Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What are your winners & losers today?
(12-15-2021, 04:23 PM)ken-do-nim Wrote: ... and just like that, I had my 2nd best day of the year, with ye old leveraged port up 5.92%.  

Except ... it's not true, because if you count company stock, today was pretty bad.
Oh I knew you would come around to play today.  Chips killed it.  

I entertain you on this thread most investors here hate.  You owe me two updates a week, for better or worse stock buddy.  Smile  

I am still down about 1 1/2% off ATH and I am damned thankful it's not -15% because the wider market is not thriving.  It's not shocking my defensive stocks are doing fine, but I have interest sensitive stocks that are running and that makes no sense.
(12-15-2021, 04:32 PM)fenders53 Wrote:
(12-15-2021, 04:23 PM)ken-do-nim Wrote: ... and just like that, I had my 2nd best day of the year, with ye old leveraged port up 5.92%.  

Except ... it's not true, because if you count company stock, today was pretty bad.
Oh I knew you would come around to play today.  Chips killed it.  

I entertain you on this thread most investors here hate.  You owe me two updates a week, for better or worse stock buddy.  Smile  

I am still down about 1 1/2% off ATH and I am damned thankful it's not -15% because the wider market is not thriving.  It's not shocking my defensive stocks are doing fine, but I have interest sensitive stocks that are running and that makes no sense.

Sure :Smile My port is pretty much built for entertainment anyway.  It seems like days where the change is under 2% either way are far and few lately.  My port needs to go up 2.1% to reach it's ATH.  If, fingers crossed, December ends up being an 'up' month, then the Taxable will have only had 1 down month this year, and the ROTH 2.

Glad to hear your port overall is doing well.
I am at -2.1% off ATH. I'm not so sure DEC will be an up month for the market but maybe up from today. I think there is a lot of money on the sidelines currently. Nowhere else to invest so I think they will be back. Hyper valuation may take a long time to be back in style though. That's not a tragedy. Stocks aren't supposed go up 50% every year.
My port is down the same dollar amount as the huge May (?) drop when inflation first reared its ugly head - about $40k. It took about 3 weeks for my port to recover then; I'm hoping by mid January I'm back to being near my ATH again but I accept it may take longer. Obviously there's no rush, and I don't think any of my dividend payments are in danger.

FWIW, of my triples, CURE is doing well (since pharma is doing well), and of the tech, TECL has held its value much better than SOXL or TQQQ. Of the singles, AVGO has kept its value the best. I came into the year thinking BroadCom should be my top stock, and I'm coming out of it thinking BroadCom is my best stock.
I am just going to expect the market to wander aimlessly up and down until some time passes for FED moves and Covid to pass again. I am invested enough to enjoy any uptick, and ready to buy more tech if I find deals. TBH I wish the rest of FAANG would pull back and get it over with. Until then QQQ is overvalued if rates actually rise.
Dividend Paying Stocks, Dividends and Options.

At 73, I am a very conservative investor, but I learned options before learning about dividend paying stocks.

Using cash secured Puts on stocks I would like to own and far out of the money Calls on stocks I own and I wish to keep - here are my results thru the end of November. Just a snapshot of the power of options as an investing tool...

Options: 53K
Dividends: 38K

Safe and Happy Holidays to everyone!
(12-20-2021, 07:11 PM)backroadbob Wrote: Dividend Paying Stocks, Dividends and Options.

At 73, I am a very conservative investor, but I learned options before learning about dividend paying stocks.

Using cash secured Puts on stocks I would like to own and far out of the money Calls on stocks I own and I wish to keep - here are my results thru the end of November. Just a snapshot of the power of options as an investing tool...

Options: 53K
Dividends: 38K

Safe and Happy Holidays to everyone!
That's my game.  It doesn't work perfectly every month but my dividends are chicken feed in comparison unless I grossly mistime the general direction of the market.  I get paid some when I only get it half right.  My option premiums are 3X my dividends and much of it was with very boring stocks that can't hurt you near as much as a tech stock in a down spin.
Moved post.
Oops, wrong thread. I will correct that later.
Lots of drama this month, but after today's session my Taxable and ROTH account balances are almost exactly what they were on Nov 30th.
I knew you'd be around today lol. Most of the pro traders will.be gone about now and return 2022. I am guessing amateur week might be volatile.
Well hopefully it will be volatile in a good way Smile Too much doom and gloom recently.