Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What are your winners & losers today?
(11-04-2021, 09:06 PM)ken-do-nim Wrote: Mixed emotions today.

On the one hand, my taxable account continues to take off like a rocket.  I've finally been proven right about semiconductors and SOXL; I just thought it wasn't going to happen until the middle of next year.

But Moderna ... mistake.  Ugh.  Nvidia had such an amazing day and the ROTH was still negative thanks to Moderna, Upstart, and Trade Desk.  Lesson learned.
Nobody here is doubting semis.  I think all of us own them.  We just hassle you because the 3X forever thing is sketchy at some point.  

I had another good day.  I hit another 100K milestone today in my largest account.  That's two in under a year which is decent considering as conservative as I am much of the time.  I can't count the third one because it was a Covid recovery bounce.
(11-04-2021, 09:26 PM)fenders53 Wrote:
(11-04-2021, 09:06 PM)ken-do-nim Wrote: Mixed emotions today.

On the one hand, my taxable account continues to take off like a rocket.  I've finally been proven right about semiconductors and SOXL; I just thought it wasn't going to happen until the middle of next year.

But Moderna ... mistake.  Ugh.  Nvidia had such an amazing day and the ROTH was still negative thanks to Moderna, Upstart, and Trade Desk.  Lesson learned.
Nobody here is doubting semis.  I think all of us own them.  We just hassle you because the 3X forever thing is sketchy at some point.  

I had another good day.  I hit another 100K milestone today in my largest account.  That's two in under a year which is decent considering as conservative as I am much of the time.  I can't count the third one because it was a Covid recovery bounce.

To be fair, holding triple leveraged funds has been the correct answer for the last 12 years straight.  Sure, someday it will be the wrong answer, no argument there.

Congrats on the milestones! Let 'em keep coming.
That sounds good but nobody here believes you could endure a 90% drawdown that lasts a long time.  We have that opinion because you constantly stress about stocks that dip 10% in the short term, and many times think of reason to dump them.

Do you know how many funds have been liquidated during bear markets?  I don't know either but it's a substantial number.  Leveraged funds can and do just go away.  Sometime when I am bored I'll find some examples.
(11-04-2021, 10:01 PM)fenders53 Wrote: That sounds good but nobody here believes you could endure a 90% drawdown that lasts a long time.  We have that opinion because you constantly stress about stocks that dip 10% in the short term, and many times think of reason to dump them.

Do you know how many funds have been liquidated during bear markets?  I don't know either but it's a substantial number.  Leveraged funds can and do just go away.  Sometime when I am bored I'll find some examples.

That's true.  Hopefully COF will be a good learning experience for me.

I'm much more confident in my triples.  I remember the day earlier this year when SOXL fell to $28 and divmenow was saying it would fall to single digits.  I didn't even think of bailing.  And the reason I was confident was that the only news item was rising inflation.  I read the news very carefully that period and I didn't buy the correlation that rising inflation would sink tech stocks.  Hopefully, when the next major market crash comes and I read a news item like "Bear Stearns closes down" or "Factories in Wuhan shut due to super-virus" I'll go to cash right away.
Rising rates will in fact hurt earnings of companies that are leveraged up.  Rates have not risen, and reality is we dont know if they will actually rise, when they rise or by how much.  Get used to the market tormenting over that.  The market launched because rates dropped.  They will have to go up slowly or institutions will dump shares in an instant and ask questions later.  The FED knows that.
QCOM/ARCB/NVDA/MSFT

have been really good lately

MRVL/KR/AMAT/NKE/SOFI

have been doing fairly well too
(11-05-2021, 05:27 AM)rayray Wrote: QCOM/ARCB/NVDA/MSFT

MRVL/KR/AMAT/NKE/SOFI

I never dreamed KR would ever make this list.  That's one I gave up on when I finally got a profit.
(11-05-2021, 06:03 AM)fenders53 Wrote:

MRVL/KR/AMAT/NKE/SOFI

I never dreamed KR would ever make this list.  That's one I gave up on when I finally got a profit.

KR

average annual return last 10 years

15.85% with reinvested dividends

14.99% without reinvesting dividends

last split was 2015
(11-07-2021, 11:29 AM)rayray Wrote:

MRVL/KR/AMAT/NKE/SOFI

KR

last split was 2015
They were just flat when I was following them. Industry margins are brutal so they probably won't make my buy list.  Well run though.
(11-07-2021, 12:54 PM)fenders53 Wrote:

MRVL/KR/AMAT/NKE/SOFI

KR

last split was 2015
They were just flat when I was following them. Industry margins are brutal so they probably won't make my buy list.  Well run though.

several years ago we were in Arizona and we were impressed with kroger lol
(11-07-2021, 07:47 PM)rayray Wrote:

MRVL/KR/AMAT/NKE/SOFI

KR

last split was 2015

KR isn't exactly a tourist attraction lol.  They are dominant in a number of regions.  We haven't had one here for 40 years but they thick in other places.
(11-07-2021, 08:09 PM)fenders53 Wrote:
(11-07-2021, 07:47 PM)rayray Wrote:
(11-05-2021, 06:03 AM)fenders53 Wrote: I never dreamed KR would ever make this list.  That's one I gave up on when I finally got a profit.

KR

last split was 2015

KR isn't exactly a tourist attraction lol.  They are dominant in a number of regions.  We haven't had one here for 40 years but they thick in other places.

all of us should be looking at...

FNILX

SPY

VUG

QQQ

PWV

let's take FNILX

fidelity ZERO large cap index fund

zero fees

YTD 25.35%

1yr 42.81%

3yr 22.15%