Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What I Am Buying Today.
(09-23-2021, 02:34 PM)ken-do-nim Wrote:
(09-23-2021, 01:32 PM)fenders53 Wrote:
(09-23-2021, 01:24 PM)ken-do-nim Wrote:
(09-23-2021, 12:40 PM)divmenow Wrote: Added a little more ADBE and FB. Just going small into tech as I barley have any lol. Buying the ones that are down from the highs lol

2022 may be the last year I have to contribute to my ROTH ira considering that legislation has been proposed to eliminate the backdoor ira conversion.  I'm thinking using the $6k conversion in February for Facebook is the way to go.
Long way to go before anything is settled.  Your income level isn't the primary target so there is hope most of our retirement tools will remain

As an aside, I was in a department store yesterday and my friend inquired about a pocketbook - $300!  Very humbling to think there are enough of my fellow Mass residents who make purchases at that price that such a store can stay in business.
Ladies purses can be spendy but they are important to them.  My wife is not extravagant but she really wanted a Coach purse when the brand first got hot.  I searched for a legit online seller and got a $450 retail purse for about $300.  That was twenty years ago.   She used it for 5 years and my teen daughter used it a few years after that.  If you are ever near a high end golf pro shop, or a fly fishing shop you need to visit it and see what men waste money on.  I'm cheap so I spend $250-$300 on a fly rod.  They weigh two ounces.  The latest astronaut grade composites will set you back $1000 so you can wade in a stream and catch two pound trout, and then release them.  My Alaskan bucket list trips cost me $5K.  Swatted mosquitos, smelled like a goat and caught a couple King Salmon. You can't take it with you so enjoy something.
(09-23-2021, 03:42 PM)fenders53 Wrote:
(09-23-2021, 02:34 PM)ken-do-nim Wrote:
(09-23-2021, 01:32 PM)fenders53 Wrote:
(09-23-2021, 01:24 PM)ken-do-nim Wrote:
(09-23-2021, 12:40 PM)divmenow Wrote: Added a little more ADBE and FB. Just going small into tech as I barley have any lol. Buying the ones that are down from the highs lol

2022 may be the last year I have to contribute to my ROTH ira considering that legislation has been proposed to eliminate the backdoor ira conversion.  I'm thinking using the $6k conversion in February for Facebook is the way to go.
Long way to go before anything is settled.  Your income level isn't the primary target so there is hope most of our retirement tools will remain

As an aside, I was in a department store yesterday and my friend inquired about a pocketbook - $300!  Very humbling to think there are enough of my fellow Mass residents who make purchases at that price that such a store can stay in business.
Ladies purses can be spendy but they are important to them.  My wife is not extravagant but she really wanted a Coach purse when the brand first got hot.  I searched for a legit online seller and got a $450 retail purse for about $300.  That was twenty years ago.   She used it for 5 years and my teen daughter used it a few years after that.  If you are ever near a high end golf pro shop, or a fly fishing shop you need to visit it and see what men waste money on.  I'm cheap so I spend $250-$300 on a fly rod.  They weigh two ounces.  The latest astronaut grade composites will set you back $1000 so you can wade in a stream and catch two pound trout, and then release them.  My Alaskan bucket list trips cost me $5K.  Swatted mosquitos, smelled like a goat and caught a couple King Salmon. You can't take it with you so enjoy something.

Wow!  Now, a trip costing $5k doesn't sound so bad.  I set aside $6k every year for the vacation fund, though the hope is that covers 1 large and 2-3 small trips.  It never occurred to me that fishing would be so expensive.  Golf, that makes sense.

I will never live a life of luxury.  If I reach that magic $3 million goal at age 60 and have a 4.5% yield (in dividend growers, so it can keep up with inflation), that's $135,000/year.  But given inflation between now and then, that would be like earning $100,000 now; which would be tight unless I pay off my mortgage too.  And I'm hearing social security will be at 2/3 of what it should be when I will be needing it (grrr).
Added to

SAM

Bought back into but this time in my brokerage due to foreign taxes paid

TSM

new add

MTTR
Ken

3 million will be more then enough at 60

That's my goal, and we're basically the same age. If I can get there B4 60 I'll let you know if it's not enough lol
(09-23-2021, 08:20 PM)rayray Wrote: Added to

SAM

Bought back into

TSM

new add

MTTR
I am not feeling that SAM purchase at all.  Keep an eye on earnings projections.  Great brand but people are fickle and Momo has left the building.  If it doesn't hit $400 I'll retract this comment.  I hope I have to actually.
(09-23-2021, 08:32 PM)fenders53 Wrote: [

I am not feeling that SAM purchase at all.  Keep an eye on earnings projections.  Great brand but people are fickle and Momo has left the building.  If it doesn't hit $400 I'll retract this comment.  I hope I have to actually.

I'd be selling a call spread everyday that closes above prior day high, but SAM is not something I follow.
SAM went straight up, like 7X over 3 years or so. It has been in a painful retrace cliff dive almost daily since APR. Can't catch a bid since. Makes BABA chart look tame. I would wait for signs of a bottom if I wanted to hold it. Maybe Ray is aware of future growth but the market sure isn't convinced.
(09-23-2021, 08:32 PM)fenders53 Wrote:
(09-23-2021, 08:20 PM)rayray Wrote: Added to

SAM

Bought back into

TSM

new add

MTTR
I am not feeling that SAM purchase at all.  Keep an eye on earnings projections.  Great brand but people are fickle and Momo has left the building.  If it doesn't hit $400 I'll retract this comment.  I hope I have to actually

i understand not feeling it, i'm buying slow, currently at 1/5th of a full position--a full position is 15k

i'm also thinking of buying bf/a (own bf/b) haven't bought bf in about 6 years
Over in the ROTH, sold DRN and put half into UPST and half into FB.
added some HRL and AEP.

Glad I kept BABA on my watch list and didn't buy. It's still bleeding. No support until $132. It breaks that and unfortunately it may go to next support in mid 70's.

This just says don't invest in Chinese companies. Crazy it's been straight down since $304
BABA is past any sort of technical support long ago IMO. It's just a victim of the daily news cycle from the CCP. BABA is the target at least once a week. It's one of the weirdest stock stories you are ever going to see. Everybody knows they have better financials than 95% of the companies on earth. China isn't going to kill their golden goose but they are not afraid to put them on a short leash. BABA has a bottom, and somebody will make money. The biggest problem for anybody way underwater is all the fellow bag holders. Every time it tries to run 10% from wherever the bottom is, investors will dump it out of relief. It could be years before BABA ever sees 200 again. The investor uncertainty will be there for a decade or more. Fundamentals don't matter at all until you believe the CCP won't take it away with little notice.
(09-24-2021, 10:01 AM)kblake Wrote: added some HRL and AEP.

Glad I kept BABA on my watch list and didn't buy. It's still bleeding. No support until $132. It  breaks that and unfortunately it may go to next support in mid 70's.

This just says don't invest in Chinese companies.  Crazy it's been straight down since $304

Wise choice.... I've been holding the BABA handbag since 211$ and dont know how much more I could keep holding... May double down if it comes around $120