Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What I Am Buying Today.
I didn't buy anything, I just started a new thread to help out FenderS! =)
My website: DGI For The DIY
Also on: Facebook - Twitter - Seeking Alpha
(09-03-2021, 03:34 PM)EricL Wrote: I didn't buy anything, I just started a new thread to help out Fenders! =)
Thanks, I didn't buy anything either.  Next week I think I will start watching some stocks that will probably have their earnings hit a bit by Delta this quarter, or benefit from infrastructure.  That seems inevitable.  

-Cruise lines are obvious and will probably be attractive soon.  
-Airlines are obvious but I would need a deal.  They are so tangled up in GOV funny money I don't know what a good price looks like.
-Not touching hotels.
-Quality restaurants aren't likely to dip even if it gets pretty bad.  If they do I will jump in.  They have adapted to Covid conditions well enough and widespread lock downs aren't happening again. 

Infrastructure deal will pass in some form.  I will carefully read the details on whatever does pass.  3.5T sounds huge for stocks.  Something smaller spread out over ten years not so earthshaking.  There will be some winning subsectors in there, but I'm not convinced it's as easy as buying some huge cap industrial with an already high PE. 

Unemployment kicker just ended but supposedly people have lots of cash to spend?  I am very wary of pure retail without a significant correction.  

Many other sectors I have no short term opinion on.  Anyone have any compelling buys for the next few weeks since this is the buying thread?
(09-03-2021, 04:23 PM)fenders53 Wrote:
(09-03-2021, 03:34 PM)EricL Wrote: I didn't buy anything, I just started a new thread to help out Fenders! =)
Thanks, I didn't buy anything either.  Next week I think I will start watching some stocks that will probably have their earnings hit a bit by Delta this quarter, or benefit from infrastructure.  That seems inevitable.  

-Airlines are obvious but I would need a deal.  They are so tangled up in GOV funny money I don't know what a good price looks like.
-Not touching hotels.
-Quality restaurants aren't likely to dip even if it gets pretty bad.  If they do I will jump in.  They have adapted to Covid conditions well enough and widespread lock downs aren't happening again. 

Infrastructure deal will pass in some form.  I will carefully read the details on whatever does pass.  3.5T sounds huge for stocks.  Something smaller spread out over ten years not so earthshaking.  There will be some winning subsectors in there, but I'm not convinced it's as easy as buying some huge cap industrial with an already high PE. 

Unemployment kicker just ended but supposedly people have lots of cash to spend?  I am very wary of pure retail without a significant correction.  

Many other sectors I have no short term opinion on.  Anyone have any compelling buys for the next few weeks since this is the buying thread?

Have to think with all of the natural disasters and flooding in recent weeks that the home improvement stores should continue to do well.

LOW looks most attractive to me at a 23 PE.

I also continue to like energy. Both crude and natural gas stocks continue to draw, there are serious supply disruptions in the Gulf, and with schools reopening again nationwide, I think demand will surprise to the upside.
My website: DGI For The DIY
Also on: Facebook - Twitter - Seeking Alpha
(09-04-2021, 08:06 AM)EricL Wrote:
(09-03-2021, 04:23 PM)fenders53 Wrote:

-Not touching hotels.

Have to think with all of the natural disasters and flooding in recent weeks that the home improvement stores should continue to do well.

LOW looks most attractive to me at a 23 PE.

I also continue to like energy. Both crude and natural gas stocks continue to draw, there are serious supply disruptions in the Gulf, and with schools reopening again nationwide, I think demand will surprise to the upside.
Disasters are timely for home improvement.  They are up against some very tough comps and the Covid DIY bump appears to have subsided.  This might fix the next quarter.  Several lumber mills curtailed production the past week or so because lumber futures crashed.  What a crazy volatile business.

Oil dipped too much.  I see no chance of a crash.
MTCH, cday, bro being added to spy. UNM out( ouch).

I think stockguru bought MTCH a while back, still holding?
Not seeing many deals out there, so maybe time to just add to quality?
So I added to a name we haven't heard of in ages!
JNJ!

Also added a bit to AQN.
Added to MRK. Good day to pick some up when they are down over 2.5% and a week before ex-div.
Anyone into LMT? At $350 looking good to add more but I feel this might drop down further.
(09-07-2021, 10:52 AM)vbin Wrote: Anyone into LMT? At $350 looking good to add more but I feel this might drop down further.
I have my thoughts that political banter may drive it a bit lower.  (Move a few defense bucks to the free stuff for all program).  LMT is a core part of my long-term defensive port so that doesn't shake me, but we all expect the market to pullback at some point this fall.  I won't be shocked if I get a chance to pick up some sub 340 shares.  I honestly think RTX is more attractive for now with their commercial aviation exposure.  That may see a few infrastructure bucks.  IMO anything remotely industrial gets a haircut if the market takes a breather.   

BTW what was the cheapest you got BABA shares at during your buy a little everyday program?  Smile
(09-07-2021, 10:48 AM)ChadR Wrote: Added to MRK.  Good day to pick some up when they are down over 2.5% and a week before ex-div.
There is only one big cap pharma stock more annoying than MRK.  Big Grin
(09-07-2021, 11:16 AM)fenders53 Wrote:
(09-07-2021, 10:52 AM)vbin Wrote: Anyone into LMT? At $350 looking good to add more but I feel this might drop down further.
I have my thoughts that political banter may drive it a bit lower.  (Move a few defense bucks to the free stuff for all program).  LMT is a core part of my long-term defensive port so that doesn't shake me, but we all expect the market to pullback at some point this fall.  I won't be shocked if I get a chance to pick up some sub 340 shares.  I honestly think RTX is more attractive for now with their commercial aviation exposure.  That may see a few infrastructure bucks.  IMO anything remotely industrial gets a haircut if the market takes a breather.   

BTW what was the cheapest you got BABA shares at during your buy a little everyday program?  Smile
I hope we see another leg down on baba and tencent. I still have bullets left to fire at it.

The cheapest I got was $154( very tiny) but meaningful lot at $160
(09-07-2021, 11:22 AM)vbin Wrote:
(09-07-2021, 11:16 AM)fenders53 Wrote:

I hope we see another leg down on baba and tencent. I still have bullets left to fire at it.

The cheapest I got was $154( very tiny) but meaningful lot at $160
If the market dips you'll get a chance for sure.  You know how this game works.  A couple dead cat bounces by the impatient and then sellers will dry up while it bases.  You just need China to stop scaring the market and they will some month soon.  IMO it may be a very long time before BABA truly flies but it's pretty safe not much lower than this.  I tend to get sucked into the dips too early.  It's worse lately as we have been punished for not aggressively buying every dip for years now.  I will need extremes to talk me into China stocks. Not ruling it out but it will not be a big bet.

Still simplifying my port gradually.  Dumped GOLD, sold a NEM put to replace it.  I don't want a lot more gold related exposure but IMO patience will be rewarded when the market figures out the FED can't actually tighten without hurting the market and that is politically unacceptable before midterms.  We'll see if my thesis is right by spring.

Sold the last of my GNRC.  Crazy good one year ride and and further upside would be hysteria.  I'll be back to GNRC but the PEG is nutty now.  Just not going to be greedy.