it will come back. I have on my watch list now. 

This is why the most shares I will own in any company is 100 shares to limit my risk. Although I would have been down $8830 in HUM which is still a heck of a lot 

I wish you luck and hope it comes back for you..

On another note I may buy 1 share of NFLX if it goes down more tomorrow. Never owned and always wanted too. 45 PE seems cheap now  Big Grin
(01-06-2022, 05:24 PM)fenders53 Wrote:

Sorry it happened and maybe not what you want to hear right now, but it may bottom by tomorrow.  If they are doing great it will be back soon.  A 20% dip on a miss or soft guidance has gotten pretty normal lately.   

Don't mean to brag but my port was up about 100 bucks today.  Smile

You should be shoot with that comment  Big Grin Kick a man when he down why don't ya  Undecided

If Fenders says it bottoms tomorrow I'm going all in lol. JK. I may add like 15 shares  Cool
(01-06-2022, 05:26 PM)stockguru Wrote:

That stock got slammed way too much in my opinion today. Must have been a lot of margin call to go down that much. I dont remember another time a stock this big and undervalued got hit so hard. I'm sure it will come back. I have on my watch list now. 

This is why the most shares I will own in any company is 100 shares to limit my risk. Although I would have been down $8830 in HUM which is still a heck of a lot 

On another note I may buy 1 share of NFLX if it goes down more tomorrow. Never owned and always wanted too. 45 PE seems cheap now  Big Grin
How can you not like a stock with only a 45 PE.  Smile  I'm trying to start a position in AMD and same PE deal.  Down 20% so it must be cheap.  
Smile

I hear you on spreading it out.  I can't t really stick to 100 shares anymore but if it comes anywhere near 10% of my port it is going to be something very sound that already corrected extremely hard, and I would still worry.  I'm not saying HUM was a dangerous stock but that is just way too much money for me to lose on a 20% dip, because they aren't all that rare when the market gets skittish.  That was a tech stock type dip though.
(01-06-2022, 05:29 PM)stockguru Wrote:
(01-06-2022, 05:24 PM)fenders53 Wrote:

Don't mean to brag but my port was up about 100 bucks today.  Smile

You should be shoot with that comment  Big Grin Kick a man when he down why don't ya  Undecided

If Fenders says it bottoms tomorrow I'm going all in lol. JK. I may add like 15 shares  Cool
I'm just here planning where I am going out to eat tomorrow with my hundred bucks.   Big Grin just checked and my boat account is down $7 so I only got $93. Might leave the wife home. Smile
(01-06-2022, 05:26 PM)stockguru Wrote:

Why would you express it as a share count instead of a dollar value?  I can only dream of having 100 shares of AVGO at its $637 price tag, but I already have 100 shares of ORCL, currently at $86, but my BroadCom dollar value is higher.
Another bad day, but the silver lining is that my company stock stabilized. If the rest of my targets continue to fall and it doesn't, then 2022 will go down as my "load up" year. Performance can wait until I'm done shopping Smile
Good attitude. My account is level. I am buying tech daily but missed most of the dip. We'll see how it goes. Still about 1 % off ath and going nowhere for now.