Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What are your winners & losers today?
(09-27-2021, 05:05 PM)fenders53 Wrote: Everything quality I can think of in the sector is down about 10% off highs.  I'd let LLY ride.

Come to think of it, LLY just suffers because I bought it more recently.  Let's look at my darling stock, TGT.   My initial March purchase is still up 33%, but my overall is down to just 10.56% because my August purchases are down hard.  If I'd only started buying it in August, I'd be fretting on that one too.
You've been chasing highs with a lot of your purchases the past year. When it doesn't work out perfectly then waiting through some consolidation is part of the deal. Maybe add some more shares later if they dip for real. Most of what you have been buying lately is quality so you can and should just ride it out. Eventually the market has a bad year and you get a chance to add lots of shares to the port that aren't overvalued. The one thing you can't do is dump quality stocks just because they corrected a few months after purchase. That will end in guaranteed underperformance for your port. Your other choice is index funds.

If you find a way to own 40 stocks and not be sitting on some short term losers at all times please share your secret. Smile
(09-27-2021, 07:25 PM)fenders53 Wrote: You've been chasing highs with a lot of your purchases the past year.  When it doesn't work out perfectly then waiting through some consolidation is part of the deal.  Maybe add some more shares later if they dip for real.  Most of what you have been buying lately is quality so you can and should just ride it out.  Eventually the market has a bad year and you get a chance to add lots of shares to the port that aren't overvalued.  The one thing you can't do is dump quality stocks just because they corrected a few months after purchase.  That will end in guaranteed underperformance for your port.  Your other choice is index funds.  

If you find a way to own 40 stocks and not be sitting on some short term losers at all times please share your secret. Smile

Yeah, I fell prey to too much fear-of-missing-out and jumped in way too late in the game on a bunch.  Or when one of my stocks skyrocketed, I bought more at the top.  I learned a lot this year.  Last year and up to this March I was spoiled because everything I bought just immediately went up afterwards.  

In hindsight, I should have been ramping up on the chip stocks this year while they weren't doing as much, because they are going to take off late 2022.  You heard it here first!
Yes, you have often payed fair value 24 months in advance. That can work for you if the company is a fast grower, or the market just stays frothy. If any small surprises come along for the Biz, or there is PE multiple contraction, you have set yourself up to be at break even or worse even years down the road. You just can't overpay for everything, or eventually you are going to underperform the market by a wide margin.

2020 was not normal. 2021 was closer but still well above average returns for most indexes. If you aren't more careful on your entries you are not going to enjoy a normal year when the market is flat or slightly down. Until the market corrects in earnest, even fair value is a little tough to find today. Only a few sectors are there.
I think I am down about .25% for the week. Not sure where the indexes are but probably worse than that. Solar and oil were strong. My utilities got beat up. Not losing is great but now I will have to decide when to jump back in with some cash or it won't mean much.
Wrong thread.
September & October have been horrible for my port; but I have to say it's comforting to take a long-term view that things will improve next year or the year after, and meanwhile enjoy the dividends.

But that said, my port has two bright spots:
1. OXLC - this yield trap has been steadily gaining in price and I'm up 9.20% overall now, which is amazing for a 10.71% yielder.
2. ORCL - damn I wish I'd bought more earlier this summer. While all the other tech stocks slide, this one keeps going up.
I'm aware enough of your holdings to know this has been rough.  Other than your highest PE stuff I think holding will work out.  IMO you need to have your risk management figured out by age 45 or so.  You know how to find growth.

Solar is working great for me but only because the swings are tradeable.  I have been hanging out within 10K of port ATH for months.  I definitely have some suffering sectors like pharma and utes.  Most of my good news remains selling options.
Yeah, at this time, in the taxable account, my biggest loss (not percentage, total loss) is actually Seagate (STX), and that's all chip shortage / supply chain. They will be absolutely fine when things sort themselves out, and in the meantime the yield is up to 3.28%.
A badly needed up day! SOXL and UPST were the big winners.

ORCL took a breather.
Added TSM. Good value here with the big dip.
(10-15-2021, 08:46 AM)stockguru Wrote: Added TSM. Good value here with the big dip.

Nice buy. I added some as well in the $113 area and took a new position in REGN

I have be buying all the great performers who have dipped big.  Few shares here and there and REGN fits that bill. Great PE and growth.