Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What are your winners & losers today?
We were hoping you didn't jump out of a basement window. Smile NAIL looks strong. Definitely on my watch list next time I think we are coming out of a housing bottom. My port did OK today. I don't own a lot of precious metals but they have been getting hammered the past few weeks. They seem to have found a bottom for now.
Basement window, clever choice of words!

You are right it's my first momo stock and I totally get there will be ebbs & flows. I'm going to stick with it a bit longer. My initial purchase is still profitable, though later ones aren't.

As for NAIL, yeah wow it's back in the 90s. It really moves around! I don't have it at the moment. In general I think it is buy in the 60s and sell in the 80s. If it gets to the 90s that's great but I don't think it can be used in a buy-and-hold format. LABU I'm totally done with.

I should have $7k more coming in tomorrow for the taxable account.

Company stock continues to slowly fade. I'm trying to just sell on Fridays.
(08-11-2021, 04:12 PM)ken-do-nim Wrote: Basement window, clever choice of words!

You are right it's my first momo stock and I totally get there will be ebbs & flows.  I'm going to stick with it a bit longer.  My initial purchase is still profitable, though later ones aren't.

As for NAIL, yeah wow it's back in the 90s.  It really moves around!  I don't have it at the moment.  In general I think it is buy in the 60s and sell in the 80s.  If it gets to the 90s that's great but I don't think it can be used in a buy-and-hold format.  LABU I'm totally done with.

I should have $7k more coming in tomorrow for the taxable account.

Company stock continues to slowly fade.  I'm trying to just sell on Fridays.
We learn as we go.  MRNA is a great company and a horribly priced stock right now.  I have no idea where it finds a bottom but it has no nearby technical support for now.  The stock is probably worth 250 so be careful and don't add for now.  It will probably dead cat bounce higher at some point then try to find a bottom.  The Delta theme won't last.  That is already baked into fundamentals many dollars ago.  Meme stocks get thrown to the curb when the latecomers start getting killed.  MRNA has too much market cap for retail to control for more than a day or two.
There was a lot of green in the port today, but the taxable account just couldn't handle RIO, DFEN, SOXL, and STX being down. Still, nice days from CURE, AAPL, and TECL.

ROTH was up; actually everything was green there, led by TTD. Now you think Moderna is over-priced, Trade Desk has a 161 PE ratio ...
Well I got rocked today. Taxable down 1.78%, ROTH up 0.60%.

Taxable
CURE up 3.35%
everybody else: down... RETL down over 8% unsurprisingly

ROTH
MRNA up over 7% after its precipitous fall the past week
ISRG up 1.65%
everybody else: down, but not terribly so, hence eking out a small gain
Looks like port beta a little over 2. Very efficient. You should be able to squeeze an entire year of action into just under six months. I am down about 0.6% today. Defensive stuff was popular for the moment.
HD took a beating

ABBV at all time highs.
(08-17-2021, 04:58 PM)NilesMike Wrote: HD took a beating

ABBV at all time highs.

Yes poor HD Sad

JNJ at an all-time high too (I've been watching it).  Although it has definitely taken off since I berated it for no movement, I'm not sorry because I took everything I had in JNJ and moved it into CURE, which is 10% JNJ anyway, and CURE has been my star this year.
(08-17-2021, 06:04 PM)ken-do-nim Wrote:

ABBV at all time highs.

Yes poor HD Sad

JNJ at an all-time high too (I've been watching it).  Although it has definitely taken off since I berated it for no movement, I'm not sorry because I took everything I had in JNJ and moved it into CURE, which is 10% JNJ anyway, and CURE has been my star this year.
Don't get shaken out of HD Ken.  They have been a top 5 retailer for a very long time.  Retail is VERY complicated right now.  YOY COMPS are just insane.  It's entirely possible they could put up a flat quarter this year.  I could list ten reasons why a lesser company could have missed earnings today but they mitigated every problem they could.  A weak quarter would be a long-term gift as you could add some shares that aren't over-priced.  I will buy my HD back if we get a dip and I will buy it aggressively if it keeps falling.  The market loves HD so you generally have to wait for a very rough market to get a great deal on shares.
(08-17-2021, 08:16 PM)fenders53 Wrote:

ABBV at all time highs.

Yes poor HD Sad

Don't get shaken out of HD Ken.  They have been a top 5 retailer for a very long time.  Retail is VERY complicated right now.  YOY COMPS are just insane.  It's entirely possible they could put up a flat quarter this year.  I could list ten reasons why a lesser company could have missed earnings today but they mitigated every problem they could.  A weak quarter would be a long-term gift as you could add some shares that aren't over-priced.  I will buy my HD back if we get a dip and I will buy it aggressively if it keeps falling.  The market loves HD so you generally have to wait for a very rough market to get a great deal on shares.

Well, besides being a DGI stock, HD also falls into my "have stock in stores you shop at all the time" strategy, so it's safe Smile  Otherwise, for other DGI companies like say L3 Harris that I have no particular affinity for, they have to beat SCHD to stay in my port.  Of course, the key unspoken phrase there is "over time".

TSM on the other hand is having a bad year and I'm currently negative on it.  However, I'm convinced that once the chip shortage is over, it will resume its steep ascent, so I'm holding, though I did trim it recently.
(08-17-2021, 08:37 PM)ken-do-nim Wrote:
(08-17-2021, 08:16 PM)fenders53 Wrote:

ABBV at all time highs.

Yes poor HD Sad

Well, besides being a DGI stock, HD also falls into my "have stock in stores you shop at all the time" strategy, so it's safe Smile  Otherwise, for other DGI companies like say L3 Harris that I have no particular affinity for, they have to beat SCHD to stay in my port.  Of course, the key unspoken phrase there is "over time".

TSM on the other hand is having a bad year and I'm currently negative on it.  However, I'm convinced that once the chip shortage is over, it will resume its steep ascent, so I'm holding, though I did trim it recently.
Yes TSM is getting stale.  I wouldn't care if it was truly undervalued, but it really isn't.  I've been selling covered calls against my shares to get my basis down.  I really did think TSM would camp out around 125 with the market at new ATHs for months.  I would swap my TSM for another chip if there was one of similar quality that was also down about as much.  That chip stock doesn't exist to my knowledge.  I am certain TSM will be much higher in a few years so this isn't an emergency.
I hope everyone celebrates tonight!

For me, my taxable account was up 2.04% (all-time high), the ROTH 3.61%, and even my company stock joined in the fun and was up 2.83%.

SOXL was the big winner today, up 8.06%.